Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Regular REL » Post: Prerelease Product

Prerelease Product

April 24, 2013 02:51:20 AM

William Anderson
Judge (Uncertified)

USA - Northeast

Prerelease Product

As I understand it, for each guild in each previous prerelease, there were 8 identical packs that were distributed. So for example, there were 7 rares that were present in the guild packs and 1 mythic. Thus only 35 of the rares in the set and 5 of the mythics were potentially available in the return to ravnica prerelease and the same thing was true for the gatecrash prerelease. And thus, there were 10 mythics and 18 rares per set that could not have been opened in the guild pack.

I've been informed (perhaps wrongly, perhaps correctly) that Dragon's Maze will use the exact same guild packs. As a result, there are 10 mythics and 18 rares from RTR that cannot appear at the prerelease. Additionally, there are 10 mythics and 18 rares from Gatecrash that cannot appear at the prerelease. I'm told that these cards that cannot appear in the prerelease include:
Angelic Skirmisher
Ash Zealot
Archon of the Triumvirate
Carnival Hellsteed
Chromatic Lantern
Consuming Aberration
Corpsejack Menace
Death's Presence
Fathom Mage
Five-Alarm Fire
Foundry Champion
Glaring Spotlight
Grove of the Guardian
Hypersonic Dragon
Illusionist's Bracers
Ogre Slumlord
Ooze Flux
PACK RAT
Pithing Needle
Realmwright
Rest in Peace
Rubblehulk
Search the City
Thespian's Stage
Treasury Thrull
Volatile Rig
And mythics that cannot be opened:
RTR:
Angel of Serenity
Armada Wurm
Epic Experiment
Jace, Architect of Thought
Necropolis Regent
Rakdos's Return
Sphinx's Revelation
Utvara Hellkite
Vraska the Unseen
Worldspine Wurm
GTC:
Aurelia's Fury
Deathpact Angel
Domri Rade
Duskmantle Seer
Enter the Infinite
Giant Adephage
Gideon, Champion of Justice
Hellkite Tyrant
Lord of the Void
Master Biomancer

I'd like to know whether this information is accurate. If its true, it has some very clear ramifications for anyone that we catch playing with one of those cards. However, its also something that I'd appreciate some level of confirmation on.

April 24, 2013 03:45:12 AM

Matthew Johnson
Judge (Level 3 (UK Magic Officials))

United Kingdom, Ireland, and South Africa

Prerelease Product

On Wed Apr 24 07:52, William Anderson wrote:
> As I understand it, for each guild in each previous prerelease, there were 8 identical packs that were distributed. So for example, there were 7 rares that were present in the guild packs and 1 mythic. Thus only 35 of the rares in the set and 5 of the mythics were potentially available in the return to ravnica prerelease and the same thing was true for the gatecrash prerelease. And thus, there were 10 mythics and 18 rares per set that could not have been opened in the guild pack.
>
> I've been informed (perhaps wrongly, perhaps correctly) that Dragon's Maze will use the exact same guild packs. As a result, there are 10 mythics and 18 rares from RTR that cannot appear at the prerelease. Additionally, there are 10 mythics and 18 rares from Gatecrash that cannot appear at the prerelease. I'm told that these cards that cannot appear in the prerelease include:

If it's true there are also second-order considerations, such as it's impossible to have a pool with both Skymark Roc and Detention Sphere

Matt

April 24, 2013 10:53:37 AM

Scott Marshall
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 4 (Judge Foundry)), Hall of Fame

USA - Northwest

Prerelease Product

Some elements of the prerelease shall remain a surprise, until then.

Lacking that info, please just use normal investigation methods if you suspect someone of adding cards.