Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Knowledge Pool Scenarios » Post: I knew I forgot something... - SILVER

I knew I forgot something... - SILVER

March 20, 2013 07:17:15 AM

Michael Zimmerman
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Academy))

USA - Central

Hello judges, and welcome to another Knowledge Pool! These Knowledge Pool scenarios are ranked SILVER, which requires a strong knowledge of policy.

We'd like to encourage L2s and experienced L1s to discuss these scenarios, but everyone should fee free to chime in!

Scenario #1 - I knew I forgot something…:

Read the blog post here!

While playing in a local PTQ, Alfred controls an Assault Griffin, a Thraben Valiant and Geist of Saint Traft, while Mr. Nigma has 3 Brushstriders and a Rage Thrower.

Alfred declares all three of his creatures as attacking, placing an Angel token on the battlefield tapped and attacking.

Before declaring blockers, Mr. Nigma casts Tower Defense, then declares his Brushstriders as blocking the Assault Griffin, Geist of Saint Traft and the Angel token.

Before moving to Combat Damage, Mr. Nigma also casts a Searing Spear, targeting the Thraben Valiant, which Alfred puts in the graveyard.

The players move to combat damage, where things become confused and they call for a judge. While both players are agreeing that all of Alfred's creatures should be in the graveyard, Mr. Nigma believes he should be able to do 6 damage to Alfred.

How many triggers (if any) have been forgotten and why?

###########

Scenario 2: I knew I forgot something else…

Read the blog post here!

While playing in (another) local PTQ against a familiar opponent, Alfred controls an Angelic Skirmisher, Frontline Medic and 2 Serra Angels, while Mr. Nigma has 3 Hamlet Captains and a Feral Ridgewolf on the battlefield.

As before, Alfred declares all four of his creatures as attacking.

Before declaring blockers, Mr. Nigma again casts Tower Defense, then declares his Hamlet Captains as blocking the Angelic Skirmisher and each of the Serra Angels.

Before moving to Combat Damage, Mr. Nigma also casts a Searing Spear, targeting the Frontline Medic. Alfred sighs and puts the Medic in the graveyard.

The players move to combat damage, where things become confused and they call for a judge. While both players are agreeing that all of Alfred's creatures should be in the graveyard, Alfred maintains that his creatures have lifelink from the Skirmisher and he should be gaining 12 life.

Edited Michael Zimmerman (March 20, 2013 08:05:32 AM)

March 20, 2013 07:46:52 AM

Kaylee Mullins
Judge (Uncertified)

USA - Great Lakes

Scenario 1:

Mr. Nigma missed a Rage Thrower trigger when the Valiant died before combat damage (edit: to clarify when they moved to combat damage this became missed). The Assault Griffin and Geist will die from combat damage triggering Rage Thrower twice, the Angel token is still alive with 3 damage marked on it.

Scenario 2:

The Angelic Skirmisher trigger was missed when Alfred declared his creatures as attacking. The Frontline Medic's trigger was missed when he put it in the graveyard.

Edited Kaylee Mullins (March 20, 2013 07:53:59 AM)

March 20, 2013 07:49:56 AM

Devin Smith
Judge (Uncertified), Scorekeeper

United Kingdom, Ireland, and South Africa

I dislike the two-question format and think it'll make things confusing.

Scenario #1:

GRVs all around, the angel token has three damage marked on it and is not dead.
One trigger has been missed: the trigger for Thraben Valiant's death. This has a visible effect on the gamestate, and the players have explicitly moved to the next step or phase.
Two triggers have not been missed, Alfred takes four.

Scenario #2:

The Angelic skirmisher trigger has been missed as the choice required was not made before attacks were declared in the next step of the turn.
The Frontline Medic trigger has been missed, as Alfred let his Frontline Medic die (but not before that).

March 20, 2013 07:54:51 AM

Joshua Feingold
Judge (Uncertified)

USA - Midatlantic

1: Only the “Thraben Valiant dies” instance of Rage Thrower's ability has been missed. Because Rage Thrower targets a “player,” rather than an “opponent,” it must be acknowledged at the point it should be put on the stack. Since Mr. Nigma clearly passed priority in the Declare Blockers step, it's too late. (Since he agrees creatures should be in the graveyard.) He can still put the other 2 triggers on the stack at this point, since he hasn't done anything since he should have announced those targets. I'm not sure where the fourth trigger is supposed to be coming from. Maybe the Angel token, which didn't die in combat and will be exiled shortly? Maybe the Rage Thrower was supposed to block the token in the scenario instead of a fourth Brushstrider? In any case, only 3 creatures die and 2 triggers can still be put on the stack.

2: Frontline Medic & Angelic Skirmisher triggers have been missed. By putting Medic into the graveyard, Alfred shows he doesn't know it should be indestructible. (So it isn't.) Even if he had realized prior to the rest of the creatures dying (which it seems he hasn't) it would already be too late. The Skirmisher requires a choice on resolution, and so that choice must be acknowledged at that time. Even though lifelink has no visible impact on the game, the choice needed to be announced. (If Skirmisher always gave lifelink, then the triggger would not have been missed.)

March 20, 2013 08:05:16 AM

Michael Zimmerman
Forum Moderator

USA - Central

Sorry - the 8 damage in scenario #1 should indeed be listed as 6 - as correctly guessed by Josh, it was a holdover from a previous version of the scenario where the token did indeed die… (will correct in the initial post)…

March 20, 2013 08:47:55 AM

Michael White
Judge (Uncertified)

Canada

Scenario 1:
If we're playing a technically precise game of magic, I do believe that moving to combat damage would mean that Alfred missed the trigger on his Rage Thrower (it does require the choice of a target and one was not chosen at that time), and I see the point made by the three judges above me.

I'd want to ask the players some questions first, but I think we might have another possibility, one that I think is more likely to fit with what actually happened in this scenario. I believe that what we're actually looking at here is Mr. Nigma attempting to use a shortcut. He seems to be lumping the damage from the Rage Thrower triggers together, even though they happen in different steps. Using this shortcut means players only need to record 1 life total change instead of 2 (or 3 if they're being extremely precise!).

With shortcuts, if Alfred has something he wishes to do in between the resolution of the first Rage Thrower trigger and combat damage being dealt, he's welcome to refuse the shortcut and take an action in between, but my ruling would be to give Mr. Nigma all 3 triggers for a total of 6 damage.

So, I'd want to ask a few questions of Mr. Nigma to make sure that is what he was intending to do, but I suspect that's probably whats has happened here.

I'll leave scenario 2 for other judges, as I agree with what Joshua, Devin & Alex have said above. :)

March 20, 2013 09:04:51 AM

Kaylee Mullins
Judge (Uncertified)

USA - Great Lakes

Originally posted by Michael White:

Scenario 1:
I'd want to ask the players some questions first, but I think we might have another possibility, one that I think is more likely to fit with what actually happened in this scenario. I believe that what we're actually looking at here is Mr. Nigma attempting to use a shortcut. He seems to be lumping the damage from the Rage Thrower triggers together, even though they happen in different steps. Using this shortcut means players only need to record 1 life total change instead of 2 (or 3 if they're being extremely precise!).

That would require some investigation; I'd particularly ask how everything played out after the Searing Spear. If Alfred said something like “Spear Valiant; Valiant, Griffin, Geist die you take 6 from Rage Thrower” then sure he's acknowledging the trigger before they've advanced and proposing they shortcut to after damage with the given result properly acknowleding all of the Rage Thrower's triggers. The way the question is worded though has the Valiant going to the graveyard before they agree that the rest of the creatures are dead which indicates a clear change in steps.

March 20, 2013 01:07:34 PM

Io Hughto
Scorekeeper

USA - Northwest

Scenario 1:

The trigger for Rage Thrower's ability was missed when the players move onto combat damage. This is because there is not a default action from the trigger since it targets a player. The next two triggers (from Geist and Assault Griffin) haven't been missed yet since combat damage is still being assigned and the creatures haven't yet hit the graveyard, even though everyone agrees that's where they'll go next.

Scenario 2:

After Alfred declared attackers, he's missed his trigger for Angelic Skirmisher since there is no default action here either; a choice must be made and play moved past the Beginning of Combat Step. Then, Alfred acknowledges missing the trigger for Frontline Medic since he put it into the graveyard. If he had instead said “All of my creatures are indestructible”, then that trigger wouldn't have been missed since there is a default action.

Did I get the reasoning for all of this right? I'm still new to this missed triggers policy.

March 20, 2013 01:20:32 PM

Vincent Roscioli
Judge (Uncertified)

USA - Midatlantic

Originally posted by Joe Hughto:

Did I get the reasoning for all of this right? I'm still new to this missed triggers policy.

Be careful with your use of the term “default action”. It refers to something very specific, and none of these triggers have a default action. (A trigger with a default action typically instructs to you “X unless Y” or “Y. If you don't, X”; for example: Pact of Negation)

Edited Vincent Roscioli (March 20, 2013 01:21:01 PM)

March 20, 2013 02:49:33 PM

Io Hughto
Scorekeeper

USA - Northwest

Originally posted by Vincent Roscioli:

Be careful with your use of the term “default action”. It refers to something very specific, and none of these triggers have a default action. (A trigger with a default action typically instructs to you “X unless Y” or “Y. If you don't, X”; for example: Pact of Negation)

Thanks for the clarification. I need to be more careful with my language.

Edited Io Hughto (March 20, 2013 04:30:56 PM)

March 20, 2013 05:31:48 PM

Adam Zakreski
Judge (Uncertified)

Canada

How would the situation change if Rage Thrower was written “target opponent”?

March 20, 2013 06:58:45 PM

Emmanuel Leal

USA - Southwest

First tought was “are they playing a PTQ WITH THIS!!!?”
now back to the question
Scenario #1:
3 triggers, one after valiant is put into graveyard and another 2 when geist and the gryf died.

Scenario #2:
Player 1 forget the triggeer from the angel, the trigger of the frontline medic, and Mr. Nigma forgot 3 triggers from his hamlet capitans.
And the angel triggers was missed cuz he should have made a choice,uring the begining of combat step. now its a missed trigger.
so a total of 5 triggers
“A triggered ability that requires its controller to choose targets (other than ‘target opponent’), modes, or other choices made when the ability is put onto the stack: The controller must announce those choices before they next pass priority.”

Edited Emmanuel Leal (March 20, 2013 06:59:37 PM)

March 21, 2013 12:33:37 AM

Oren Firestein

USA - Northwest

For Scenario #2, the judge should investigate whether the players have established a shortcut in which the lifelink option is always chosen for Angelic Skirmisher. If so, then that trigger has not been missed. The Frontline Medic's trigger has definitely been missed.

March 21, 2013 08:42:36 AM

Vincent Roscioli
Judge (Uncertified)

USA - Midatlantic

Originally posted by Adam Zakreski:

How would the situation change if Rage Thrower was written “target opponent”?

Technically speaking, it would mean they have until it has a visible impact on the game state (when it resolves and modifies life totals, in this case), rather than having to demonstrate awareness before passing priority. In this case though, those two points are at virtually the same time (and thus the trigger from the Valiant dying is missed either way), so the difference is immaterial.

Edited Vincent Roscioli (March 21, 2013 08:43:23 AM)

March 26, 2013 10:45:40 AM

Michael Zimmerman
Forum Moderator

USA - Central

Thanks to everyone for their comments and discussion - as well as pointing out my copy / paste error (Sorry!!)!

As should be apparent, this set of scenarios was meant to test everyone's ability to successfully detemine when triggers of certain creatures had either been acknowledged or missed. The current wording on Missed Triggers (in part) is as follows:

2.1 Game Play Error - Missed Trigger

Definition

A triggered ability triggers, but the player controlling the ability doesn’t demonstrate awareness of the trigger’s existence the first time that it would affect the game in a visible fashion.

The point by which the player needs to demonstrate this awareness depends on the impact that the trigger would have on the game:

A triggered ability that requires its controller to choose targets (other than ‘target opponent’), modes, or other choices made when the ability is put onto the stack: The controller must announce those choices before they next pass priority.

A triggered ability that causes a change in the visible game state (including life totals) or requires a choice upon resolution: The controller must take the appropriate physical action or make it clear what the action taken or choice made is before taking any game actions (such as casting a sorcery spell or explicitly moving to the next step or phase) that can be taken only after the triggered ability should have resolved. Note that casting an instant spell or activating an ability doesn’t mean a triggered ability has been forgotten, as it could still be on the stack.

A triggered ability that changes the rules of the game: The controller must prevent an opponent from taking any resulting illegal action.

A triggered ability that affects the game state in non-visible ways: The controller must take physical action or make it clear what the action is the first time the change has an effect on the visible game state.

Once any of the above obligations has been fulfilled, or the trigger has been otherwise acknowledged, further problems are treated as a Game Play Error — Game Rule Violation.

###############
Here's a repeat of part #1 and the associated answer:

While playing in a local PTQ, Alfred controls an Assault Griffin, a Thraben Valiant and Geist of Saint Traft, while Mr. Nigma has 3 Brushstriders and a Rage Thrower.

Alfred declares all three of his creatures as attacking, placing an Angel token on the battlefield tapped and attacking.

Before declaring blockers, Mr. Nigma casts Tower Defense, then declares his Brushstriders as blocking the Assault Griffin, Geist of Saint Traft and the Angel token.

Before moving to Combat Damage, Mr. Nigma also casts a Searing Spear, targeting the Thraben Valiant, which Alfred puts in the graveyard.

The players move to combat damage, where things become confused and they call for a judge. While both players are agreeing that all of Alfred's creatures should be in the graveyard, Mr. Nigma believes he should be able to do 6 damage to Alfred.

Answer for #1:

Given our 4 main categories of triggers and when they are considered missed, we can go through all the creatures with triggers here and determine when those triggers were either successfully remembered or missed.

In this example, only Geist of Saint Traft and Rage Thrower have triggers, so lets step through those two cards.

The Geist triggers when it attacks, putting the Angel token into play (tapped and attacking) - this would be “A triggered ability that causes a change in the visible game state…” - Alfred put the token into play at the appropriate time, so that one is considered remembered.

Rage Thrower triggers whenever something else dies - it requires a target be declared, so it is “A triggered ability that requires its controller to choose targets…” , so let's step through when things die in this scenario. The first creature to go the graveyard is the Thraben Valiant. At this time - specifically before moving on to combat damage - Mr Nigma does not make any mention of this trigger, so it is considered missed. The next time creatures die is as a result of combat damage and at that time, Mr Nigma is incorrectly noting that his opponent should take 6 damage, which would include the 4 damage that Alfred should be taking from the 2 remembered triggers.

###############

And a repeat of scenario #2 and its answer:

While playing in (another) local PTQ against a familiar opponent, Alfred controls an Angelic Skirmisher, Frontline Medic and 2 Serra Angels, while Mr. Nigma has 3 Hamlet Captains and a Feral Ridgewolf on the battlefield.

As before, Alfred declares all four of his creatures as attacking.

Before declaring blockers, Mr. Nigma again casts Tower Defense, then declares his Hamlet Captains as blocking the Angelic Skirmisher and each of the Serra Angels.

Before moving to Combat Damage, Mr. Nigma also casts a Searing Spear, targeting the Frontline Medic. Alfred sighs and puts the Medic in the graveyard.

The players move to combat damage, where things become confused and they call for a judge. While both players are agreeing that all of Alfred's creatures should be in the graveyard, Alfred maintains that his creatures have lifelink from the Skirmisher and he should be gaining 12 life.

Answer for #2:

Again, given our 4 main categories of triggers and when they are considered missed, we can go through all the creatures with triggers here and determine when those triggers were either successfully remembered or missed.

In this example, the Angelic Skirmisher, Frontline Medic and Hamlet Captain are cards with triggers.

Angelic Skirmisher triggers at the beginning of combat and requires the controller to make a choice upon resolution, falling into the “A triggered ability that causes a change in the visible game state (including life totals) or requires a choice upon resolution”. Given that Alfred makes no mention of this trigger before moving to declaring attackers, he has missed that trigger (and thus will not be gaining any life later in combat).

Via its Battalion ability, Frontline Medic makes all of Alfred's creatures indestructible. This is “ A triggered ability that affects the game state in non-visible ways” and it is not necessary to make anyone aware of the trigger until it becomes relevant to the game. In this case, it would be the first time one of his creatures takes lethal damage from a source - specifically, when the Frontline Medic itself takes 3 damage from the Searing Spear. Since Alfred puts the creature in the graveyard, he has clearly missed the trigger.

The Hamlet Captains all have the ability to make other humans Mr Nigma controls bigger - this is “A triggered ability that affects the game state in non-visible ways”, which is only relevant if something tries to interact with the Hamlet Captains. The first time this happens is during combat damage - given that both players agree that all of Alfred's creatures should be in the graveyard - and this is only possible if the Hamlet Captains have 4 or more power (they each should be 4/9 creatures with reach), Mr Nigma has remembered his triggers.

Edited Michael Zimmerman (March 26, 2013 11:06:09 AM)