Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Competitive REL » Post: Blood Moon, shocklands, and players unaware of a rules change

Blood Moon, shocklands, and players unaware of a rules change

Oct. 2, 2017 03:25:41 AM

Francesco Scialpi
Judge (Level 2 (International Judge Program))

Italy and Malta

Blood Moon on the battlefield.

AP plays a shockland, tapped, and says “Go”.
NAP untaps.

What do you do?

Oct. 2, 2017 03:55:42 AM

Emilien Wild
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 3 (International Judge Program)), Grand Prix Head Judge

BeNeLux

A rule was broken: either AP played a card taped when it would be untapped, or AP passed priority with many in his or her mana pool without announcing it.
Intervene, investigate to know which one it was and if NAP was aware of that, aware of the appropriate rules, and broke it on purpose to gain an advantage.
Apply the appropriate fix if any (most likely rollback to the point the land was played, make it enter the battlefield untap, and AP have priority), and resume the game of NAP hasn't been disqualified. Educate between games, and make a note that an annoucement at the start of the event may have been appropriate given the format.

- Emilien

Oct. 2, 2017 06:56:38 AM

Brook Gardner-Durbin
Judge (Level 5 (Judge Foundry))

USA - Great Lakes

Originally posted by Emilien Wild:

A rule was broken: either AP played a card taped when it would be untapped,or AP passed priority with many in his or her mana pool without announcing it.

Emilien, would you step into the match and investigate if a player played a Swamp tapped and then passed the turn?

Oct. 2, 2017 08:19:03 AM

Emilien Wild
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 3 (International Judge Program)), Grand Prix Head Judge

BeNeLux

The answer is in your quotation.

- Emilien

Oct. 11, 2017 04:45:24 AM

Brook Gardner-Durbin
Judge (Level 5 (Judge Foundry))

USA - Great Lakes

Emilien, I asked because my reaction to this situation was to say this was a legal game state, and the player not announcing their floating mana was not a big problem, and covered by the IPG's sentence “If a minor violation is quickly handled by the players to their mutual satisfaction, a judge does not need to intervene.”

I don't want to derail this thread, so I started another thread to discuss that sentence here.

Oct. 11, 2017 05:38:27 AM

Francesco Scialpi
Judge (Level 2 (International Judge Program))

Italy and Malta

Originally posted by Brook Gardner-Durbin:

Emilien, I asked because my reaction to this situation was to say this was a legal game state, and the player not announcing their floating mana was not a big problem, and covered by the IPG's sentence "If a minor violation is quickly handled by the players to their mutual satisfaction, a judge does not need to intervene."

Sure, but here:
- the violation isn't handled
- I am pretty sure AP wouldn't be satisfied at all.