Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Competitive REL » Post: Communication: Do I need to inform my opponent his triggered ability was countered on resolution?

Communication: Do I need to inform my opponent his triggered ability was countered on resolution?

July 31, 2017 04:04:43 AM

Jasper König
Judge (Uncertified)

German-speaking countries

Communication: Do I need to inform my opponent his triggered ability was countered on resolution?

Hello,

this scenario came into my mind when watching PTHOU.

Adalbert is playing Earthshaker Khenra, targeting Noahs Winding Constrictor with the triggered ability. Noah responds with Grasp of Darkness on Earthshaker Khenra while the triggered ability is still on the stack. Earthshaker Khenra is put into the Graveyard. Adalbert declares attackers. Noah declares Winding Constrictor as a blocker. It can block, because Earthshaker Khenra's triggered ability was countered on resolution. However, Adalbert didn't realize it was countered and Noah didn't tell him. Does Noah need to inform Adalbert that Earthshaker Khenra's triggered ability was countered on resolution before he (Noah) declares blockers?

I'm mainly asking for competitive REL, but some words on how you'd handle this on regular REL would be nice, too! :)

July 31, 2017 07:48:06 AM

Winter
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Academy)), GP Team-Lead-in-Training

United Kingdom, Ireland, and South Africa

Hi Jasper,

It's not either player's responsibility to point out that an ability is countered by game rules until that becomes relevant to the game state. Declaring Winding Constrictor as a blocker seems like an ideal time to do this. At Competitive REL, I would briefly explain to the players why this outcome has happened (last known information shows us Earthshaker Khenra has -2 power, certainly lower than Winding Constrictor's +2 power!) but otherwise leave them to get on with their game.

At Regular REL, this sequence of events is perfectly legal however it is not so sporting. Use your judgement if you would like to encourage Noah to point these things out in future (and keep in mind that Adalbert can't use this information completely usefully once they've declared attackers), depending on the atmosphere you would like to foster at your events, but don't issue any penalty or suggest that Noah might receive a penalty if they continue to play this way.

If Adalbert had solicited this information, then Noah would have to answer truthfully but Adalbert just went to attacks without asking. Patience is a virtue!

Edited Winter (July 31, 2017 07:49:35 AM)

July 31, 2017 07:54:20 AM

Scott Marshall
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 4 (Judge Foundry)), Hall of Fame

USA - Northwest

Noah has no responsibility for Adalbert's misunderstanding, as described here.

Since the Game Rules are what countered that ability, it could be argued that would fall under Derived Information, so Noah can't lie about it, but he doesn't have to answer questions that were never asked.

d:^D
  • Index
  • » Competitive REL
  • » Communication: Do I need to inform my opponent his triggered ability was countered on resolution?