Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Competitive REL » Post: Is this PCV???

Is this PCV???

Sept. 4, 2017 03:09:54 PM [Original Post]

Gediminas Usevičius
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Academy)), Scorekeeper, Tournament Organizer

Europe - North

Is this PCV???

Alie casts Gilded Cerodon and says your ‘Can’t block' while tapping Neon's Hollow One. Then Alie attacks with few creatures, Neon does not block and goes to 1. In the 2nd main phase Alie casts a creature and ends turn, after which Neon untaps and draws a card at which point Alie calls you to the table and explains that he thought that Gilded Ceredon had an ETB and not attack trigger. After investigating, you rule out cheating and believe that Neon did not want to be rude and reread the card.
What do you do? Do you count it as a bluff? A PCV?

Edit: tweaked tags for card names

Edited Scott Marshall (Sept. 5, 2017 11:44:30 AM)

Sept. 6, 2017 07:44:56 AM [Marked as Accepted Answer]

Scott Marshall
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 4 (Judge Foundry)), Hall of Fame

USA - Northwest

Is this PCV???

I missed that the Cerodon wasn't attacking (no Haste, Scott!), which changes this a bit.
Originally posted by IPG 3.7:

Players may not represent derived or free information incorrectly.
The Cerodon's ability is part of Oracle text, which is implied by the card, and is considered Derived info:
Originally posted by MTR 4.1:

Game Rules, Tournament Policy, Oracle content and any other official information pertaining to the current tournament. Cards are considered to have their Oracle text printed on them.
If the Cerodon were also attacking - as I first read it - this could be a simple GRV, and no harm done.
In this case, however, I'm calling it the rare & reclusive CPV, and that means considering a rewind to where things went wrong - i.e., when Noel acts on the “can't block” misstatement. Alie also acted on that, but:
Originally posted by IPG:

A backup may be considered in cases where a player has clearly acted upon incorrect information provided to him or her by his or her opponent. The backup should be to the point of the action, not the erroneous communication.
Alie acted on his own error, Noel acted on his opponent's error.

d:^D

Edited Scott Marshall (Sept. 6, 2017 07:45:41 AM)

Sept. 5, 2017 06:37:07 AM

Floris De Baerdemaeker
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Academy))

BeNeLux

Is this PCV???

I would rule this as a gpe-grv, assuming no cheating.

For something to be CPV, it must be an infraction against MTR 4.1.

Refer to section 4.1 of the Magic Tournament Rules for a full explanation of the policy. It can be summarized as:
Players must answer all questions asked of them by a judge completely and honestly, regardless of the type of information requested. Players may request to do so away from the match.
Players must answer completely and honestly any specific questions pertaining to free information.

I think it is a bit of a stretch to fit this example within the CPV policy. It fits much more nicely as a GRV.

Sept. 5, 2017 06:46:33 AM

Gareth Tanner

United Kingdom, Ireland, and South Africa

Is this PCV???

Why is this a CPV and not a GRV for resolving the trigger at the wrong time?

Sept. 5, 2017 11:26:02 AM

Isaac King
Judge (Uncertified)

Barriere, Canada

Is this PCV???

As Floris explained above, CPV is only for violations of the communication policy described in section 4.1 of the MTR.

This situation would be a GRV + FtMGS, for resolving a trigger that didn't exist. A backup is probably going to be acceptable here, but it would of course depend on the exact game state.

Sept. 5, 2017 11:48:53 AM

Scott Marshall
Forum Moderator

USA - Northwest

Is this PCV???

To quote a lot of people: it's never CPV (except when it really is). :)

Nope, this is not CPV, it's a simple GRV for reading the card incorrectly; I'm not sure this is even worth anything more than a “read more carefully, OK?”, as nothing happened that couldn't have happened - i.e., it's almost the same philosophy as Out of Order Sequencing (it's not that, either, any more than CPV).

However, it is technically a GRV, and recording it means we can detect a pattern of abuse (in the unlikely event that Alie is doing this a lot, for benefit).

Sept. 5, 2017 12:10:53 PM

Jake Eakle
Judge (Uncertified)

USA - Northeast

Is this PCV???

I'm confused about two things:

Originally posted by Gediminas Usevičius:

Alie casts Gilded Cerodon and says your ‘Can’t block' while tapping Neon's Hollow One.

Does “tapping” here mean “touching with a finger” rather than “turning sideways”? And should “your ‘Can’t block'” read “'your creature can't block'”?

Originally posted by Scott Marshall:

nothing happened that couldn't have happened - i.e., it's almost the same philosophy as Out of Order Sequencing

As far as I can tell from reading the scenario, Gilded Cerodon was just cast and cannot attack, so it would not be possible to resolve its trigger this turn. Am I missing something?

Sept. 6, 2017 04:46:28 AM

Winter
Judge (Level 2 (UK Magic Officials)), GP Team-Lead-in-Training

United Kingdom, Ireland, and South Africa

Is this PCV???

Originally posted by Jake Eakle:

I'm confused about two things:

Originally posted by Gediminas Usevičius:

Alie casts Gilded Cerodon and says your ‘Can’t block' while tapping Neon's Hollow One.

Does “tapping” here mean “touching with a finger” rather than “turning sideways”? And should “your ‘Can’t block'” read “'your creature can't block'”?

nothing happened that couldn't have happened - i.e., it's almost the same philosophy as Out of Order Sequencing

As far as I can tell from reading the scenario, Gilded Cerodon was just cast and cannot attack, so it would not be possible to resolve its trigger this turn. Am I missing something?

The player thinks it is an Enter the Battlefield trigger as has incorrectly resolved that trigger when it entered the battlefield (when it instead triggers on attacks). I didn't read tapping to mean the usual game-term tapping, but as you suggested to touch it with a finger; with the “can't block” I would take it to mean they are saying the creature they are tapping their finger on cannot block.

Sept. 6, 2017 07:44:56 AM [Marked as Accepted Answer]

Scott Marshall
Forum Moderator

USA - Northwest

Is this PCV???

I missed that the Cerodon wasn't attacking (no Haste, Scott!), which changes this a bit.
Originally posted by IPG 3.7:

The Cerodon's ability is part of Oracle text, which is implied by the card, and is considered Derived info:
Originally posted by MTR 4.1:

Game Rules, Tournament Policy, Oracle content and any other official information pertaining to the current tournament. Cards are considered to have their Oracle text printed on them.
If the Cerodon were also attacking - as I first read it - this could be a simple GRV, and no harm done.
In this case, however, I'm calling it the rare & reclusive CPV, and that means considering a rewind to where things went wrong - i.e., when Noel acts on the “can't block” misstatement. Alie also acted on that, but:

A backup may be considered in cases where a player has clearly acted upon incorrect information provided to him or her by his or her opponent. The backup should be to the point of the action, not the erroneous communication.
Alie acted on his own error, Noel acted on his opponent's error.

Edited Scott Marshall (Sept. 6, 2017 07:45:41 AM)

Sept. 6, 2017 07:55:39 PM

Isaac King
Judge (Uncertified)

Barriere, Canada

Is this PCV???

By that logic, can't pretty much any error be framed as a CPV? “Judge, I accidentally put my creature that was Path to Exiled into the graveyard- Well, the text of Path to Exile is derived info, so that's a CPV.”

Sept. 6, 2017 08:15:05 PM

Scott Marshall
Forum Moderator

USA - Northwest

Is this PCV???

uhhh… No.

Ariel communicated and incorrectly represented derived info.

Sept. 7, 2017 08:43:18 AM

Francesco Scialpi
Judge (Level 2 (International Judge Program))

Italy and Malta

Is this PCV???

Originally posted by Isaac King:

By that logic, can't pretty much any error be framed as a CPV? “Judge, I accidentally put my creature that was Path to Exiled into the graveyard- Well, the text of Path to Exile is derived info, so that's a CPV.”

uhhh… No.

What if AP casts Path to Exile and tells her opponent “please put that creature in your graveyard”?
Would this be PCV?

Sept. 7, 2017 09:17:42 AM

Bernie Hoelschen
Judge (Level 1 (Judge Academy)), Scorekeeper

USA - Northeast

Is this PCV???

Originally posted by Francesco Scialpi:

What if AP casts Path to Exile and tells her opponent “please put that creature in your graveyard”?
Would this be PCV?

Under what was outlined above by Scott, the action of AP telling NAP what to do with the creature, which would lead to improperly resolving the effect of Path to Exile, is incorrectly represented derived information (Oracle text). As such, yes, this should be considered CPV.

I could see this happening. Round 8 or 9 of a modern GP, player has foreign copies of Path to Exile, casts targeting an opposing creature; NAP asks what the card does (instead of calling for a judge), AP says ‘destroys the creature, and you can search for a basic’, forgetting it's an exile effect. While NAP resolves it incorrectly, they are doing so because of information directly communicated by their opponent, so the root cause of the infraction would be CPV with consideration for a backup to the point of resolving PtE.

And yet, if AP says ‘it exiles the creature’ and omits the part about searching for a basic, there is no infraction, as oracle text is derived info, and the statement that Path to Exile exiles the creature is factually correct.

Sept. 7, 2017 09:27:41 AM

Isaac King
Judge (Uncertified)

Barriere, Canada

Is this PCV???

uhhh… No.

Ok, I chose a bad analogy. Let me try again- AP casts Doom Blade on a creature with protection from black. NAP puts the card into the graveyard. Is this CPV? In my eyes, this is pretty much the same situation as the original question- pointing at a creature and saying “that can't block” is choosing a target for the ability, which he wasn't supposed to do.

Sept. 7, 2017 09:45:27 AM

Olivier Wattel
Judge (Level 1 (Judge Academy)), Scorekeeper

BeNeLux

Is this PCV???

Originally posted by Isaac King:

Ok, I chose a bad analogy. Let me try again- AP casts Doom Blade on a creature with protection from black. NAP puts the card into the graveyard. Is this CPV? In my eyes, this is pretty much the same situation as the original question- pointing at a creature and saying “that can't block” is choosing a target for the ability, which he wasn't supposed to do.

No, as in the first scenario, you claim something that isn't true (the creature not being able to block) while in your example you are targetting an illegal target which is a GRV.

Edited Olivier Wattel (Sept. 7, 2017 10:10:57 AM)

Sept. 7, 2017 01:17:17 PM

Andrew Keeler

USA - Southeast

Is this PCV???

I think the line here looks kind of like the line between (double) GRV and FtMGS. It's kind of a hazy line, but in general taking an incorrect action like casting a spell that alters the gamestate in some way shpould fall on the GRV side of things, while simply representing something untrue about the game (in this case “this ability has triggered”) falls more on the CPV side. As others have pointed out, you also can't CPV with yourself, that's just making a mistake.