Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Competitive REL » Post: Cheating or good play?

Cheating or good play?

May 16, 2019 11:17:20 AM [Original Post]

Hugo Abraham Peña Ramírez
Judge (Level 1 (Judge Academy))

Hispanic America - North

Cheating or good play?

Hi everyone, last weekend I had the opportunity to be on my first MCQ in Guadalajara. Everything went well but I'm having doubts about one rulling that I made.

Nora plays Radical Idea at the end of Antonio's turn, in response Antonio plays Chemister's Insight drawing two cards.
They both end Antonio's turn. Nora starts her upkeep and Eddie (external player) calls a judge because Nora didn't draw her card for the Radcal Idea, nothing else happened at that point so I allowed Nora to draw an extra card.
Antonio asks me to take Eddie away from the game so the game continues without interruptions.
Everything good so far.

I talked to a more experienced judge in the event about this scenario a few minutes later, he told me that I should have made a little investigation to check if Antonio knew Nora missed the draw and get advantage of it. If that was the case, we should issue a DQ for unsporting conduct - cheating.

Could you please share some thoughts and experience on this kind of situations?

Thank you.

Edited Hugo Abraham Peña Ramírez (May 16, 2019 11:17:39 AM)

May 16, 2019 11:47:15 AM [Marked as Accepted Answer]

Mark Mc Govern
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Academy)), TLC

United Kingdom, Ireland, and South Africa

Cheating or good play?

Some general thoughts:
Every judge call should involve some amount of investigation. Simply saying “So - tell me what happened” is actually an investigation, and the answer you get may convince you that it's a simple error that you can apply the IPG to. Sometimes you may not immediately be sure, but after you ask one or two simple questions, you'll know it's ok. And sometimes, you'll get a feeling that something strange might be happening, and you'll ask more questions and/or involve another judge to assist.

You're always investigating, but 99% of the time you're investigating “to find out what happened” and maybe 1% it's to “find out if someone cheated” (percentages picked at random).

In this particular case, if a player asks me to remove a spectator (especially after the spectator correctly called a judge to fix an error), it's going to set off some alarm bells. There are plenty of reasons Antonio might want Eddie removed:
- Eddie is being noisy
- Eddie is a friend of Nora and/or is speaking to Nora in a language Antonio doesn't understand
- Antonio is uncomfortable in crowds and prefers not to have people too close
- Antonio believed that it was ok to let Nora forget to draw, and is annoyed at Eddie for removing the advantage he thought he was entitled to
- Antonio knew he was cheating and would have gotten away with it if Eddie hadn't stepped in

Lots of reasons - some perfectly fine, and some not so fine. Your concern is the last option I suspect, and I share that concern. Eddie was correct to stop the game and call a judge. While Antonio is entitled to ask us to remove spectators, I'd want to ask Antonio “why” and see where the conversation goes from there.

May 16, 2019 11:50:03 AM

Eric Paré
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Foundry))

Canada

Cheating or good play?

Originally posted by Hugo Abraham Peña Ramírez:

Antonio asks me to take Eddie away from the game

This is where I would start with the investigation - Ask Antonio why he doesn't want Eddie to observe his game. Spectators at competitive REL are, after all, allowed by the rules to stand near tables and call judges. This request indeed makes Antonio suspicious.

If you want to determine if Antonio cheated by making Nora forget about her card draw and not calling out the mistake, you can ask Antonio why he played Chemister's Insight during his own end step in response to the Radical Idea. A player casting an instant card in a blue deck during their own turn is unusual to see at a tournament. I would also look into Antonio's play history with Nora (and his previous opponents if possible) to see if this was the first time he played Chemister's Insight during his own turn in response to an opponent's spell.

You can also look into what happened after Chemister's Insight was cast. Did Antonio say or do anything that misdirected Nora and caused her to forget about her Radical Idea on the stack? If that's the case, Eddie may have observed that and could give you details. :)

May 16, 2019 11:58:07 AM

Ricardo Ruiz
Judge (Uncertified)

Hispanic America - South

Cheating or good play?

For me this is somewhere in between good strategy and cheating, i’ll explain.

When the board gets complicated or the quantity of the spells and abilities in the stack are many it is normal for players to do things or add spells or abilities to the stack that don’t do much just for the sake of distracting the opponent so the opponent miss something. If the missing part, it’s just an interaction or a play or a way out of the situation we end up with good strategy
But in the cases that the player is doing this so the opponent don’t finish the resolution of a spell or misses a trigger or don’t do something that is mandatory (clean up) and said player don’t mention it then clearly we have a cheater cause they did it just so the opponent make and error and to take advantage of it, especially if like in this case the missing part was the resolution of a spell casted

As a player we do this all the time, like looting (draw, discard) knowing that we don’t have something to draw that helps, or playing spells in times that seems odds. The difference is in what we hope to get out of it.

May 16, 2019 12:21:07 PM

Hugo Abraham Peña Ramírez
Judge (Level 1 (Judge Academy))

Hispanic America - North

Cheating or good play?

Originally posted by Mark Mc Govern:

- Eddie is being noisy
- Eddie is a friend of Nora and/or is speaking to Nora in a language Antonio doesn't understand
- Antonio is uncomfortable in crowds and prefers not to have people too close
- Antonio believed that it was ok to let Nora forget to draw, and is annoyed at Eddie for removing the advantage he thought he was entitled to
- Antonio knew he was cheating and would have gotten away with it if Eddie hadn't stepped in
As far as I know, Eddie was quiet until that point, he wasn't known by any of the players and all of them speak spanish. I know Antonio from a LGS and he doesn't have a record of cheating, but he gets a little nervous in crowds, that doesn't mean that I shouldn't invesigate, thoug.

Originally posted by Eric Paré:

u can ask Antonio why he played Chemister's Insight during his own end step in response to the Radical Idea
Antonio was playing izzet drakes while Nora was playing control. She tapped all her mana, so I suspected he played Chemister's just to avoid a possible counter.

I should pay more attention on these cases and allwas ask even if the situation is pretty clear.
Thank you all for the insight!

Edited Hugo Abraham Peña Ramírez (May 16, 2019 12:21:22 PM)

May 17, 2019 02:05:37 PM

David Hibbs
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 3 (Judge Foundry))

USA - South

Cheating or good play?

I want to first comment on the title here. “Cheating or good play?”

First off, this is absolutely NOT good play. Nothing about this is good play. Note that this is distinctly different from a missed trigger. We allow players to miss many triggers, but this is not a trigger. Missing the card draw for Radical Idea is not possible–it is the effect of the spell. If Radical Idea was not countered and the card is not drawn, the spell was not resolved properly. That's AT LEAST in the bucket of play mistakes and means players should receive GRV/FtMGS.

Now, was it cheating? This is much more interesting. There are 3 components to cheating:
1) Something illegal happened and the player noticed it
2) The player must be trying to gain advantage through their action (or inaction)
3) The player knew that their action was illegal.

I like to tell judges that cheating is like a 3-legged stool. If even one of these is not met, the stool falls over and it is not cheating.

Pretty clearly Nora wanted to draw a card, so not drawing does not meet #2 and Nora is in the clear.

Did Antonio notice the issue? When? Was it before or after the spectator said something? If they noticed when it happened, then #1 is met. Antonio did not point out the card was not drawn. Was that intentional, or was it that they really didn't notice it? You have to investigate to find that out, and Mark makes some good points here.

If you think it was intentional, then you have to answer point 3: Did Antonio know that not pointing it out was illegal? Maybe they thought the draw was a trigger for some reason, or thought that like a trigger they did not have to point it out. Newer players have an easier time convincing me of this, but someone who is a grinder has a harder time because they should know better.

If you are satisfied that all 3 of these are stable… then you have cheating.

May 20, 2019 07:56:39 AM

Thomas Ralph
Judge (Level 3 (UK Magic Officials)), Scorekeeper

United Kingdom, Ireland, and South Africa

Cheating or good play?

Originally posted by Eric Paré:

Originally posted by Hugo Abraham Peña Ramírez:

Antonio asks me to take Eddie away from the game

This is where I would start with the investigation - Ask Antonio why he doesn't want Eddie to observe his game. Spectators at competitive REL are, after all, allowed by the rules to stand near tables and call judges. This request indeed makes Antonio suspicious.

Actually, MTR1.11 gives players the specific right to request that a spectator not observe their match.

May 21, 2019 01:05:23 PM

Isaac King
Judge (Uncertified)

Barriere, Canada

Cheating or good play?

Originally posted by Thomas Ralph:

Actually, MTR1.11 gives players the specific right to request that a spectator not observe their match.

Yes, but it's still a good line of investigation if we suspect that the player was Cheating.

May 24, 2019 04:45:51 PM

Patrick Green
Judge (Uncertified)

USA - Great Lakes

Cheating or good play?

While MTR 1.11 gives them this right, it also leaves it up to judge discretion. “They pointed out a rules violation and that was bad for me” is not a good reason. Without some other reason I would certainly deny this request.

May 24, 2019 07:52:21 PM

Isaac King
Judge (Uncertified)

Barriere, Canada

Cheating or good play?

Originally posted by Patrick Green:

While MTR 1.11 gives them this right, it also leaves it up to judge discretion. “They pointed out a rules violation and that was bad for me” is not a good reason. Without some other reason I would certainly deny this request.

We want players to make this request through a judge so that we know about any potential problems that have or may still occur, and we avoid player-on-player confrontation. Unless it's logistically impossible, I'll pretty much always honor a player's request to have a spectator leave. I don't believe it's my place to evaluate their reasons for not wanting someone around them, with the aforementioned caveat of investigation for Cheating intentions.