Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Regular REL » Post: Unable to be a Player and Judge for Regular REL tournaments

Unable to be a Player and Judge for Regular REL tournaments

Feb. 20, 2017 11:33:59 AM

Sam Sprague
Judge (Uncertified)

USA - Northeast

Salutations fellow Judges,

On February 17 2017 (Friday) after signing up for a Modern FNM tournament I requested to be signed up as a Floor Judge in the same tournament. I was then informed that Wizards Event Reporter (WER) would not allow this to occur for I was a player in the tournament. This is quite odd considering that the event was Regular REL and a person is allowed to be a Tournament Official (e.g. Floor Judge) as well as a Player in Regular REL events.

On February 19 2017 (Sunday) after signing up for a Draft tournament (Regular REL) I requested to be signed up as a Floor Judge in the same tournament. Similarly, WER would not allow it for identical reasons as mentioned above. This odd phenomenon was brought up to my local L2 and he was unfamiliar with the situation.

Does anybody know anything about this? Perhaps a recent change by WotC or a bug in the WER software?

Thank you for taking the time to read this, and if you respond thoughtfully, thank you for responding as well.

Have a great day!

Sincerely, Sam S.

Feb. 20, 2017 11:46:05 AM

Julio Sosa
Judge (Level 3 (International Judge Program))

Hispanic America - South

Were you added before the event started? It seems that WER doesn't allow to add judges to the event if they are players of that event, no matter the REL.

Next time, try to ask to be added as judge before they enroll you as player.

Feb. 20, 2017 12:32:36 PM

Chuanjie Seow
Judge (Level 3 (Judge Academy)), Scorekeeper

Southeast Asia

I usually drop myself at end of the final round then key in my DCI in WER if I forgot to enrol myself as a Judge before enrolling into the FNM

Feb. 20, 2017 03:46:00 PM

Sam Sprague
Judge (Uncertified)

USA - Northeast

Originally posted by Julio Sosa:

Were you added before the event started? It seems that WER doesn't allow to add judges to the event if they are players of that event, no matter the REL.

Next time, try to ask to be added as judge before they enroll you as player.

Julio,

As to when it was attempted to add me as a judge, I am not certain if it was before or after the event started.
I was indeed added as a player first, then added (more accurately, attempted to be added) as a judge second.
Thank you for the thoughtful response =^D
From now on I will always ask to be added as a judge first then player second for Regular REL tournaments.
Have a great day Julio.

Toodles

Feb. 20, 2017 03:48:54 PM

Sam Sprague
Judge (Uncertified)

USA - Northeast

Originally posted by Chuanjie Seow:

I usually drop myself at end of the final round then key in my DCI in WER if I forgot to enrol myself as a Judge before enrolling into the FNM

Chuanjie,

That is an excellent stratagem. From now on, if I find myself in a similar predicament, I will utilize your trick.
Thank you for your thoughtful response =^D
Have a great day Chuanjie.

Toodles

Feb. 21, 2017 11:41:30 AM

Darren Horve
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Academy)), Scorekeeper, Tournament Organizer

USA - Northwest

If added after you have been input as a player, you can click the “Add Judge” button and put yourself in that way.