Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Tournament Operations » Post: Player not-quite caught stealing

Player not-quite caught stealing

April 27, 2013 07:34:03 PM

Alan Cleaver
Judge (Uncertified)

USA - South

We have a player that shows up a couple of times per year for a prerelease, Thadius (not his real name). I believe he is stealing.

The only time items are ever reported stolen at our events are the times that he attends.
Occasionally, he “comes up” with items that have been reported stolen, which he gives to the person that “lost” them.
At today's prerelease, an item was reported stolen, and he left. Another player turned in the item a few minutes later; suspiciously “showed up”
Two of my players that I respect, have told me that they've caught him in suspicious circumstances concerning collections that have gone missing.

I fully believe Thadius is stealing, but I never have him dead-to-rights on it. It's never a fully unique item that he couldn't have acquired elsewhere, or there's nobody around to notice him at the right time where we can catch him red-handed. It's always circumstantial.

He makes more work for the judging staff by just being in the room. The TO would rather avoid bad press, but would like to be rid of him as much as I would. My players enjoy the tournaments less when he's there, because they always have to be especially guarded.

This is the first time I'm having to deal with this, and I don't know quite what to do. Does anyone have a suggestion, preferably backed up by prior precedence/experience?

Thank you in advance,
Alan C. Cleaver

Edited Alan Cleaver (April 27, 2013 07:51:17 PM)

April 27, 2013 07:53:47 PM

Shawn Doherty
Judge (Level 5 (Judge Foundry))

USA - Northeast

Does the TO think that banning the player from the store would be “bad press”? If so, try to explain why it's bad to have him at the site. If not, talk to the TO about banning him.

April 27, 2013 08:26:09 PM

Alan Cleaver
Judge (Uncertified)

USA - South

Thadius has a bit of influence with some players, and drives in a few others for tournies. If we ban him from playing at our events, we will lose those players. And if we have to have this conversation with the player at our next event, say Modern Masters release weekend, he may make a scene. A scene would certainly not go over well in the middle of our Local Game Store.

Then Thadius can get on Facebook and lie about our store. Then he can go to the other FNM store in the area and talk about what a bad comic shot / staff they have across town. Getting rid of him will be good in the long run, but we also can't just tell every player that comes in asking about the situation, “well, he's a thief and we didn't want him around.” That could get us in trouble, and all we want to do is protect our players and the integrity of this game.

Tournament Organizer trusts my judgement fully, and if I say he's unwelcome, they he won't be allow in any more of our tournies. But again, can I just say “I believe you're a thief and I don't want you here anymore. Please leave and don't come back”?

This would be much simpler if I could just catch him sticking a fat pack in his jacket and trying to run away…

Edited Alan Cleaver (April 27, 2013 08:33:14 PM)

April 27, 2013 08:57:52 PM

Shawn Doherty
Judge (Level 5 (Judge Foundry))

USA - Northeast

Originally posted by Alan Cleaver:

But again, can I just say “I believe you're a thief and I don't want you here anymore. Please leave and don't come back”?

Yes, you can do this. Why let a thief keep stealing things until you finally catch him? This isn't a court of law. You don't need beyond a shadow of a doubt. Do what you think is best for the store. If you and/or the TO think it is better to have this guy around (so that he keeps bringing people and stealing from others), then let him stay. If you think it is better to have a thief gone (and maybe have less overall players), then ban him.

Personally, I'd rather have less players that don't get robbed, then more players who get robbed.

April 28, 2013 08:02:41 AM

Joaquim Neumann
Judge (Uncertified)

German-speaking countries

how about reporting to the police that you suspect him but are unable to catch him red-handed. At least in my country police helps with such things.
Additionally the store can deny entrance to him as long as it wants. Tell him he is unwanted and he has to respect this.

April 28, 2013 08:42:50 AM

Alan Cleaver
Judge (Uncertified)

USA - South

Yes, you can do this. Why let a thief keep stealing things until you finally catch him? This isn't a court of law. You don't need beyond a shadow of a doubt. Do what you think is best for the store.
Personally, I'd rather have less players that don't get robbed, then more players who get robbed.
. . .
Additionally the store can deny entrance to him as long as it wants. Tell him he is unwanted and he has to respect this.

Yeah, I think this is exactly what I'll do. It is the best thing for the integrity of our playing community, and I'll be happy to be rid of him.

Edited Alan Cleaver (April 28, 2013 08:43:29 AM)

April 29, 2013 06:37:05 PM

David De Loach
Judge (Uncertified)

USA - South

You need to start your events with the “stuff” speech. This will tell people that unguarded items will disappear. We have used this at the shop I judge at and will help your player base know not to give these types of people opportunities to steal.

April 29, 2013 06:42:48 PM

Andrew Heckt
Judge (Uncertified)

Italy and Malta

A page from the Sheldon playbook…

Sheldon would know of problematic players and recognize them. He would then approach them very early in the event, the sooner the better, and welcome them to the event. He would say I’ll paraphrase
“Mark, it is so good to have you back for our event. I’m certain that we will all have an excellent time and we will not have to worry about any (insert concern here) happening today. If you need to talk to me about anything, I’m here.”

Andy

April 29, 2013 06:46:45 PM

Josh Stansfield
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Foundry))

USA - Southwest

Originally posted by David De Loach:

You need to start your events with the “stuff” speech. This will tell people that unguarded items will disappear. We have used this at the shop I judge at and will help your player base know not to give these types of people opportunities to steal.
While that's helpful, it doesn't solve the problem of having a thief at your events. Someone looking for stuff to steal will always find an opportunity. Most people have a lapse of attention at some point. If there's no one looking to steal things, that's not a big deal. If someone IS looking to steal things, that's where the problem comes in.

So I fully agree with having the “stuff” speech, even if there isn't a suspected thief. Just be careful not to portray an attitude of “If you don't want someone to steal your stuff, pay better attention.” This isn't the same as “Don't miss your triggers.” :-P

Edited Josh Stansfield (April 29, 2013 07:04:26 PM)

Sept. 28, 2013 10:28:40 AM

Alan Cleaver
Judge (Uncertified)

USA - South

So, this went down last night.

Since my initial post, Thadias hadn't been into my shop for six months. However, between those times he stole something but gave it back with the person confronted him about it.

I did exactly what I said I'd do, pulled him away from the table after an EDH game and told him, “I believe you're a thief. I'm removing you from this tournament. You are no longer welcome here or anyplace I have influence. Would you like to take the Theros product with you, or would you prefer a refund?” The game store owner took my advice and banned him from the venue, and I called the other close store to suggest they do the same.

It was emotional. He cried. He wanted to know who accused him, I informed him that I wouldn't be able to tell him the other players names. He called WotC Customer Service, I provided the number for him.

Worst night as a judge so far, but I believe it was the best thing to do for the health of our gaming community.

Sept. 29, 2013 12:47:30 AM

Craig Reeder
Judge (Uncertified)

USA - Great Lakes

It sounds like you handled it very well and professionally. Good job!

Sept. 30, 2013 11:52:58 AM

Adam Zakreski
Judge (Uncertified)

Canada

Removing a player from the event never feels good, especially when a banning is involved. I feel like it's our version of a police officer having to discharge his fire arm. You know you had to do it, but it doesn't feel good. I'd have some serious concerns if anyone felt great after banning someone.

Hold your head high and know you did the right thing.

Sept. 30, 2013 01:42:09 PM

Alan Cleaver
Judge (Uncertified)

USA - South

Thanks guys. I agree: right thing to do for our gaming community, but I hated doing it.

Sept. 30, 2013 04:50:40 PM

Scott Maddock
Judge (Level 1 (Judge Academy))

USA - Northeast

Originally posted by Adam Zakreski:

Removing a player from the event never feels good, especially when a banning is involved. I feel like it's our version of a police officer having to discharge his fire arm. You know you had to do it, but it doesn't feel good. I'd have some serious concerns if anyone felt great after banning someone.

Hold your head high and know you did the right thing.

+1. It sounds like you landed in a situation that only presented crappy options, and you handled it as well as one could reasonably expect.

For what it's worth, the fact that you “pulled the trigger” in this instance should act as a very solid warning to anyone else who might consider such behavior at your venue in the future. And for everyone else, it should provide an additional sense of security. In short, your venue and your players are benefiting from the one you just took for the team.