Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Competitive REL » Post: Altered Double-Faced Cards

Altered Double-Faced Cards

May 16, 2016 07:09:12 AM

Sal Cortez
Judge (Level 1 (Judge Academy))

USA - Pacific West

I know we've talked about altered cards (probably more than we really need to) but I was curious about something.

Let's say Alphonse is playing with 3 copies of Geier Reach Bandit in their deck, and are using checklist cards to represent them in the deck. They have 3 of the actual Geier Reach Bandit in clear sleeves in their deck box, but one or more are altered / border extended. Would you allow this?

I know Altered Art cards have been discussed before, but DFCs are different. Assuming checklist cards are used, DFCs can be brought from the sideboard whenever the checklist card is cast and you can use whichever copy you want, altered or unaltered.

What do you think of these scenarios. For each scenario Alphonse has 3 GRB listed on their deck registration sheet, and 3 checklist cards (with GRB checked) in the actual deck.

1) Alphonse has 3 unaltered copies of GRBs in their deckbox in clear sleeves, and 1 altered GRB as well but the alter leaves the text boxes untouched (extended border). So 4 copies total in deck box.

2) Alphonse has 2 unaltered copies of GRBs in their deckbox in clear sleeves, and 1 altered GRB as well but the alter leaves the text boxes untouched (extended border). So 3 copies total in deck box.

3) Alphonse has 3 altered GRBs in their deckbox in a clear sleeve, but the alter leaves the text boxes untouched (extended border). So 3 copies total in deck box, but none are unaltered.

An example of an altered GRB with text boxes untouched (extended border):
https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/13237801_10208697715256649_7809079270242752613_n.jpg?oh=69c0d7f6162e39ca86598fbd65d68493&oe=579E932E

I guess my point is are alters for DFCs okay since the player can easily reach over and show the opponent an unaltered copy from their deckbox?

May 16, 2016 07:17:13 AM

Mark Mc Govern
Judge (Level 2 (International Judge Program))

United Kingdom, Ireland, and South Africa

I'm ok with all 3 scenarios. As a general statement, art extensions that leave the text box clear and visible quite alright.

1) If someone is using checklists, then the actual Bandits are deemed to not exist for Deck Check purposes. So someone could have 8 (4 front facing and 4 reverse facing). So long as they are in different sleeves (to prevent accidental shuffling in) they're fine.

2) Fine

3) Fine

In the case of DFCs, I'm actually a little more forgiving of some of the restrictions on alters. I don't mind if the alteration messes with the card thickness or flexibility, as it's not ever going to be in the deck if they are using checklists.

May 16, 2016 08:05:30 AM

Sal Cortez

USA - Pacific West

I was thinking the same thing! That's usually my criteria for allowing an altered card, if all the text boxes are kept clear.

What if the card is completely covered, but the art is kept the same? What if only the name is visible? Are we more forgiving for alters in this case as well? I knew players were allowed to have more copies than what was listed on the deck reg sheet, even having two times as many to show front / back. I mostly wanted to know if they had the 3 normal ones was it okay to have the one altered one to actually use. I mean, as long as the minimum number of actual cards are there, do we actually care what they use to put on top of the check list card? Proxies? Printed out / notebook paper? 3D card? oversized card?

The main concerns with alters is sometimes thickness, where marked cards are concerned. But what about readability, text? Is this still a concern?

Edited Sal Cortez (May 16, 2016 08:11:02 AM)

May 16, 2016 08:13:05 AM

Mark Mc Govern
Judge (Level 2 (International Judge Program))

So long as it follows the MTR guidelines ("provided that the modifications do not make the card art unrecognizable, contain substantial strategic advice, or contain offensive images. Artistic modifications also may not obstruct or change the mana cost or name of the card.") then I don't see a problem. Especially if the player has an unmodified version available for opponents to read.

May 17, 2016 05:42:47 AM

Matthew Johnson
Judge (Level 3 (UK Magic Officials))

I should note that I have a 3D Delver of Secrets alter (about 1cm thick, made up of layering multiple delvers on top of each other cutting out more bits each time, same on both sides) which I use when playing delver (as well as actual delvers), which everyone has always been happy with, so that shows you the extent to which we can be more flexible when it's a DFC with checklists in use.

May 17, 2016 08:15:30 AM

Sal Cortez

USA - Pacific West

I kind of figured that as long as each checklist card was represented by a real card and nothing deceptive was going on things would be fine c:

May 17, 2016 08:37:24 AM

Riki Hayashi
Judge (Uncertified), Scorekeeper, Tournament Organizer

USA - Midatlantic

Originally posted by Sal Cortez:

I kind of figured that as long as each checklist card was represented by a real card and nothing deceptive was going on things would be fine c:

I just want to be clear that the DFC should still be a real card as well, but the restrictions on the alterations may not be as stringent because the card should never in theory be in a hidden zone.