Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Regular REL » Post: Replacing a draft pack

Replacing a draft pack

March 17, 2017 01:27:48 PM

Cris Plyler
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Academy))

USA - Central

Replacing a draft pack

I had a question from a local store owner I'd like to get confirmation on.

The question is if during a rated draft a player opens a pack that has 2 very valuable cards and the player wishes to keep that pack, can they buy another pack of the same type and draft with that pack instead? I'd imagine that would be fine since they are still drafting with the same mix of packs, but I'm not 100% sure.

Thanks.

March 17, 2017 04:09:05 PM

John Brian McCarthy
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 5 (Judge Foundry)), Grand Prix Head Judge

USA - Midatlantic

Replacing a draft pack

This was asked a couple years ago when Masterpieces were first introduced, and the (O)fficial Answer was "Sanctioned events will not, must not, use the ‘rebuy’ option."

This thread has some useful discussion about why rebuys are bad for the integrity of the game - even at Regular REL, allowing players to roll the dice again gives players with more money an unfair advantage. It's also incredibly difficult to quantify rules on - do you only allow rebuys if a pack is “valuable?” Who defines valuable? Some players might see $10 as a valuable card, while others draw the line at $100.

If a player opens a pack that contains a Tarmogoyf and a foil Scalding Tarn, they should be thrilled - they got one of the best cards in the set! They can pass the other (along with the rest of the pacK) and keep playing in the event, or take their picked cards, the rest of their current pack and their unopened packs and drop from the event.

Please work with your Tournament Organizers this weekend to help them understand how this rule creates a fair and fun environment for everyone.