Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Competitive REL » Post: Ugin, the Ineffable -"I block one of them"

Ugin, the Ineffable -"I block one of them"

May 10, 2019 08:01:25 AM [Original Post]

Andrzej Placety
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Academy))

Europe - Central

Aniki is playing against Nikolai. Aniki controls Ugin, the Ineffable and three spirit tokens. The face down exiled cards are two Swamps and Liliana, Dreadhorde General. Nikolai controls a zombie army token with 5 counters on it.
Aniki attacks with all of the tokens and Nikolai says “Block one of them” To which Aniki responds by removing from the battlefield thes spirit token with Liliana exiled and puts Liliana into his hand. The players continue playing as normal but before Nikolaj draws a card for his turn a spectator halts the game and calls a judge stating that a player gained advantage unfairly by picking the card to put in his hand. What is the appropriate action in such situation?

Personally I think that there was no infraction and a penalty should not be issued, but I am not certain.

May 10, 2019 03:22:41 PM [Marked as Accepted Answer]

Scott Marshall
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 4 (Judge Foundry)), Hall of Fame

USA - Northwest

Originally posted by Francesco Scialpi/Kevin Desprez:

“When two identical permanents are on the battlefield and there are non-visible differences between them, if a player needs to know which is which, they need to ask for clarification.”
Was this philosophy(!) ever added to an actual policy document? If not, can we require players to comply with what is, essentially, Very Good Advice?

Originally posted by David Murray:

My interpretation of {CR 509.1a} is the defending player has to choose a specific creature to block.
I don't agree with that interpretation; the wording is “the defending player chooses one creature for it to block”, and they fulfilled that requirement.

The issue isn't with undocumented “policy”, nor with CR 509.1a, it's simply a matter of poor communication.

AP should have clarified which token was blocked;
NAP could have been more specific;
NAP didn't object to AP's assumption of which one was blocked.

The fact that a spectator objected to something that AP and NAP were OK with, brings to mind this phrase from the IPG:
If the players are playing in a way that is clear to both players, but might cause confusion to an external observer, judges are encouraged to request that the players make the situation clear, but not assess an infraction or issue any penalty.

No infraction, no penalty, no backing up, etc., etc. Just point out to NAP that they should be more specific, and to AP that they probably shouldn't assume - but, from NAP's perspective, they couldn't know which token was best or worst for them to kill.

d:^D

May 10, 2019 09:10:08 AM

Norman Ralph
Judge (Level 2 (UK Magic Officials)), Scorekeeper, Tournament Organizer

United Kingdom, Ireland, and South Africa

I agree that there is no infraction here. Aniki has no obligation to help their opponent make good choices and whilst I might encourage players to communicate better and be more specific with their blocks in the future, there is nothing wrong occurring here.

EDIT:

On reflection and discussion on my regional Discord, I think that this is technically a GRV on behalf of NAP. However, I think a reasonable interpretation is that NAP has effectively given the choice of blocks to AP. This is one of those cases where a usually unenforced penalty for breaking a rule where investigation and context might lead to a different outcome.

Edited Norman Ralph (May 10, 2019 10:06:21 AM)

May 10, 2019 10:10:29 AM

David Murray

Personally I think CR 509.1a has been broken here, and GRV for the blocking player and FTMGS for the attacking player is appropriate. No backup and leave game state as is, because imho the backup is horrific.

In addition, if the attacking player intentionally did this knowing it was illegal, there is potential for a cheating DQ, however I'd likely not go down that path as the attacking player likely thought they were allowed to choose which was blocked in this scenario.

May 10, 2019 10:15:52 AM

Daniel Lee
Judge (Level 5 (Judge Foundry))

USA - Southwest

No infraction. By not specifying which one they blocked, N has given up potential advantage and that’s not against the rules. Their mistake is its own penalty. This is a relatively common shortcut and I don’t think we need to be infracting N or A here.

Edited Daniel Lee (May 10, 2019 10:16:19 AM)

May 10, 2019 10:17:47 AM

Johannes Wagner
Judge (Level 2 (International Judge Program))

German-speaking countries

Why create a problem, where there is none?

May 10, 2019 10:35:30 AM

David Murray

Originally posted by Daniel Lee:

that’s not against the rules
Originally posted by CR 509.1a:

…the defending player chooses one creature for it to block…
My interpretation of this is the defending player has to choose a specific creature to block.

Originally posted by Daniel Lee:

This is a relatively common shortcut
If it's 3x Grizzly Bears attacking, yes I'm fine with this shortcut and we don't need to do anything. But in this case the spirit tokens have linked triggered abilities that are linked to separate exiled cards that the attacking player knows the identity of, so the blocking player should specify the block clearly as it has an impact on where the game state ends up.

Originally posted by Johannes Wagner:

Why create a problem, where there is none?
In theory, hypothetically:
- The attacking player knows the defending player specifically has to choose which creature they block
- The attacking player knows that when they didn't specify, they should clarify or call a judge
- The attacking player intentionally choose the Liliana token in order to gain an advantage, knowing this was technically illegal
If all these were true, it'd be a cheating DQ. However, as I stated above I suspect the attacking player thinks what they are doing is ok, in that case I'd like to educate and reinforce it's not ok via warnings.

May 10, 2019 11:35:09 AM

Francesco Scialpi

Italy and Malta

1) https://blogs.magicjudges.org/whatsupdocs/2016/04/11/official-handling-identical-permanents-with-non-visual-differences/

“When two identical permanents are on the battlefield and there are non-visible differences between them, if a player needs to know which is which, they need to ask for clarification.”

2) Aniki controls two Grizzly Bears, one of them has an invisible +3/+3 (say, a Giant Growth cast before other ten or so spells, so it's sound that Nikolai forgot about it).

Aniki attacks with both Grizzly Bears.
Nikolai: “Block one of them with my 4/4”.
Aniki: “Ok … you blocked the pumped one, please bury your 4/4”.

Would you let Aniki away with that?

With respect to the original scenario, my opinion is that Aniki has the obligation to ask “which one?”, and Nikolai should choose - maybe at random, but he should choose.

Edited Francesco Scialpi (May 10, 2019 11:38:55 AM)

May 10, 2019 12:30:32 PM

Johannes Wagner

German-speaking countries

In theory, hypothetically:
- The attacking player knows the defending player specifically has to choose which creature they block
- The attacking player knows that when they didn't specify, they should clarify or call a judge
- The attacking player intentionally choose the Liliana token in order to gain an advantage, knowing this was technically illegal

The defending player has to tell which one he's blocking, but he gives the choice which one he's blocking to his opponent. So what is the problem here?

Did he make an illegal block? No. -> No Infraction
Did he make the best possible block for him? Yes. Is this an infraction? No.

As always on judgeapps, it took 2 answers to be at the DQ…

Edited Johannes Wagner (May 10, 2019 12:36:13 PM)

May 10, 2019 12:34:21 PM

Andrew Villarrubia
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Foundry))

USA - South

Originally posted by Francesco Scialpi:

2) Aniki controls two Grizzly Bears, one of them has an invisible +3/+3 (say, a Giant Growth cast before other ten or so spells, so it's sound that Nikolai forgot about it).

Aniki attacks with both Grizzly Bears.
Nikolai: “Block one of them with my 4/4”.
Aniki: “Ok … you blocked the pumped one, please bury your 4/4”.

Would you let Aniki away with that?
No, but it's also not the same situation as presented in this thread.

As far as Nikolai is concerned, there is no difference between the attackers. They're all 2/2s linked to blank pieces of cardboard. If he really truly wanted to make a decision about which to block, well, he could have.

May 10, 2019 12:45:28 PM

Norman Ralph
Judge (Level 2 (UK Magic Officials)), Scorekeeper, Tournament Organizer

Originally posted by Francesco Scialpi:

1) https://blogs.magicjudges.org/whatsupdocs/2016/04/11/official-handling-identical-permanents-with-non-visual-differences/

With respect to the original scenario, my opinion is that Aniki has the obligation to ask “which one?”, and Nikolai should choose - maybe at random, but he should choose.

I agree that in an ideal world this is how these interactions should happen but are you penalising this with a Warning and a potential back up?

May 10, 2019 03:22:41 PM [Marked as Accepted Answer]

Scott Marshall
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 4 (Judge Foundry)), Hall of Fame

USA - Northwest

Originally posted by Francesco Scialpi/Kevin Desprez:

Was this philosophy(!) ever added to an actual policy document? If not, can we require players to comply with what is, essentially, Very Good Advice?

My interpretation of {CR 509.1a} is the defending player has to choose a specific creature to block.
I don't agree with that interpretation; the wording is “the defending player chooses one creature for it to block”, and they fulfilled that requirement.

The issue isn't with undocumented “policy”, nor with CR 509.1a, it's simply a matter of poor communication.

AP should have clarified which token was blocked;
NAP could have been more specific;
NAP didn't object to AP's assumption of which one was blocked.

The fact that a spectator objected to something that AP and NAP were OK with, brings to mind this phrase from the IPG:
If the players are playing in a way that is clear to both players, but might cause confusion to an external observer, judges are encouraged to request that the players make the situation clear, but not assess an infraction or issue any penalty.

No infraction, no penalty, no backing up, etc., etc. Just point out to NAP that they should be more specific, and to AP that they probably shouldn't assume - but, from NAP's perspective, they couldn't know which token was best or worst for them to kill.

d:^D

May 10, 2019 04:23:18 PM

Milan Majerčík
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Academy)), Scorekeeper

Europe - Central

Hi,

This is a very interesting situation. Would you be so kind let me know whether I understand the solution and philosophy presented by Scott?

MtG is known as a game of skill (and a bit of randomness). Do I understand it correctly that we judges take this action performed by the active player as a demonstration of skill level superior to the nonactive player? From the description of the scenario, it looks like the nonactive player is not aware of the importance of the decision and lets the active player select the card they need the most from those three (in this case changing the probability of getting Liliana from 33% to 100%).