Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Judging Technology » Post: Introduction to Bugko for Android / iOS / Windows / Windows Phone

Introduction to Bugko for Android / iOS / Windows / Windows Phone

July 18, 2017 11:15:37 AM

Bowei Shi
Judge (Level 1 (Judge Academy))

Greater China

Legalities of cards in Unglued and Unhinged are false. They are illegal in Legacy Vintage Commander and so on.

July 18, 2017 11:40:53 AM

Keng Siang Ooi
Judge (Level 2 (International Judge Program))

Southeast Asia

Originally posted by Bowei Shi:

Legalities of cards in Unglued and Unhinged are false. They are illegal in Legacy Vintage Commander and so on.
Thanks for the bug report. The database marked all promo card as legal in eternal format thus caused some non-land Unglued and Unhinged which reprinted in promo to mistakenly mark as legal as well.
I will fix this as soon as possible.
Thanks.

Sept. 21, 2017 01:02:18 PM

Keng Siang Ooi

Southeast Asia

September Update
Due to recent rule changes in Blood Moon / Magus of the Moon / Legendary Planeswalker rule, Bugko has rebuild the whole offline card database with latest oracle text and ruling for each card. It will be available together with Ixalan set update.

September Update #2
Comp Rules and IPG is also updated to September version.

The update is now ready in the app store. It may take up to 24 hours for the update the appear in some country's app store.

Edited Keng Siang Ooi (Sept. 29, 2017 01:45:24 AM)

Dec. 29, 2017 03:36:18 AM

Keng Siang Ooi

Southeast Asia

December Update
iOS is now supported. It is now available in Apple App Store.
Offline document is now added. It contains CR, IPG, MRT, JAR and all DQ documents for everyone who need a quick references without the internet.
(For more details, see the first post)

Future Update Note
In order not to spam everyone in the forum or create too much spam post. I usually only post major changes update / important update related with judge feature regarding the app here in the forum. This doesn't mean I did not update the app from time to time.

Dec. 29, 2017 06:26:18 PM

Ryan Freeburger
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Foundry))

USA - Midatlantic

First off this is a really good app. It is extremely professional and I congratulate you on making this.

I have a few suggestions for the iOS implementation that I am currently using. Some of these may be apply to all versions. Some may be iOS exclusive since I know swift can be a bit particular in some changes.

First, when searching docs. If you are searching for a phrase, say “exile” and there is an exact glossary match for that, it would be nice if that match was be the top result followed by the result of the results in the current order you have them in, which I believe is alpha numeric.

Second, also while searching the rules, if I type in say 701.5, it would be great if it took me immediately to 701.5. Navigating to that is a bit clunky.

Third, I would love the ability to customize the sidebar. The ability to add the MTR and the JAR to that bar would be great. I understand this may not be possible though since its iOS and they're fairly particular about UI but it would be nice if possible.

Fourth, for the draft timer, you should have the app remind the user to call out “five seconds” at the five second mark. Its a common courtesy and a judge doing a timed draft for the first time may not know it. This is a minor flaw at best and having a draft timer on iOS is a wonderful improvement regardless.

Fifth and finally, this one is a bit off because it will depend entirely on who your primary audience is. If it is judges, when searching cards, I think the first thing you should see when looking at a card is the gatherer text since thats what we're looking for when we look up a card during a call. MTG Guide and MTG Fam I believe do this. MTG Guide has it where you can hit a tab and it shows the card and the price after doing so. If its NOT judges, leave it be, the UI is perfect for that use.

Overall these are very minor nitpicks and I only suggest them because the iOS app that most judges use, MTG Guide, does them already. 10/10 for doing this.

Dec. 30, 2017 08:24:02 AM

Keng Siang Ooi

Southeast Asia

Originally posted by Ryan Freeburger:

First off this is a really good app. It is extremely professional and I congratulate you on making this.

I have a few suggestions for the iOS implementation that I am currently using. Some of these may be apply to all versions. Some may be iOS exclusive since I know swift can be a bit particular in some changes.

First, when searching docs. If you are searching for a phrase, say “exile” and there is an exact glossary match for that, it would be nice if that match was be the top result followed by the result of the results in the current order you have them in, which I believe is alpha numeric.

Second, also while searching the rules, if I type in say 701.5, it would be great if it took me immediately to 701.5. Navigating to that is a bit clunky.

Third, I would love the ability to customize the sidebar. The ability to add the MTR and the JAR to that bar would be great. I understand this may not be possible though since its iOS and they're fairly particular about UI but it would be nice if possible.

Fourth, for the draft timer, you should have the app remind the user to call out “five seconds” at the five second mark. Its a common courtesy and a judge doing a timed draft for the first time may not know it. This is a minor flaw at best and having a draft timer on iOS is a wonderful improvement regardless.

Fifth and finally, this one is a bit off because it will depend entirely on who your primary audience is. If it is judges, when searching cards, I think the first thing you should see when looking at a card is the gatherer text since thats what we're looking for when we look up a card during a call. MTG Guide and MTG Fam I believe do this. MTG Guide has it where you can hit a tab and it shows the card and the price after doing so. If its NOT judges, leave it be, the UI is perfect for that use.

Overall these are very minor nitpicks and I only suggest them because the iOS app that most judges use, MTG Guide, does them already. 10/10 for doing this.

Hi Ryan,

Thanks giving the app a try and provide me your valuable feedback.

I completely agree with your first and second point. I will work on the rule search result ordering.

Regarding the third point, what I have in my mind is add a judge mode! A mode that where it turn the news list on home page to a list of tools that judge needed directly. Still thinking about it, might not see it happen so soon.

Fourth, I will increase the warning sound from 3 second mark to 5 second mark, add vibration feedback to remind the user and maybe change the font colour as well.

Last, the app is designed to target both player and judge. That is the reason why it is arranged in this way. Maybe during judge mode, image and card price can be hidden first.

Really appreciate your feedback and thanks for your support.

Jan. 18, 2018 01:37:46 AM

Keng Siang Ooi

Southeast Asia

January 2018 Update
- Rebuild whole internal database with new oracle text / type change on some older card.
- Update CR, MTR and IPG.
- Improve draft timer with 5 seconds reminder instead of 3 seconds.

In order not to spam everyone in the forum or create too much spam post. I usually only post major changes update / important update related with judge feature regarding the app here in the forum. This mean the app will receive update for new cards / set release with / without any update on this forum.

Feb. 7, 2018 06:48:00 AM

Keng Siang Ooi

Southeast Asia

February 2018 Update
- Remove auto countdown timer before and after each pick and let user fully control the flow in Draft Timer.
- Draft timer animation to animate according to the draft progress to prevent confusion.
- Multi-languages card name search and auto-complete feature.

In order not to spam everyone in the forum or create too much spam post. I usually only post major changes update / important update related with judge feature regarding the app here in the forum. This mean the app will receive update for new cards / set release with / without any update on this forum.

April 17, 2018 03:33:24 PM

Tommy Lee
Judge (Level 1 (Judge Foundry))

USA - North

Just got this on my iPhone, looks good, I have not played with it much. I did notice the dice button does not do anything.

Very nice though and I will be using it.

April 17, 2018 04:32:01 PM

Keng Siang Ooi

Southeast Asia

Originally posted by Tommy Lee:

Just got this on my iPhone, looks good, I have not played with it much. I did notice the dice button does not do anything.

Very nice though and I will be using it.

Thanks for giving the app a try. And ops, the dice features wasn't suppose to be there yet, because it is still not supported on iOS platform. Will remove that in the next release.

April 20, 2018 02:08:40 AM

Keng Siang Ooi

Southeast Asia

April 2018 Update
- Dominaria update.
- All oracle text change including planeswalker damage redirection changes introduced in Dominaria.

April 2018 Update #2
- MTR, IPG, CR updated.
- Add latest set release notes to Documents which include Dominaria, Master 25, Rivals of Ixalan, Iconic Masters, and Ixalan.

Edited Keng Siang Ooi (May 1, 2018 12:11:24 PM)

Sept. 27, 2018 11:36:24 AM

Keng Siang Ooi

Southeast Asia

September 2018 Update
Version 5.7.0 now come with a searchable MTR and the card search is also improved.

May 19, 2019 05:59:34 PM

Keng Siang Ooi

Southeast Asia

End of Support Notice
It is getting more difficult and a lot of work in order to update and support older platforms. I will be dropping support for the following platform in the future update. Sorry for any inconvenient caused.

• The app will no longer support Windows Phone 8.1 device. Windows Store will no longer offer Windows Phone 8.1 app starting on 1st of July 2019. If you are running Windows 10 Mobile, make sure you installed Bugko - MTG Tools instead of Bugko.
  • The app will no longer support Windows 10 device that is running older than Windows 10 Fall Creators Update. Make sure you update your Windows device (at least Windows 10 Fall Creators Update) to continue receive the latest update of the app.
  • The app will no longer support iOS device that is running on iOS 9. Make sure you update your iOS device (at least iOS 10) to continue receive the latest update of the app.

Edited Keng Siang Ooi (May 19, 2019 06:00:08 PM)