Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Competitive REL » Post: PPTQs for the Team PT, and finals concessions

PPTQs for the Team PT, and finals concessions

July 20, 2017 11:32:10 AM

Mark Mc Govern
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Academy)), TLC

United Kingdom, Ireland, and South Africa

As per the article earlier this week, PPTQ winners can invite whoever they like to join them at the corresponding RPTQ. Also, when discussing prize splits in the finals, you can't include anything other than the prizes for the event - i.e. you couldn't include “being a teammate at the RPTQ”.

Something like “will you concede to me if I bring you as one of my teammates” sounds very much like a DQ.

Given the sizes of PPTQs, I can see a very common situation whereby two friends get to the finals. It would be very easy for one player to blurt out something like “I'll just concede and join you at the RPTQ. Now let's head home”.

So what's the stance? Is it fficially a DQ if the situation comes up? Hence our policy as head judges should be to make damn sure the players don't say the wrong thing? Or is there some scope for leniency?

July 23, 2017 06:48:24 PM

Scott Marshall
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 4 (Judge Foundry)), Hall of Fame

USA - Northwest

Confirmed: this is an offer of something tangible, outside of / in addition to the prize pool, so it's not allowed.

And, as you said, Mark - let's be very proactive in helping players avoid unfortunate wording. Tell them what can be discussed, what can be split, etc.

d:^D

Edited Scott Marshall (July 25, 2018 03:48:24 PM)

July 25, 2018 03:48:09 PM

Scott Marshall
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 4 (Judge Foundry)), Hall of Fame

USA - Northwest

Note: the official stance on this has changed, as noted in this post: https://apps.magicjudges.org/forum/post/250382/

d:^D