Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Competitive REL » Post: Philosophy behind pointing out missed triggers

Philosophy behind pointing out missed triggers

Oct. 3, 2016 05:17:58 PM

Stephen Tran
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Academy))

Canada - Eastern Provinces

It seems like everytime I think I understand missed triggers, something else causes me doubt. I'm likely overthinking, but trying to find solutions has only raised more questions. As such, I'd like to ask about a few examples.

Most players familiar with competitive Magic are aware that some triggers your opponents control don't have to be pointed out. These are usually beneficial to your opponent.
E.g. Nate doesn't have to point out Ann's prowess/exalted triggers. Straight out of IPG 2.1, if Ann attacks with alone with a Knight of Infamy and says “Take two”, Nate can take 2 damage with neither player receiving a penalty.

Q1. Prowess and Exalted have invisible effects on the game state. Does Heroic work the same way despite having a visible effect? I.e. does Nate have to remind Ann to put a counter on the Heroic creature if Ann forgets? I'm almost certain the answer is no but I'd like confirmation.

From IPG 4.8 (Cheating), example D suggests that Nate is cheating if he notices that Ann only resolved half of Sword of Feast and Famine's trigger.

Q2a) Does it matter which half was resolved? Or is the problem here that a trigger cannot be allowed to only resolve halfway?
Q2b) If the Sword's trigger was split into two separate ones, would this still be considered Cheating?
Q2c) If Ann failed to acknowledge her Sword trigger at all, does Nate have to remind her?
Q2d) If the answer to 2c is Yes, does this apply to every Sword? E.g. for Light and Shadow, shouldn't Ann be able to miss her lifegain trigger and have it assumed she chose not to return a creature to her hand? If the answer to 2c is No, disregard this.

Oct. 3, 2016 05:37:14 PM

Jeff S Higgins
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Academy))

USA - Pacific Northwest

Q1: No

Q2a: Does not matter which half. You're correct; you cannot let a trigger partially resolve.

Q2b: No, since each trigger resolves independently.

Q2c: No

Q2d: Light and Shadow is templated so that you return Up to one, and that number can be zero. You can't let her return the creature and not gain life.

Oct. 5, 2016 02:34:41 AM

Markus Dietrich
Judge (Level 2 (International Judge Program))

German-speaking countries

Adding to Jeff's answer the part of the puzzle you might miss: If Ann resolves halve of the trigger she has shown that she didn't miss it and it can't be Missed Trigger anymore. If both players would not notice and call a judge later the correct penalty would be a Game Rule Violation