Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Judging Technology » Post: WER not recognizing DCI number

WER not recognizing DCI number

Sept. 2, 2018 02:27:29 AM

Brecht Van Reusel
Judge (Level 1 (Judge Academy))

BeNeLux

For our FNM, we frequently get error messages when entering a DCI number. Last FNM, I had to register everything on a new account on the computer, and 50% of the players gave an error message, many of them are frequent players, some of them say they get that frequently. I filled in names seperately every time, like I do with new dci numbers.
What is causing this? how can this be solved?

Sept. 2, 2018 06:42:37 AM

Christian Genz
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Academy)), Scorekeeper

United Kingdom, Ireland, and South Africa

depending on what the error message is. If it is “DCI number can not be found” then the problem is with the players that they didn't activate their account online correctly.

Sept. 2, 2018 08:36:01 AM

Jordan Baker
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Foundry)), Scorekeeper

USA - North

“DCI Number Not Found” is a normal error, and it should let you proceed with entering the player information. This error is saying “I can't find a Wizards Account associated to the DCI#, but the number itself is valid.” If, instead, you're getting “Invalid DCI Number” errors, then that is because their DCI# is not a valid one. (the number they gave is not the number they were assigned initially) There are circumstances where their DCI# could've been in the old computer this way, but that's a more-complicated explanation than is suitable for here.

So, this could be an opportunity to let these players know that they can help you out, by having an active Wizards Account.

Some additional information/resources:

- "DCI Number Expansion“ (explanations on what DCI#s are composed of, and what the different error messages represent)

- ”Help Me Help You" (a player-centric explanation of how Wizards Accounts are useful)

Sept. 3, 2018 05:30:46 PM

Brecht Van Reusel

BeNeLux

thank you very much

Sept. 3, 2018 07:39:57 PM

Philip Böhm
Judge (Uncertified), Tournament Organizer

German-speaking countries

The error will not appear if the DCI number is either registered online or the player is in the local players database (saved on the computer locally, not online). Some WER updates smash that local players database into pieces however.

My best advise is to encourage players to create a wizards account. Afterall, it has many advantages:
They can see their achievements, their history of playing, track their progress and track statistics.

Sept. 4, 2018 04:36:30 AM

Jordan Edwards

USA - Northwest

I have a thumb drive with our local player database backed up on it, which I try to update once a month. As Philip mention, some WER updates end up wrecking the local players, as well as computers fail, or become broken from an accident. Being able to import it to a new computer is very useful, since a lot of players will not register their account online even though it is often recommended. We also save DCI numbers on our POS system, but that is a bit more tedious when it comes to starting a new computer with WER.

Edited Jordan Edwards (Sept. 4, 2018 04:37:00 AM)

Sept. 25, 2018 08:48:31 AM

Brecht Van Reusel

BeNeLux

Convincing everyone to do that is not realistic.
Everything I say at the beginning of a friday night will be forgotten. Plus, most of them ‘think’ they already did that.

So what I do is enter the DCI number + name again. But what is the consequence of that? What if I make a mistake in the name?

Sept. 25, 2018 09:08:09 AM

Jordan Baker
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Foundry)), Scorekeeper

USA - North

From a reporting perspective, only the DCI# is sent back to Wizards, so if the name is misspelled, it will be stored in the computer's local player database that way, but it will not cause a future problem. (outside of the name continuing to be misspelled when that player plays again, until it is fixed in the local player database)

From a practical perspective, we have to deal with a variant of this problem at almost every Grand Prix, due to some complexities with how byes are internally-awarded via Planeswalker Points. When I have the bandwidth at an event, I will track the affected players (roughly 0.5% of the field) and give them this leaflet during the event. A similarly-written leaflet may work for some players, though admittedly, there are fewer incentives for a player at the FNM level, compared to the GP level. (“Do this, or else at a future GP, you may not get your byes!”) Your main “carrot” would likely be that your name can be looked up, so there will not be future issues with your name being misspelled, or your DCI# being accidentally-entered incorrectly. (“…meaning you won't get your planeswalker points for this event!”)