Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Competitive REL » Post: Revealing cards vs. actually casting them

Revealing cards vs. actually casting them

Aug. 7, 2016 01:13:25 PM

Jasper König
Judge (Uncertified)

German-speaking countries

Adam and Nathan are playing in a PPTQ. The format is modern. Adam is playing a burn deck. Nathan is at 6 life, but has several creatures, among them a lifelink creature (Archangel of Thune). Nathan has no untapped mana sources. Adam has a Skullcrack and a Lava Spike in hand, but only 2 mana available. He goes into his turn and draws Lightning Bolt.

Adam reveals Lava Spike and Lightning Bolt. He actually just says “Lava Spike, Lightning Bolt?”. He does not announce any targets (there are, in theory, multiple possible targets for Lightning Bolt) and he doesn't tap any mana.

Nathan points at his Spellskite and says “redirect Lightning Bolt, I'm going to 1.”.

Adam says “Wait, I didn't actually cast them, I just showed them.”

They call a judge. What do you do? Where do we draw the line between “just showing cards” and “actually playing them”.

Aug. 7, 2016 01:46:05 PM

Scott Marshall
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 4 (Judge Foundry)), Hall of Fame

USA - Southwest

I'm going to want Adam to convince me he had a very good reason to just “show off” his cards in this manner. Players just don't do that, and - from this remote perspective - it sounds to me like Adam thought he'd just won, and was showing that to Nathan. When Nathan shows Adam the error in his assumption, Adam wants to change his story? Hmmmm…

d:^D

Aug. 7, 2016 04:37:35 PM

Philip Böhm
Judge (Uncertified), Tournament Organizer

To me what happened most likely here is this:
Adam proposed a shortcut to Nathan. Nathan accepted that shortcut and will interrupt it with Spellskite before Lightning Bolt resolves.

Aug. 13, 2016 01:53:56 PM

Jochem van 't Hull
Judge (Level 1 (International Judge Program))

BeNeLux

Adam hasn't paid any costs… so how much clout do we as judges have to make him stick to his very-obviously-implied-but-technically-not-actually-executed line? I think AP is partly responsible for this mess by jumping the gun.

Edited Jochem van 't Hull (Aug. 13, 2016 01:54:59 PM)

Aug. 13, 2016 02:28:41 PM

Johannes Wagner
Judge (Level 2 (International Judge Program))

What do we do when he reveals the Bolt first/he says he casts the bolt first? The shortcut got interrupted by the use of Spellskite.

Aug. 13, 2016 04:38:13 PM

Toby Hazes
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Academy)), TLC

BeNeLux

Originally posted by Jochem van 't Hull:

Adam hasn't paid any costs… so how much clout do we as judges have to make him stick to his very-obviously-implied-but-technically-not-actually-executed line? I think AP is partly responsible for this mess by jumping the gun.

Here's some similar discussions =D
http://apps.magicjudges.org/forum/topic/13493/
http://apps.magicjudges.org/forum/topic/4930/

Aug. 15, 2016 03:48:09 PM

Lyle Waldman
Judge (Uncertified)

Canada - Eastern Provinces

Hm. Based on the second thread Toby linked above (which I was a part of but completely forgot existed) I believe this would be UC - Cheating. To quote from Uncle Scott's last post in that thread:

Originally posted by Scott Marshall:

While we can't force Alice to use mana abilities, we can record a GRV for starting to cast a spell and not being able to pay for it.

And if we believe that GRV is intentional, to gain advantage, and that Alice knew that was wrong? Well, now we have another conversation.

This situation seems textbook for this test. We can't force Adam to use his mana, but we can give him a GRV for attempting to cast his spells without paying mana (I believe the rationale for Adam casting his spell here, rather than just “showing cards” is pretty agreed upon and thus I'll skip over it). From there:

- Was it intentional? I believe so, due to Adam not only showing the cards, but also naming them.

- Was it to gain advantage? Most certainly, Adam thought he was about to win the game, and if Nathan scooped, he would have.

- Did he know it was wrong? This is a bit fuzzier and likely needs investigation, but like Uncle Scott above, I would need some pretty darned clear and irrefutable answer that he didn't before I believe it.

As for the secondary question, where is the line between “revealing cards” and “casting spells”, I think it depends on communication. For example:

Scenario 1) I show you Lava Spike and Lightning Bolt. I say “Lava Spike you, Lightning Bolt you, you're dead”, but I fail to tap my lands. That's “playing” but failure to pay costs; I have clearly identified the cards, I have clearly chosen targets, and since the game is about to be over, actually tapping lands is largely a formality since they're about to be scooped up anyway.

Scenario 2) I show you Lava Spike and Lightning Bolt. I say “I have these 2 cards and 2 untapped Mountains. Do you concede?”. That's “showing”; I have not made mention anywhere that I am casting the spell, nor have I chosen targets. I haven't even said anything intimating any sort of game result, like “you're dead” or “I win” etc. I simply asked if you would like to concede, out of the goodness of your heart, because I have these cards.

The exact line is somewhere in the middle between those, but that's where I stand on it, personally.

Edited Lyle Waldman (Aug. 15, 2016 03:54:59 PM)

Aug. 15, 2016 08:08:11 PM

Olivier Jansen
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Academy))

USA - Northeast

What about this twist I've seen: Adam is at 4 Nathan is at 6. Adam has an eidolon out, and knows he's dead. Adam has double bolt in hand. Adam would like to bluff a concession out of Nathan. What's the best legal way Adam can do this?

Aug. 15, 2016 08:48:55 PM

John Brian McCarthy
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 5 (Judge Foundry)), Grand Prix Head Judge

USA - Midatlantic

Originally posted by Olivier Jansen:

Adam would like to bluff a concession out of Nathan. What's the best legal way Adam can do this?

That's not a question I'd ever answer from a player. JudgeApps isn't the place to find a roadmap to shenanigans.

Aug. 15, 2016 09:45:51 PM

Eli Meyer
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Academy))

USA - Northeast

When investigating this case, it's also worth trying to figure out how players have been playing up to this point.

If the active player has been going “bolt, you're at 13? tap my mountain, by the way,” all game, it seems extremely unlikely he was simply “showing” anything. However, if the active player has said “tap my mountain for lightning bolt, target you” every time he's cast one this match, then suddenly “Lava Spike, Lightning Bolt” is enough of a break from the norm that I might be convinced it wasn't cast yet. (emphasis on “might”)