Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Knowledge Pool Scenarios » Post: Seeing Red - BRONZE

Seeing Red - BRONZE

May 10, 2017 12:06:07 PM

Eric Paré
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Foundry))

Canada

Seeing Red - BRONZE

Hello and welcome back to the Knowledge Pool! This week's scenario is Bronze. You can send your solutions to the following link: https://goo.gl/forms/8gNSnVlDI0r9E8Yq1

Anubis and Nefertiti are playing in an Amonkhet Sealed PPTQ. Anubis controls Hazoret’s Favor and Bloodrage Brawler. During his precombat main phase, Anubis casts and resolves Hyena Pack, then asks, “Can I declare my attackers?”
Nefertiti says, “Sure.”
Anubis taps the Bloodrage Brawler and the Hyena Pack and says, “Trigger. My Hyena Pack has haste and 2 extra power.” Nefertiti disagrees that the Hyena Pack should be allowed to attack and calls a judge.

What do you do?

May 16, 2017 12:52:56 PM

Eric Paré
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Foundry))

Canada

Seeing Red - BRONZE

Hello again, folks! Our answer this week was submitted by Gediminas Usevičius. He says

I would inform the players, that everything that happened here was legal. Anubis did stuff out of order, but because of the recent changes of combat shortcut Anubis did not move to declare attackers step after asking “Can I declare my attackers?”. Of course, if Nefertiti wants to respond to Hazoret's Favor trigger, I would allow that and remind Anubis, that it is always better to act in order and let your opponent respond.
Following the most recent policy changes in the Magic Tournament Rules, this is not a missed trigger situation. Anubis has not committed an infraction, as per MTR section 4.2, in part:

If the active player passes priority during their first main phase, the non-active player is assumed to be acting in beginning of combat unless they are affecting how or whether a beginning of combat ability triggers. However, if the non-active player takes no action, the active player has priority at the beginning of combat. Beginning of combat triggered abilities (even ones that target) may be announced after any non-active player action has resolved.

Thus Anubis is allowed to communicate his target for Hazoret’s Favor after he passes priority to the opponent in the beginning of combat step. Nefertiti may interrupt Anubis' shortcut if she wishes to, including with the Favor trigger on the stack.

Thank you for your participation and we'll see you next time! :)

Edited Joe Klopchic (May 16, 2017 12:57:35 PM)