Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Regular REL » Post: Game Day Situation

Game Day Situation

May 26, 2013 12:09:20 AM

Cris Plyler
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Academy))

USA - Central

Game Day Situation

This happened at a local game day and I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas on what should be done.

At the beginning of the tournament there was a player who was in a wheelchair, so the HJ assigned a table for that player and made that announcement. In round one there was apparently some confusion and at that table and another table (the table the player was assigned to sit by WER) the players ended up playing the wrong people. This error was not discovered until the end of round 3. Unfortunatly there was no way to really fix this problem since the two players who won actually were supposed to play each other.

So does anyone have any ideas on how to handle this problem?
Fixes/Solutions?

May 26, 2013 09:48:06 AM

Adam Zakreski
Judge (Uncertified)

Canada

Game Day Situation

Since this is round 1 and at Regular REL. I'd manually re-pair these two matches with the players that actually played.

May 26, 2013 12:34:18 PM

Jason Clark
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Foundry))

Canada

Game Day Situation

I have to assume that match slips weren't being used.

The best way to handle this, is to make sure the confusion doesn't happen in the first place. What my store does, is they assign my seat, and then post pairings. Once the players have found their seats, the HJ finds my opponent, and directs him/her to my assigned seat.

May 26, 2013 02:32:53 PM

Cris Plyler
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Academy))

USA - Central

Game Day Situation

Originally posted by Adam Zakreski:

Since this is round 1 and at Regular REL. I'd manually re-pair these two matches with the players that actually played.

That would be feasable if it were caught in round 1. Unfortunatly it wasn't discovered until round 3, at that point you can't manually re-pair the matches from round 1.

May 26, 2013 09:11:45 PM

Adam Zakreski
Judge (Uncertified)

Canada

Game Day Situation

Ah I read that as the end of game 3. I see your conundrum.

May 26, 2013 09:25:08 PM

Josh Stansfield
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Foundry))

USA - Southwest

Game Day Situation

There's not much that can be done at that point. Suggest to the players that they confirm they have the right opponent in the future. Leave the results as they are. If the players end up unhappy, the TO may want to issue a refund or some other compensation as an apology for the confusion. If this is in any way the judge's fault, a personal apology might be in order (can't tell what caused the problem).

To avoid the problem in the future, use match slips and assign someone to take personal responsibility for making sure the “fixed seat” matches are playing the right opponents (since WER doesn't actually support fixed seating).

May 26, 2013 09:54:48 PM

Jacob Faturechi
Judge (Uncertified)

USA - Southwest

Game Day Situation

In such a situation, I would run the event by hand and submit the results
to the WPN rep. Don't let the limitations of WER mess too much with a
Regular event.
On May 26, 2013 7:21 PM, “Josh Stansfield” <

May 26, 2013 09:57:43 PM

Dominick Riesland
Judge (Uncertified)

USA - North

Game Day Situation

You can force WER to do it, but you have to edit the matches each round:

First, determine the table number of the fixed seat. Then, before printing
the pairings, look to see if by chance WER put the person at the right
table. Most of the time that won't happen, so you Edit Matches. Unmatch the
current match for the fixed seat player and the match at the table number
corresponding to the fixed seat. Then re-enter them, but pay attention to
the order of re-entry. WER will assign the first match you re-pair to the
lower of the two table numbers, and the second match to the other one. Now
you can print the pairings and all will be well.

Dominick Riesland, aka Rabbitball
Creator of the Cosmversal Grimoire
“As soon as men decide that all means are permitted to fight an evil, then
their good becomes indistinguishable from the evil that they set out to
destroy.”
– Christopher Dawson

May 27, 2013 01:53:34 AM

Natalie Heylen
Judge (Uncertified)

BeNeLux

Game Day Situation

Originally posted by Josh Stansfield:

There's not much that can be done at that point. Suggest to the players that they confirm they have the right opponent in the future. Leave the results as they are. If the players end up unhappy, the TO may want to issue a refund or some other compensation as an apology for the confusion. If this is in any way the judge's fault, a personal apology might be in order (can't tell what caused the problem).

I agree with that solution. Maybe something that could be done in the future, or at least how I would handle it (since I'm not ready used to working with the computerprogram) is just to make the normal pairings, but to look at the opponent's name of the guy in the weelchair. Than I would announce that name, and ask to sit at the table of the guy with the wheelchair. In that case everybody has his right opponent, and you have a much better control of this unusual situation.