Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Article Discussion » Post: Diversity and inclusion in MTG communities

Diversity and inclusion in MTG communities

Aug. 30, 2017 03:23:13 PM

Aruna Prem Bianzino
Judge (Level 3 (International Judge Program))

Iberia

This thread is for discussing the new article from the player experience blog:
https://blogs.magicjudges.org/playerexperience/2017/08/30/diversity-and-inclusion-in-mtg-communities/

Aruna

Aug. 30, 2017 04:21:20 PM

Abdulrahman Alhadhrami
Judge (Level 2 (International Judge Program))

Europe - East

Thanks for the article. I have a couple of questions.
Who decides if a player's claim of feeling unwelcomed is genuine or not? Who decides if something is really unwelcoming or not?

Edited Abdulrahman Alhadhrami (Aug. 30, 2017 04:21:37 PM)

Aug. 30, 2017 04:37:57 PM

Mark Mc Govern
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Academy)), TLC

United Kingdom, Ireland, and South Africa

Common sense should be enough I imagine. It'll be up to a Judge to determine if something is in breach of the JAR, and up to the judge and the TO as to what to do about wider issues.

Aug. 30, 2017 07:06:01 PM

Mark Mason
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Academy))

USA - Midatlantic

Originally posted by Abdulrahman Alhadhrami:

Who decides if a player's claim of feeling unwelcomed is genuine or not?

First, all feelings are valid …even ones that are arrived at “illogically” or through “perception error”. As a judge, I wouldn't want to ever say to a player who has a feeling (even one that seems odd to me) and say, “You can't really be feeling that way, that's ridiculous.”

So let's set aside the word “claim” and “genuine” as objective claims and recall that we have a tool for this in most other cases.

I.E. Did this player genuinely think they were playing Preordain when they incorrectly resolved Serum Visions.

That process is–an investigation.

Likewise, I would suggest to you the “standard” is very similar to the “standard” we're held to as judges when issuing a DQ for cheating. That is, we don't need to have definitive proof (though it's nice if we do)…nor do we need to be 100% SURE. (If you're at all “sure” then one is obligated by the IPG to DQ).

Who decides if something is really unwelcoming or not?

Judges do. It's what we do all the time, right? You're not obligated to be “right”…you're obligated to do your best.

Please note, there are also de-esculation techniques that can be employed when your investigation leads to you suspect there was no intention and/or a perception issue at play. One simple one is to ask the players together (after you did the separate investigation) to agree to the points in your investigation so both hear them and affirm them. Then ask the players if they would both feel comfortable with high fiving, shaking hands, fist bumping, etc… and going forward from here. When you get some physical contacts (at least for most players) this can be the first layer of a bond. This is one quick technique. Enjoy.

Aug. 30, 2017 07:06:22 PM

Milan Majerčík
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Academy)), Scorekeeper

Europe - Central

Thank you for articles on these topics. I still meet demonstrations of intolerance and prejudice every day in tournaments or in the community as a whole. There is never enough of such proclamations of what we strive for.

However, I do not think it is a good idea to build the article in a way where it's “climax” is speaking about penalties, DQs and such. I would rather want to see a positive motivation (“your communities will be more open and thus will become bigger and more lively) instead of ”intimidation".

Aug. 30, 2017 08:17:52 PM

Rebecca Lawrence
Judge (Uncertified)

USA - Midatlantic

Originally posted by Mark Mason:

Then ask the players if they would both feel comfortable with high fiving, shaking hands, fist bumping, etc… and going forward from here. When you get some physical contacts (at least for most players) this can be the first layer of a bond. This is one quick technique. Enjoy.

I strongly advise against this kind of technique. You are in a position of authority, and proposing this kind of exchange creates an unspoken impetus to comply with your instructions, even if one or more parties involved do not feel physically safe in doing so.

Treat your players with maturity and independence, as individuals with their own personal needs and ways of interacting with the world. They don't need to be handled like kindergartners where unified order is the goal; our objective when deescalating is to remind people what's expected of them and get them back to a place of calm, not to force them to engage.

Edited Rebecca Lawrence (Aug. 30, 2017 08:19:53 PM)

Sept. 7, 2017 06:04:27 PM

Riki Hayashi
Judge (Uncertified), Scorekeeper, Tournament Organizer

USA - Midatlantic

Kids that attend a prerelease, excited to play with the grown-ups, who open a rare card and then someone comes saying “look, this is a 7/7 dragon with flying, you’ll be unstoppable with this, let me trade it for that ugly golden card you just opened”.

It's not clear what the author's stance on this in terms of the follow up paragraphs regarding infractions and penalties, but I wanted to make it clear that we as judges should not be issuing infractions for this type of behavior. We as members of the community can certainly discourage predatory trading, but not in an official capacity as judges. If this type of behavior is a repeated problem, discuss the matter with the TO as that is the proper party to handle any punitive repercussions here.

Sept. 15, 2017 02:21:30 AM

Alice Bailey
Judge (Uncertified)

Canada

I am used to being the token girl in the geeky group. It’s been that way forever! I attended a college program focused around video game development… over a decade ago. I was one a handful of women in the entire building during the two year program. I am used to guys overlooking the fact that there is a woman in the room.

I also can say it is that very base assumption that (for the most part) unintentionally results in a lot of guys generating an unwelcome vibe for girls to be there.

I do not play Magic to feel unwelcome. I am certaining not a fan of promoting that vibe while Judging. I want to help Magic grow for all players to feel welcome. Since I started Judging, I have had a lot of new players be surprised in a good way they were being taught by a girl. (I am happy to be one of the boys as long as they respect that I am still a girl.)

Due to a recent event, I almost feel like leaving the program because of the issues surrounding diversity. I am starting to feel like 4.2 is attempting to do too much with a vast amount of Judges only understanding the bad behaviours side of the coin while not having the experience to handle the prejudices that 4.2 claims to protect players from.

Edited Alice Bailey (Sept. 15, 2017 02:23:18 AM)