Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Judging Technology » Post: Getting SCG Opens on my front page notifications

Getting SCG Opens on my front page notifications

March 23, 2017 10:54:22 AM

Lyle Waldman
Judge (Uncertified)

Canada

Hey all! I've been working to get this done for a while, but I can't seem to figure out how. Basically, the story is, I'm an L2 out of Toronto, Canada, and I'd like to apply to SCG Opens. However, I don't want to have to go through the event search, because that's kind of a hassle, and instead I'd like it to show up on my front page, where local events and GPs and stuff show up. But since SCG Opens are in the US and I'm in Canada, I think there's a setting I have to set. I know another local judge has it set up for him so I know it's possible, but I don't know how to do it. Help?

Thanks.

March 23, 2017 11:05:49 AM

Dan Collins
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 5 (Judge Foundry))

USA - Northeast

You can choose to be notified about new events being posted by changing your event notification settings.

The “My Upcoming Events and Applications” on the homepage is based on events that you have applied to, or been added to staff for.

The “Events with Upcoming Application Deadlines” on the homepage is described as “Note: Only Pro Tours, Grand Prix events, and events within your region whose application deadline is within the next 2 weeks will appear here.”

If you are searching based on event type, note that “StarCityGames.com Tour”, not “StarCityGames.com Open Series”, is the current branding used by those events.

March 23, 2017 11:07:48 AM

Julio Sosa
Judge (Level 3 (International Judge Program))

Hispanic America - South

You can choose to have you notified when an event is created in JudgeApps. You just have to go to your NOTIFICATIONS, get and at the bottom you have the option of getting event notifications. There you can select the type and region of the event

EDIT: Dan beat me to it

Edited Julio Sosa (March 23, 2017 11:08:38 AM)

March 23, 2017 11:34:23 AM

Lyle Waldman
Judge (Uncertified)

Canada

Originally posted by Dan Collins:

The “Events with Upcoming Application Deadlines” on the homepage is described as “Note: Only Pro Tours, Grand Prix events, and events within your region whose application deadline is within the next 2 weeks will appear here.”

So I can't get SCG events to appear in my Events with Upcoming Deadlines section? That sucks.

March 23, 2017 11:43:48 AM

Martin Koehler
Judge (Uncertified), Scorekeeper

German-speaking countries

Have you tried setting an additional region in your profile?

March 23, 2017 12:44:06 PM

John Brian McCarthy
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 5 (Judge Foundry)), Grand Prix Head Judge

USA - Midatlantic

Opens don't appear on the schedule at random intervals. They're generally added 4 times a year as a block, generally with great fanfare. Just set yourself a reminder to check the list of open Opens once a month and you shouldn't​ miss any deadlines.

Originally posted by Martin Koehler:

Please don't do that. As the secondary region announcement notes, “We’ve implemented this feature as a convenience for judges who are active in multiple regions. ” Adjusting notifications isn't being active in a region.

March 23, 2017 01:33:15 PM

Lyle Waldman
Judge (Uncertified)

Canada

Originally posted by John Brian McCarthy:

Opens don't appear on the schedule at random intervals. They're generally added 4 times a year as a block, generally with great fanfare. Just set yourself a reminder to check the list of open Opens once a month and you shouldn't​ miss any deadlines.

Originally posted by Martin Koehler:

Please don't do that. As the secondary region announcement notes, “We’ve implemented this feature as a convenience for judges who are active in multiple regions. ” Adjusting notifications isn't being active in a region.

Actually I did exactly that. Maybe I should remove my secondary regions, because I did exactly that for exactly that reason already :p

March 26, 2017 08:51:12 PM

Rebecca Lawrence
Judge (Uncertified)

USA - Midatlantic

I have applied for less than ten events in the Northeast in my entire five year tenure, but I still immediately added US-Northeast as a secondary region because it's the most likely place I am to be interested in activities outside my own region (in part because I'm so close to the regional border), and so I wanted to automatically be aware of them.

If it's a convenience feature only, what difference does it make how people use it? Who decides what “being active” means?

March 26, 2017 09:09:48 PM

Dan Collins
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 5 (Judge Foundry))

USA - Northeast

Because Lyle was asking how to do a specific thing, and the “secondary regions” feature is completely unrelated to that thing. Secondary regions are primarily for searching and regional forum access. More information about that is at the announcement blog post.

March 27, 2017 10:27:09 AM

Lyle Waldman
Judge (Uncertified)

Canada

In any case, can I make a feature request to judge apps to be able to subscribe and unsubscribe from certain event classes on my front page notifications? I would like to, for example, subscribe to all SCG Opens (because I'd be interested in applying to some of them) and unsubscribe to Pro Tours (because I'm not L3 and hence have no reason to be notified about them).

Edited Lyle Waldman (March 27, 2017 10:36:52 AM)

March 27, 2017 11:19:42 AM

Scott Marshall
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 4 (Judge Foundry)), Hall of Fame

USA - Northwest

Please use the “Provide Feedback” link for feature requests.