Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Competitive REL » Post: Kess Checklist card @ GP Seattle

Kess Checklist card @ GP Seattle

April 6, 2018 03:11:07 AM

Johannes Wagner
Judge (Level 2 (International Judge Program))

German-speaking countries

https://i.redd.it/hiaijoc998q01.png

Is this allowed?

(sorry that I didnt add MTR quotes or sth like that, but I couldn't find one that would allow sth like that…)

Edited Johannes Wagner (April 6, 2018 03:46:35 AM)

April 6, 2018 03:18:40 AM

Mark Brown
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Academy)), Regional Coordinator (Australia and New Zealand), Scorekeeper

Australia and New Zealand

Closed for official response

April 6, 2018 01:50:10 PM

Scott Marshall
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 4 (Judge Foundry)), Hall of Fame

USA - Northwest

Yes: consider the source, Johannes; CFBE is Wizards' designated organizer for GPs, they work closely with Wizards, and I'd say kudos to whoever realized they needed checklist cards for this event.

d:^D

April 6, 2018 02:15:07 PM

Johannes Wagner

Is it possible to have a clarification for that? It sets a bad precedent for non-CFBE-TOs because they will get asked to do that for bent foils…

April 6, 2018 03:32:52 PM

Kevin Desprez
Judge (Level 3 (Judge Academy)), Grand Prix Head Judge, L3 Panel Lead, Scorekeeper

France

Hello,

Disclaimer:
This decision has been taken in collaboration with WotC to be used at GP Seattle only. Scott Larabee and Toby Elliott on working on updating the MTR, likely for Dominaria. Until MTRs are updated, this remains a GP Seattle-only decision.
End Disclaimer

So you can understand, here is the guiding philosophy we used for this tournament. Once again, what I write here is by no way policy:
For a Checklist to be issued for a card, it needs to meet the following two criteria:
1- Having that card in the deck would make the deck marked
2- There is no other existing version of this card

Existing version does not mean “local availability”. To take an example, under this philosophy, it's not because a player cannot find non-marked Cryptic Commands as they own 4 marked Player Reward copies that they're eligible to a Checklist card.
This week-end, we have issued Checklist cards for Kess, Dissident Mage and Vial Smasher the Fierce, two cards who were so far solely printed in Commander 2017 and Commander 2016 in FOIL only.
If they had been printed in another set or if a non-foil had been available, they would not have been eligible.

Reminder
I'll repeat myself but:
1- This is a GP Seattle only decision that cannot be used anywhere else unless there is a change in the MTR.
2- What I explain here may not reflect any upcoming change in the rules so wait for the next version of the MTR.
End Reminder

Thanks.

Kevin.

Edited Kevin Desprez (April 6, 2018 03:33:44 PM)

April 6, 2018 04:08:54 PM

Johannes Wagner

Thanks. That's something we can work with :)

April 7, 2018 01:15:36 AM

Russell Deutsch
Judge (Uncertified)

USA - Northeast

If someone present can post a picture of what they look like, that'd be great. Are they specialty checklist cards? Or is this a special way of saying “judge proxy” ?

A lover of Kess Pile,
Russ

April 7, 2018 03:34:48 AM

Scott Marshall
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 4 (Judge Foundry)), Hall of Fame

USA - Northwest

In addition to Kevin's thorough list of cautions, I'll add that the very few judges who have to worry about this right now are all rather busy at that GP in Seattle. Any decisions based on their experience will come after the GP, and we're just going to wait patiently for updates.

(and, while we're being patient, I'll lock this, since we can't really expect to add anything useful for now)

d:^D