Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Competitive REL » Post: Concession in Response to looking at a Milled Library

Concession in Response to looking at a Milled Library

June 13, 2016 08:13:47 PM [Original Post]

Kevin Wellens
Judge (Uncertified)

USA - North

In game one at a Competitive REL tournament, AP controls Helm of Obdience and Rest in Peace. AP activates Helm of Obdience and targets NAP. NAP obliges, and flips his entire library over into his exile.

AP asks to see NAP's exile zone. Realizing what is happening, NAP concedes the game and scoops up his cards, in order to keep his library secret. AP asks to see his deck. NAP refuses. Judge is called.

Is AP allowed to see the NAP's library when there was a point in the game where it was public information?

I'm trying to locate more information on the above scenario, but I have been unsuccessful, or might be looking in the wrong places. MTR doesn't detail what goes into conceding the game, and the Comprehensive Rules just confirm what is and isn't public information.

Thanks for any insight!

June 14, 2016 05:36:55 AM [Marked as Accepted Answer]

Scott Marshall
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 4 (Judge Foundry)), Hall of Fame

USA - Northwest

I've said it before, it still applies:
The only thing faster than a concession, is the Elbow of Justice (i.e., a Judge assessing a penalty).

I could pick up the top card of my library, intending to reveal it for Dark Confidant; realize that you haven't seen this card yet, and it's CMC is enough to kill me; concede before revealing it. I could do the same for Counterbalance, or Courser of Kruphix. (Yes, this is contrary to what Dan said, above.)

d:^D

June 13, 2016 09:10:52 PM

Benjamin Lurie
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Academy))

USA - Great Lakes

I'm not one to be super-picky on this. A player may concede at any time and I'm not going to force a player who has conceded a game to show those cards to their opponent. But perhaps other judges will disagree with me.

June 13, 2016 09:11:45 PM

Frankie Hughes
Judge (Uncertified)

USA - Northwest

104.3a A player can concede the game at any time. A player who concedes leaves the game immediately. He or she loses the game.

When the player leaves the game, they take all owned cards with them. Since the player's deck is no long in a public zone, it is no longer public knowledge. At least, that's how I would rule it.

June 13, 2016 09:18:11 PM

Dan Collins
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 5 (Judge Foundry))

USA - Northeast

I am generally of the opinion that if a player /looks at/ the cards, they're obligated to /reveal/ them. Counterbalance is a common example - you don't get to look at the card, you only reveal it. If you look at it and decide you don't want to reveal your secret sideboard tech just yet, too bad - that information is now public. You've either looked at extra cards, or resolved counterbalance incorrectly.

In other words, if you don't want to reveal them, don't reveal them. You can't get the shot at a blind flip for Counterbalance /and/ the ability to hide the next card. Same with “play with the top card of your library revealed” effects.

Now, Mindslaver/“can I see your sideboard” is a common exception to that, but I am of the mind that a player may not hide free information about the game state from their opponents.

With the situation given here, there's no advantage gained by NAP by allowing the mill to resolve (he was milling his entire library, there's no information he improperly gained). So while I maintain that NAP is not permitted to flip his library and then hide the cards, I don't care strongly about it, and would neither infract nor require NAP to reveal his entire deck now (between games).

Edited Dan Collins (June 13, 2016 09:18:52 PM)

June 14, 2016 03:17:10 AM

Francesco Scialpi
Judge (Level 2 (International Judge Program))

Italy and Malta

Originally posted by Frankie Hughes:

104.3a A player can concede the game at any time. A player who concedes leaves the game immediately. He or she loses the game.

As a reference, this goes as far as conceding during resolution of a spell or ability, i.e.:

AP casts Slaughter Games.
NAP: “Resolves. What do you name?”
AP names a card.
NAP concedes, and scoops, without revealing anything.

Edited Francesco Scialpi (June 14, 2016 03:18:51 AM)

June 14, 2016 05:36:55 AM [Marked as Accepted Answer]

Scott Marshall
Forum Moderator

USA - Northwest

I've said it before, it still applies:
The only thing faster than a concession, is the Elbow of Justice (i.e., a Judge assessing a penalty).

I could pick up the top card of my library, intending to reveal it for Dark Confidant; realize that you haven't seen this card yet, and it's CMC is enough to kill me; concede before revealing it. I could do the same for Counterbalance, or Courser of Kruphix. (Yes, this is contrary to what Dan said, above.)

June 14, 2016 08:42:41 AM

Jonas Breindahl
Judge (Uncertified)

Europe - North

Originally posted by Scott Marshall:

And why do we allow this? Why not tell the player that the rules say to reveal the card so if he can see it the opponent can see it as well?

June 14, 2016 09:08:53 AM

Scott Marshall
Forum Moderator

USA - Northwest

Why be so mean? :p

(Yes, I'm serious.)

June 14, 2016 11:52:47 AM

Dan Collins
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 5 (Judge Foundry))

USA - Northeast

Is there any other case where we allow a player to take an illegal action on the basis that politely asking that they follow the rules would be “mean”?

Edited to add: Obviously this is a situation that doesn't come up all that often, so I don't want to spend much more time arguing it. My position is that I'm not interested in allowing this player to look at his library before deciding if he wants to mill himself, or reveal for Bob. There are two players in the game, and all the opponent is asking is that he be allowed to see cards that he is entitled to see.

In the case of a player rushing a Probe or Thoughtsieze, picking up their cards once their opponent draws, or chooses a card, but before they're finished writing them down, it is well established that we will ask the player to keep their hand revealed until the opponent has had a chance to write down the cards. I can't look at the top card of my library before deciding if I want to reveal it to Counterbalance, so either I've looked at a card for no reason, or I've intentionally hidden free information from my opponent.

Edited Dan Collins (June 15, 2016 10:11:28 PM)

June 14, 2016 11:59:40 AM

Jona Bemindt
Judge (Level 3 (Judge Academy))

BeNeLux

What illegal action are we talking about? The “at any time” seems to be quite all-compassing.

June 14, 2016 01:04:13 PM

Eli Meyer
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Academy))

USA - Northeast

Originally posted by Jona Bemindt:

What illegal action are we talking about? The “at any time” seems to be quite all-compassing.
So, full disclosure: this argument pops up every six months and has been beaten to death. But for everything “everyone” knows about, someone learns about it the first time on any given day. Congratulations, you're one of the ten thousand!

The argument generally goes as follows: no instruction allows the player to look at any cards. The active player could have conceded before the cards were revealed, in which case AP was not entitled to look at them; or, AP could concede after the card is revealed, in which AP is not entitled to conceal them.

The general consensus of program leadership, however, is that this technical reading is unnecessarily “mean,” to use Scott's words. Concession can happen at any time, even half-way through the process of revealing a card, when it's only revealed to one player. This isn't something we should worry about.

Beyond that, however, I'll remind everyone that this argument has been discussed over and over and new ground it unlikely to be broken. It's also a fairly extreme corner case; I've literally never seen this call nor heard of it happening live. I'm sure that it comes up from time to time, but it's so uncommon that the payoff to getting a “perfect” policy about it is not worth the effort.

June 14, 2016 01:37:55 PM

Scott Marshall
Forum Moderator

USA - Northwest

Originally posted by Eli Meyer:

I've literally never seen this call nor heard of it happening live. I'm sure that it comes up from time to time
It came up (infrequently!) when Mindslaver was commonly played - but that doesn't contradict what you said, Eli. If anything, it confirms your “corner case” description.

Also, Eli, thanks for the summation, and especially for the xkcd link!

June 14, 2016 04:35:44 PM

Dan Milavitz
Judge (Level 3 (Judge Foundry))

USA - North

I have a (somewhat) related question: if a player asked you if they could look at the top card of their library before deciding to either reveal for counterbalance or concede, would you let them?

June 14, 2016 05:10:48 PM

Joshua Feingold
Judge (Uncertified)

USA - Midatlantic

“You can concede at any time.”

June 14, 2016 08:15:11 PM

Kevin Wellens
Judge (Uncertified)

USA - North

Thanks for the responses everyone.

It makes sense that they are not required to reveal the information, but I wanted to be sure. I apologize if this is a reposted question.