Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Regular REL » Post: ID and split situations.

ID and split situations.

July 5, 2018 05:03:05 AM

Pavel Zinoviev
Judge (Level 1 (Judge Academy))

Russia and Russian-speaking countries

ID and split situations.

We have the following situation:
Last round of pre-release, two players - Annie and Nathan have 9 points, all other players have 6 points or less.
Tournament runs without Top-8, prizes are awarded based on final standings.
ver.1 - Annie says to Nathan, would you like to ID and split the prizes? Nathan accepts her offer.
ver.2 - Annie says to Nathan, would you like to ID and split the prizes? Nathan refuses her offer. A judge hears this talk.
ver.3 - Annie says to Nathan, would you like to ID? Nathan accepts her offer. Annie then asks if he wants to split, and he accepts as well.

Please share your thoughts. My thoughts 1 - DQ both for bribery. 2 - DQ Annie only. 3 - everything is completely legal.

July 5, 2018 05:10:22 AM

Misha Chernov
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Academy)), TLC

USA - Southwest

ID and split situations.

ver 4. - Nathan says to Annie: “would you like to ID”? Annie accepts his offer. Nathan then asks if she wants to split, and she says “no, thanks, my standings are better!”. Nathan cries.
ver 5. - Annie says to Nathan: “would you like to split the prizes”? Nathan accepts her offer first and then offers an ID. Passing by judge applauds.

July 5, 2018 05:41:43 AM

Gareth Tanner
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Academy))

United Kingdom, Ireland, and South Africa

ID and split situations.

Ver.2 Nathan would receive the same penalty as Annie if he did not call the judge due to this line from the MTR Unless the player receiving such an offer calls for a judge
immediately, both players will be penalized in the same manner

July 5, 2018 06:33:29 AM

Pavel Zinoviev

ID and split situations.

ver.6 - Annie says to Nathan, would you like to ID? Nathan accepts her offer. Annie then asks if he wants to split, and he refuses. Then Annie says, okay no ID then.

July 5, 2018 07:42:33 AM

Maxime Emond
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Foundry))

Canada

ID and split situations.

The general rule of thumb here is to always offer the prize split and the match results in two different statement and only after the first one has been agreed to (Ver 5 is the best way). There is still a ways to go in terms of player education ESPECIALLY at a pre-release where you get a very much more casual crowd than any other regular REL event. if your crowd is mostly formed of newcomers and not so rules knowledgeable people, it may be worthwhile to make a quick announcement in the beginning of the event as to what is the correct way to offer prize splits so everyone is happy.

July 5, 2018 07:57:01 AM

Scott Marshall
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 4 (Judge Foundry)), Hall of Fame

USA - Northwest

ID and split situations.

Maxime has it right; what we actually need is this:

Version 0 (happens before any of the others) - Judge announcement about not rolling dice, revealing cards from library, offering bribes, etc. Also, “if you want to discuss an outcome or prize split, ask a judge before you say something unfortunate.”

d:^D

July 5, 2018 08:11:51 AM

Emilien Wild
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 3 (International Judge Program)), Grand Prix Head Judge

BeNeLux

ID and split situations.

And I'll go even one step before (version -1?): talk with the tournament organizer on how to have a point based prizing, so that draws always bring the average of a win and a loss, reducing vastly any incentive for Bribery.
You will still have the occasional down-pair match to keep an eye on, but delivering the personalized message suggested by Scott at their table will be far more efficient than a generic announcement.

- Emilien

July 5, 2018 08:18:57 AM

Francesco Scialpi
Judge (Level 2 (International Judge Program))

Italy and Malta

ID and split situations.

Originally posted by Emilien Wild:

And I'll go even one step before (version -1?): talk with the tournament organizer on how to have a point based prizing, so that draws always bring the average of a win and a loss, reducing vastly any incentive for Bribery.
You will still have the occasional down-pair match to keep an eye on, but delivering the personalized message suggested by Scott at their table will be far more efficient than a generic announcement.

- Emilien

For reference (look for “Bribery at PRs” paragraph):

https://blogs.magicjudges.org/whatsupdocs/2015/03/26/pr-dtk-a-judge-report-from-a-player/

July 5, 2018 08:26:41 PM

Robert Hinrichsen
Judge (Level 3 (Judge Foundry))

Canada

ID and split situations.

Originally posted by Pavel Zinoviev:

ver.6 - Annie says to Nathan, would you like to ID? Nathan accepts her offer. Annie then asks if he wants to split, and he refuses. Then Annie says, okay no ID then.

I am inclined to DQ Annie in this situation. The fact that the ID was withdrawn after Nathan refused to split proves that the initial offer of an ID was in fact contingent on a split (it just wan't explicitly stated). Essentially, by taking back the ID, Annie has admitted that she was making a contingent offer, which is prohibited. (Same if the initial accepted offer had been the split, withdrawn after the subsequent ID had been refused).

I don't think it's clear cut though. The tournament documents prohibit “offering an incentive” (per IPG 4.4) to influence a match result, as well as determining a result “in exchange for or influenced by the offer of any reward or incentive” (MTR 5.2). On one hand, I think it is certainly arguable that Nathan's decision to split would be “influenced by” Annie's ID offer once he realized it was off the table if he refused to split. On the other hand, at the time the incentive was offered, it was not known to be an incentive, and the language of “in exchange for” implies a level of contemporaneity which does not support a ruling of Bribery in an ex post facto manner.

On the whole, I think tournament integrity is better served with a DQ here, coupled with the good advice already mentioned of advising players ahead of time to steer well clear of this territory altogether (or get a judge involved if absolutely necessary).

July 5, 2018 11:26:37 PM

Pavel Zinoviev

ID and split situations.

Originally posted by Robert Hinrichsen:

Originally posted by Pavel Zinoviev:

I am inclined to DQ Annie in this situation. The fact that the ID was withdrawn after Nathan refused to split proves that the initial offer of an ID was in fact contingent on a split (it just wan't explicitly stated). Essentially, by taking back the ID, Annie has admitted that she was making a contingent offer, which is prohibited. (Same if the initial accepted offer had been the split, withdrawn after the subsequent ID had been refused).

I don't think it's clear cut though. The tournament documents prohibit “offering an incentive” (per IPG 4.4) to influence a match result, as well as determining a result “in exchange for or influenced by the offer of any reward or incentive” (MTR 5.2). On one hand, I think it is certainly arguable that Nathan's decision to split would be “influenced by” Annie's ID offer once he realized it was off the table if he refused to split. On the other hand, at the time the incentive was offered, it was not known to be an incentive, and the language of “in exchange for” implies a level of contemporaneity which does not support a ruling of Bribery in an ex post facto manner.

On the whole, I think tournament integrity is better served with a DQ here, coupled with the good advice already mentioned of advising players ahead of time to steer well clear of this territory altogether (or get a judge involved if absolutely necessary).
Yes thats correct. I wonder if we should punish Nathan as well if he didnt call the judge and started playing after that.