Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Competitive REL » Post: Premier Events and TO discretion (O request)

Premier Events and TO discretion (O request)

March 21, 2019 09:49:29 AM

Robert Hinrichsen
Judge (Level 3 (Judge Foundry))

Canada

How much latitude do TOs who run Premier events have to set tournament policy beyond what is specified in the MTR? Is it a case of whatever is not specified as allowed is forbidden, or rather whatever is not specified as prohibited is permitted?

My specific question is whether a TO who has been granted a MCQ (a Premier event under the MTR) could implement a rule that players must submit decklists online no later than the night before. This does not appear to be prohibited by the MTR, but neither is it specifically permitted. I have advised the TO to ask their contact at WotC, but I wanted to request an (O) answer here for the benefit of others who might have the same question.

March 21, 2019 10:02:03 AM

Scott Marshall
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 4 (Judge Foundry)), Hall of Fame

USA - Northwest

The TO's WPN contact will be the source of the ‘O’ answer.

Note that, for Grand Prix events, online decklist submission ends at 9:00am on the Saturday of the GP, although many lists are submitted earlier. This is a reasonable precedent to follow - and, because players will be accustomed to submitting paper lists in person, as well as some who know about that 9am deadline for GPs, it would not be good customer service to impose a deadline of the night before. It would be harsh to penalize players (Tardiness, Game Loss) who didn't realize they needed to submit, electronically, the night before - especially if they've never experienced that policy before. Further, (almost?) every GP has seen players submit online, then want to submit a more current list by 9am (or during the player meeting); perhaps they couldn't find the last few cards they needed, and had to change their deck - and allowing for that possibility is another example of good customer service.

Still, whatever answer a TO receives from their WPN rep will absolutely overrule my Opinion, and be ‘O’fficial. I just wanted to elaborate on why I think it's not a good idea.

d:^D

March 21, 2019 01:56:36 PM

Robert Hinrichsen
Judge (Level 3 (Judge Foundry))

Canada

Originally posted by Scott Marshall:

Still, whatever answer a TO receives from their WPN rep will absolutely overrule my Opinion, and be ‘O’fficial. I just wanted to elaborate on why I think it's not a good idea.

I understand, thanks for the prompt reply Scott. I think you raise some good points about not frustrating player expectations, and I'll be sure to discuss this with the TO about changing it to Saturday if they are still interested in pursuing that route (and if WotC gives the OK).

Would it be helpful for me to post WotC's answer here when the TO gets it? I understand that you might prefer not to have (O) information coming through a third party.