Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Competitive REL » Post: Scarb God delayed return trigger

Scarb God delayed return trigger

Oct. 28, 2017 05:43:20 PM

Casey Miko
Judge (Uncertified)

Canada

Question

2 situations both at comp rel.

1) my scarab god dies on my opponents turn. He passes turn. I untap and say upkeep. I notice my scarab god and announce for the first time. Scarab god was supposed to return at end step.

I missed the trigger and do not get it back.

2) my scrab god dies on my opponents turn. I acknowledge the trigger as it dies saying it will return at end step. Opponent passes turn. I untap, upkeep then mention my scarab god was supposed to return.

I ackowledged trigger but failed to resolve at the appropriate time. I get my scarab god back.

I believe I have the correct interpretation of each situation.

Nov. 1, 2017 01:26:00 PM

Callum Milne
Forum Moderator
Judge (Uncertified)

Canada

Neither of these are rules questions, so they don't really belong here; I'll move this thread along to the Competitive REL forum for you and open it for discussion.

Nov. 1, 2017 01:52:45 PM

Evgeniy Bryzgalov
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Academy))

Russia and Russian-speaking countries

Scarab God trigger is delayed trigger

A delayed triggered ability that changes the zone of one or more objects defined when the ability was created. For this trigger, the opponent chooses whether to resolve the ability the next time a player would get priority or when a player would get priority at the start of the next phase.

So the God will be back anyway

Nov. 1, 2017 07:41:22 PM

Florian Horn
Judge (Level 3 (International Judge Program)), Grand Prix Head Judge, Scorekeeper

France

To expand a bit on Evgeniy's answer, the first trigger “When the Scarab God dies” does nothing else than creating a delayed trigger, so it resolves automatically, regardless of whether you mention it or not.
It is possible to miss the second trigger, but then the fix is to resolve it when it is noticed.

Nov. 1, 2017 10:33:10 PM

Scott Marshall
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 4 (Judge Foundry)), Hall of Fame

USA - Northwest

Evgeniy and Florian covered the policy regarding this type of trigger - Obzedat was the “poster boy” for a long time, now it's this Scarab dude … but the policy remains solid, regardless of the currently played card.

d;^D