Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Competitive REL » Post: GPE spotted immediately

GPE spotted immediately

Oct. 2, 2018 08:23:41 PM [Original Post]

Mikaël Rabie
Judge (Level 3 (International Judge Program)), Scorekeeper

France

GPE spotted immediately

I have a question about the new takeback policy. I wonder if it has a direct impact on when to give a GPE Warning. A player makes a mistake, notices it by themselves immediately and call a judge (or opponent calls a judge). Can we see that change as an official guideline on the scenario not to give any warning? I am talking about a scenario where the player is the one who spotted the mistake, and no action nor information was received before the mistake got caught.

Jan. 14, 2019 03:20:49 AM [Marked as Accepted Answer]

Scott Marshall
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 4 (Judge Foundry)), Hall of Fame

USA - Northwest

GPE spotted immediately

Sorry, sorry, so sorry!!! This just completely slipped through the cracks, after a slight delay in getting to an ‘O’fficial answer.

And that answer is: yes, you can “takeback” your way out of a GRV.

As one Policy team member put it: “Who would ever call you on that?” I had to remind them that there are, apparently, many crusty, grumpy opponents who want every edge the judges can give them. :'(

Let's hope that there aren't also a platoon of trigger-happy judges who want to jump in and assess a GRV for the action that was taken back!

d:^D

Oct. 3, 2018 04:12:17 AM

David Lachance-Poitras
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Foundry))

Canada

GPE spotted immediately

Interesting case. Am interested to hear an O answer on this one.

Edited :
I personally think the takeback policy should not apply to that situation since an illegal play happened and got caught/called. But at the same time, if the AP caught his own mistake and no information was gained,, a takeback could theorically be performed without any impact on the organic state of the game..

Let's wait for the official answer :)

Edited David Lachance-Poitras (Oct. 3, 2018 08:37:25 PM)

Oct. 3, 2018 04:37:28 PM

Tim Boura
Judge (Level 1 (Judge Academy))

United Kingdom, Ireland, and South Africa

GPE spotted immediately

So you mean:

• AP: “I point this removal spell at that creature.”
  • AP: “Oh wait, it has hexproof.”
  • AP: “Judge!”

It seems like the key fact here is that the player noticed their own mistake and did so immediately.

On the other hand

• AP: “I point this removal spell at that creature.”
  • NAP: “It has hexproof.”
  • NAP: “Judge!”

This is a different situation where the person making the mistake was not the one to point it out.

Or did you mean something else?

I'd also be interested to hear the official position on this area.

Edited Tim Boura (Oct. 3, 2018 04:41:26 PM)

Oct. 3, 2018 04:51:10 PM

Mikaël Rabie
Judge (Level 3 (International Judge Program)), Scorekeeper

France

GPE spotted immediately

Exactly Tim, my question is for the first scenario. For the second one, I do not see a reason it should not be a GPE Warning.

Oct. 3, 2018 09:24:59 PM

Scott Marshall
Forum Moderator

USA - Northwest

GPE spotted immediately

Request for ‘O’ acknowledged, and in progress.

Jan. 14, 2019 03:20:49 AM [Marked as Accepted Answer]

Scott Marshall
Forum Moderator

USA - Northwest

GPE spotted immediately

Sorry, sorry, so sorry!!! This just completely slipped through the cracks, after a slight delay in getting to an ‘O’fficial answer.

And that answer is: yes, you can “takeback” your way out of a GRV.

As one Policy team member put it: “Who would ever call you on that?” I had to remind them that there are, apparently, many crusty, grumpy opponents who want every edge the judges can give them. :'(

Let's hope that there aren't also a platoon of trigger-happy judges who want to jump in and assess a GRV for the action that was taken back!

d:^D