Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Regular REL » Post: Judge on call.

Judge on call.

Jan. 29, 2019 02:32:45 AM

Tommy Lee
Judge (Level 1 (Judge Foundry))

USA - North

Judge on call.

Looking for some insight:

This past Saturday there was a win a box Regular Rel event that I was playing in. While playing I kept getting judge calls. ( i was not listed as a judge for the event, but I am the only judge at my LGS )

I found myself getting called over and over and having to leave in the middle of my games, which threw me off my game and really affected my play when I got back to my match. It also annoyed my opponent who kept having to wait for me.

16 players and around 9 calls in a 4 round event.

I love helping players, but I also pay to play, so at what point do we say “I am playing tonight, if you have a call, see if you can figure it out, if not ill be over after my match and give you an extension”

I just am looking to see what other judges do when paying to play at their local LGS.

Edited Tommy Lee (Jan. 29, 2019 02:33:55 AM)

Jan. 29, 2019 03:08:02 AM

Travis van Rooyen
Judge (Level 1 (Judge Academy))

USA - Great Lakes

Judge on call.

I usually explain to my opponent I am a judge and need to go take a call
and in my experience they have been mostly okay with it.
In your circumstance I would suggest talking to the t.o. about being listed
as head judge and recieving some kind of compensation. Even if it is
something as little as free entry to the event. So at least that solves
your pay to play problem.
Regarding when you should take your calls, I would stick by doing them
sooner than later. Perhaps having them wait until the current turn ends at
least. However I feel it is important to continue as many games as magic as
we can. Better to have one time extension than several.

On Mon, Jan 28, 2019, 9:37 AM Tommy Lee <

Jan. 29, 2019 03:40:03 AM

John Brian McCarthy
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 5 (Judge Foundry)), Grand Prix Head Judge

USA - Midatlantic

Judge on call.

Originally posted by Travis van Rooyen:

In your circumstance I would suggest talking to the t.o. about being listed as head judge and recieving some kind of compensation. Even if it is something as little as free entry to the event. So at least that solves your pay to play problem.

Travis makes a great suggestion here. Ultimately, this is a conversation between you and your TO - there's no obligation for you to take calls just because you're a certified judge, only if you're hired as a judge for that event (in fact, there's also no obligation for players to adhere to your rulings if you're not empowered by the TO as a judge for the event…).

One key thing to consider when discussing this with the TO is whether you have an obligation to show up. If you'd stayed home and watched Netflix, who would take those calls? If the answer is “Whoever is working the register, and they don't know anything about Magic,” the TO should be paying you enough to add this obligation to your schedule. If the answer is “The TO would deputize another experienced player who volunteered, and it would be fine,” then maybe the TO doesn't need to pay you and you don't need to take calls if they'd be disruptive to your match.

Regardless, your duty to answer calls stems from your role at the event, not your certification. As Travis suggested, talk with the TO to clarify your role at the event and the compensation that comes with those expectations. I'd recommend talking with folks in your local Slack to see what the going rate is for judges in your area for play-and-judge situations like this one.

Jan. 29, 2019 04:02:00 AM

Mark Mc Govern
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Academy)), TLC

United Kingdom, Ireland, and South Africa

Judge on call.

And one thing you can do, should you end up more formally assuming the role of Head Judge at these events, is make sure the players understand. Make an announcement as the event starts that, if anyone has any questions, to call you over and you'll be sure to be there as soon as possible, but to bear in mind that you may take you a moment to leave your own match (e.g. if it's the middle of a tricky combat). And also ask the players to have patience with you if they happen to be YOUR opponent when you get called away, but that you'll ensure there's an appropriate time extension to cover the time you were away, plus the time needed for both of you to mentally readjust from Judge back to Player mode.

A lot of the above comes down to managing expectations - in your current scenario, people expect to be able to sit down and play a match with you uninterrupted. So when it gets interrupted it's against their expectations, and can cause friction. However if you set up their expectations that you are doing your best for the event as a whole, and hence may have to step away, then when it happens it won't go against their expectations, and so won't cause as much friction.

Jan. 29, 2019 04:02:04 AM

Giovanni Zaninelli
Judge (Level 1 (International Judge Program))

Italy and Malta

Judge on call.

I'm judging and playng in Regular events and pre-realeses without any problem. At the start of the tournament I usually announce when I'm doing both, so my opponents know that I may have to pause the game to answer a call.
Luckly, all my calls where just a few rule question, nothing too complicate, and all my opponents were reasonable.

I belive that if you haven't listed as judge for that event, your priority should be finish your game, especially if your opponents are annoyed by the calls (which I find quite foolish….but what can you do?) or if you feel that pausing those games affects your play.

In the end, it's just a matter of which priority you choose: playng and improve, or help other players first. The only thing I could suggest is to be straight clear at the start of the event by sayng how you will act when someone has a rule question.

Jan. 29, 2019 04:32:59 AM

Emilien Wild
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 3 (International Judge Program)), Grand Prix Head Judge

BeNeLux

Judge on call.

I'd also like to remind you that there is a HJ to every sanctionned event:
Sanctioned tournaments require the physical presence of a Head Judge during play to adjudicate disputes, interpret rules, and make other official decisions.
MTR 1.7 Head Judge

If you're not registred as a judge for this event, that means that someone else is the HJ. That's this person responsability, not your, to make sure every call is covered. That's another topic you might want to cover with your TO.

- Emilien

Jan. 29, 2019 07:49:12 AM

Nathaniel Graham
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Academy)), Scorekeeper, Tournament Organizer

USA - Central

Judge on call.

Originally posted by John Brian McCarthy:

Travis makes a great suggestion here. Ultimately, this is a conversation between you and your TO - there's no obligation for you to take calls just because you're a certified judge, only if you're hired as a judge for that event (in fact, there's also no obligation for players to adhere to your rulings if you're not empowered by the TO as a judge for the event…).

One key thing to consider when discussing this with the TO is whether you have an obligation to show up. If you'd stayed home and watched Netflix, who would take those calls? If the answer is “Whoever is working the register, and they don't know anything about Magic,” the TO should be paying you enough to add this obligation to your schedule. If the answer is “The TO would deputize another experienced player who volunteered, and it would be fine,” then maybe the TO doesn't need to pay you and you don't need to take calls if they'd be disruptive to your match.

Regardless, your duty to answer calls stems from your role at the event, not your certification. As Travis suggested, talk with the TO to clarify your role at the event and the compensation that comes with those expectations. I'd recommend talking with folks in your local Slack to see what the going rate is for judges in your area for play-and-judge situations like this one.

As a judge, TO, and store owner… this. So much this.

Feb. 1, 2019 02:49:54 AM

Tommy Lee
Judge (Level 1 (Judge Foundry))

USA - North

Judge on call.

Thank you all for the advice!

Mr McCarthy I am going to take your advice as I have worked on comp rel events for this TO. The rate would not be the same, but I agree that there should be something done different.

Edited Tommy Lee (Feb. 1, 2019 02:55:03 AM)

Feb. 2, 2019 06:07:05 AM

Maxime Emond
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Foundry))

Canada

Judge on call.

Something I have personally done for a few LGS around my area (especially for pre-release), is that i would agree to handle all judge related issue for a tournament, including guiding new players through the mecanics etc etc, and in return i get to play for free in the event. This seems to be a deal that most TO seems to agree on, and a good way to play and judge at an event.