Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Competitive REL » Post: What constitutes a mulligan?

What constitutes a mulligan?

Nov. 16, 2018 09:42:00 AM

Karl Simmons
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Academy))

USA - Great Lakes

This happened at a mock tournament, and there were disagreements among the judges present.

Aaron mulligans to 6, decides to keep, then scries 1, putting it on the bottom of his library. Nile has kept his 7. Aaron changes his mind, and says “actually, I'm gonna mulligan,” and a judge is called over before Aaron's mixes his hand and library.

Since no damage had been caused to the game, I ruled no infraction had been committed, and Aaron simply had to keep his 6, since he had scried already. Another judge argued that this fits the definition of Mulligan Procedure Error, because declaring intent to mulligan is taking a mulligan, even if physical action to act upon that intent has not been taken.

Example C under Mulligan Procedure Error explains: “A player keeps their hand, scries, then mulligans again.”

So the question is simply what does it mean to mulligan. Is a mulligan a series of physical actions, or does a declared intention constitute a mulligan?

From the comprehensive rules: 103.4. "Each player draws a number of cards equal to their starting hand size, which is normally seven. (Some effects can modify a player’s starting hand size.) A player who is dissatisfied with their initial hand may take a mulligan. First, the starting player declares whether they will take a mulligan. Then each other player in turn order does the same. Once each player has made a declaration, all players who decided to take mulligans do so at the same time. To take a mulligan, a player shuffles their hand back into their library, then draws a new hand of one fewer cards than they had before. If a player kept their hand of cards, those cards become the player’s opening hand, and that player may not take any further mulligans. This process is then repeated until no player takes a mulligan. (Note that if a player’s hand size reaches zero cards, that player must keep that hand.) After all players have kept an opening hand, each player in turn order whose hand contains fewer cards than that player’s starting hand size may look at the top card of their library. If a player does, that player may put that card on the bottom of their library."

I've bolded the text which I believe supports my position, but I'd like to hear more from a differing perspective.

Nov. 16, 2018 10:14:09 AM

Scott Marshall
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 4 (Judge Foundry)), Hall of Fame

USA - Northwest

Sorry, I'm not going to offer a differing perspective - because you're correct. Also, I'm glad that Nile was able to stop Aaron before he committed a Mulligan Procedure Error.

d:^D