Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Project Recruitment & Help Wanted » Post: Investigation Workshops (now looking for L2s!)

Investigation Workshops (now looking for L2s!)

April 28, 2017 12:03:10 AM

Ronald Thompson
Judge (Level 3 (Judge Academy))

USA - Northwest

What is it?: Investigation Workshops is a project that aims to provide role-play scenarios and opportunities for judges that would like more critical, constructive feedback about their investigation techniques. We would like to provide this feedback through hosting workshops at events, when available. If a member of the team is not available, the materials to run a workshop on their own will be provided to an L3 judge that is available to run the workshop. One goal of the project is to be “open source.” Once we feel that the project is well established, I'd like the materials to be available to anyone interested. Another goal that we have is to consolidate and standardize the numerous mini-projects or handful of scenarios that are currently out there. If you have a scenario or project that you think would fit in this ideal, please contact us!

Why we're needed?: Investigation feedback is a consistent frustration for growing judges. While judging, it is difficult to get feedback for interesting calls (said calls are not that common and/or not being shadowed). Many judges know that they are deficient in investigations but don't know how to address the deficiency. Additionally, there are a few infractions that are rarely given out making the experience difficult to obtain. We can address all of these concerns by providing a controlled environment with direct observation.

When are we useful?: GPs, Opens, addressing deficiencies, judge conferences, area meetings, birthdays, bar mitzvahs, weddings

Who are we?: Right now, we have a small group of L3s that have built a tiny library of scenarios based off of a standardized form that we've also created. We need help from judges around the world to increase the size of our library and keep things up to date. I'd really like our team to be geo-diverse, as different judge cultures warrant different scenarios. My goal for 2017 is to create a library of at least 20-30 scenarios and we need help doing that. For the “beta” period, I only had opened up the project to L3s but I feel that we have now built a foundation that allows us to accept L2s (with L3 recommendation).

Where can I find you?: Right here or you can email me directly. If you have a scenario but do not want to join the project, we are happy to standardize it and add it to the library. You'll forever be immortalized as the author!

If you are an L2 or L3 that would like to help us out, please send me an email including the following information with your interest in joining the project:

- Name, Location, Judge Level
- Have you participated in any investigations workshops before?
- Briefly describe your investigations experience (as a judge or in other areas of your life)
- Why do you want to be a part of this project?
- The name of at least one L3 that I can contact for a recommendation on your investigation skills
- Can you dedicate about 3-5 hours of time per month to this project?

I'd like to keep applications open for about a week (application period ending on May 5th). We can't accept everyone and it will take some time to go through the applications. I will contact you once a decision has been made. If you have any questions, feel free to shoot me an email. Thank you!

May 3, 2017 07:26:06 PM

Ronald Thompson
Judge (Level 3 (Judge Academy))

USA - Northwest

I'm still looking for a few more applications, so if you are interested please apply!