Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Competitive REL » Post: Competitive Draft Proceedure

Competitive Draft Proceedure

Jan. 30, 2017 09:26:57 AM

Gregory Titov
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Academy))

Canada - Eastern Provinces

You are Head Judge of a sealed PPTQ, you just finished the swiss rounds and are seating the players for the top 8 draft, its a PPTQ so it isn't timed, after the draft… what is the procedure from then on? The players do in fact need to register their pools and decks before they start playing, but what is the proper way to go about this?

I've been unable to find information on this in the documents after a bit of searching, and am kind of confused as to what the right way to handle this is, do we have the drafters register eachothers' pools, then break up to build their decks? Do we have them register their own pools at the draft table, then split up to build with some privacy?

I don't Judge Sealed events too often so finding there was no obvious info on this when I was going to the top 8 the other day was a bit strange since we have info on most other things.

Jan. 30, 2017 09:50:22 AM

Mark Mc Govern
Judge (Level 2 (International Judge Program))

United Kingdom, Ireland, and South Africa

Common practice is to separate the players and spread them around the room so that they can't see each other's pools. give them a decklist to record their deck and their sideboard, and the appropriate amount of time.

Jan. 30, 2017 10:50:42 AM

Gregory Titov

Originally posted by Mark Mc Govern:

Common practice is to separate the players and spread them around the room so that they can't see each other's pools. give them a decklist to record their deck and their sideboard, and the appropriate amount of time.

Alright, the point of a decklist is to avoid altering their pools though, so doesn't this not do too much in that sense? Kinda leaves things wide open to them writing ‘oh, i totally got 2 tezzerets and a dovin.’ Just really trying to understand the best way to go about all this with keeping everything legit in mind.

Jan. 30, 2017 10:57:17 AM

Scott Marshall
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 4 (Judge Foundry)), Hall of Fame

USA - Southwest

Spread them out so they can't see each other's pools, but you can and MUST watch them register.

d:^D

Jan. 30, 2017 11:12:35 AM

Gregory Titov

Originally posted by Scott Marshall:

Spread them out so they can't see each other's pools, but you can and MUST watch them register.

d:^D

Makes sense overall, strange to me that it isn't really mentioned in the MTR or anything like that, I suppose it may come down to common sense to most but usually they cover those things.

Jan. 30, 2017 11:21:49 AM

John Brian McCarthy
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 5 (Judge Foundry))

USA - Midatlantic

Originally posted by Gregory Titov:

Alright, the point of a decklist is to avoid altering their pools though, so doesn't this not do too much in that sense? Kinda leaves things wide open to them writing ‘oh, i totally got 2 tezzerets and a dovin.’ Just really trying to understand the best way to go about all this with keeping everything legit in mind.

To some extent, this is solvable through investigation - if a player has a ton of super-bomby, first-pickable cards in his or her deck, a chat with the draft neighbors asking what they passed could convince you that the player has added cards to his or her pool.

Beyond that, though, your best tool is just to watch the players during build. If they're all within your sight from the time that they finish drafting to when Quarterfinals start, they can't possibly add cards to the deck itself. I like to do a regular deck check on a Top 8 match, which catches those players if they're adding cards to the list to play them in future matches, and will be visible to other players who might be considering that option too.

Jan. 30, 2017 11:23:50 AM

Federico Donner
Judge (Level 3 (International Judge Program))

Hispanic America - South

Something I like to do is, before they register I ask them to spread their
pool so all card names are visible and I take a picture. That’s a fast way
to avoid them registering a bomb rare and adding it to their deck before
they start playing. I still ask them to register their pool+deck in the
decklist as normal.