Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Tournament Operations » Post: Revealing Hidden Information

Revealing Hidden Information

Feb. 1, 2013 11:31:51 AM

Rebecca Lawrence
Judge (Uncertified)

USA - Midatlantic

MTR 3.12 allows players to reveal hidden information to which they are currently privy “unless specifically prohibited by the rules”. I have two questions:

1) Are there any examples where this specific prohibition is true? The CR technically says other players can't look at my hand, after all…

2) If you're in the process of resolving some effect that allows you to look at your library, does this provision also allow you to reveal your library, if you choose to do so?

I suspect on 1 I am incorrectly conflating “look at” with “reveal” in terms of what the CR does or does not specifically prohibit, but I'd like to be sure/get clarification. And I grant that 2 is not likely to come up often, but it's an interesting thing to think about. You might be playing an eggs combo or something where you only have one kill spell, but your opponent refuses to concede in the interest of time thinking you're bluffing. Being able to show them what they're up against without receiving a penalty may prove useful.

Feb. 1, 2013 11:42:06 AM

Kevin Binswanger
Judge (Uncertified)

USA - South

That MTR excerpt is talking about when the rules specifically prohibit
you from showing hidden information, not just when information is
hidden. For example, look at MTR 7.7.

If you are allowed to look at your library because, for example,
you're searching it, you are allowed to show some or all of those
cards to your opponent.

Kevin Binswanger