Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Competitive REL » Post: "Dude you tapped too many lands"

"Dude you tapped too many lands"

May 19, 2019 11:22:19 PM [Original Post]

Erin Leonard
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Academy)), GP Team-Lead-in-Training

USA - South

Spectator Sam has finished playing his match and is watching Aditya and Ned's match.
Aditya taps 6 lands then casts a 5 mana Teferi.
Sam says, “Dude, you tapped too many lands.”

You, the judge, are nearby and see this occur. What do you do?

May 20, 2019 02:07:43 PM [Marked as Accepted Answer]

Scott Marshall
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 4 (Judge Foundry)), Hall of Fame

USA - Northwest

Step one: “hang on a second, folks; Aditya, you just played Teferi, right? … OK, Ned, do you recall which lands were tapped to pay for that? you know, that's six mana, right? and Teferi only costs 3UW?” all while observing Ned and even Aditya for their reactions; this gives you an early read on the possibility that Ned just wasn't going to correct an error they noticed.

From there, it's pretty easy to get Aditya to tap correctly, confirm with Ned that all is OK, and let them keep playing. (The most likely outcome; if your “spidey-sense” tingles in step one, you may pursue a chat with Ned, see what's in each player's hand to help you understand possible advantages, lines of play, etc.)

Step two: OK, keep playing - sorry for the interruption. Sam, can I speak with you, please? … (away from match) “Hey, at Competitive REL, if you see a problem, it's OK to ask the players to pause while you get a judge, and tell them - AWAY FROM THE TABLE - what you think went wrong. Please let Judges handle the actual infractions and any remedies. Oh, and - at Professional REL? you can't even stop the match, just get a judge ASAP.”

No infractions (in almost every reasonably conceivable case), no real harm done, good intentions all around.

d:^D

May 20, 2019 03:22:13 AM

Mark Mc Govern
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Academy)), TLC

United Kingdom, Ireland, and South Africa

I would come over and confirm what happened. First I’d educate Sam on the proper procedure at Comp - pause the game and call a judge, rather than jumping straight in and potentially being incorrect or missing something (eg a Thalia). Next, I’d rewind slightly, to the point where Aditya taps the correct number of lands. Whether or not I’d issue a GRV + FTMGS (incorrect costs paid - it’s very unlikely that floating mana wasn’t announced) depends on how soon Sam jumped in. If it was instantly (and not giving the players time to spot the error) I probably won’t penalise. If it was now end of turn then I probably would.

May 20, 2019 04:33:09 AM

Alex de Bruijne
Judge (Level 2 (International Judge Program))

BeNeLux

I'd probably go with the solution Mark suggests.
But the description matches the criteria for outside assitance word for word
Originally posted by IPG:

Gives play advice or reveals private information to players who have sat for their match.

Examples
B. A spectator points out the correct play to a player who had not solicited the information.
Why do I feel so reluctant to match loss Sam?
I'm not sure and will keep a close eye on this thread.

May 20, 2019 04:50:10 AM

Francesco Scialpi

Italy and Malta

Originally posted by Alex de Bruijne:

I'd probably go with the solution Mark suggests.
But the description matches the criteria for outside assitance word for word
Originally posted by IPG:

Gives play advice or reveals private information to players who have sat for their match.

Examples
B. A spectator points out the correct play to a player who had not solicited the information.
Why do I feel so reluctant to match loss Sam?
I'm not sure and will keep a close eye on this thread.

Your quote is about a player playing poorly, without committing an infraction - i.e. something that would not require judge intervention. “you should attack with that creature, your oppo has no flyers”.
In the described case, Aditya did technically commit an infraction - having one mana float without having announced it. That does require judge intervention.

Edited Francesco Scialpi (May 20, 2019 04:51:47 AM)

May 20, 2019 04:51:02 AM

Dustin De Leeuw
Judge (Level 3 (Judge Academy)), L3 Panel Lead, Tournament Organizer

BeNeLux

Is floating mana or overtapping mana “private information”? I always interpreted “the correct play” as strategic advice, not merely as pointing out that the current play is illegal according to the CR.

May 20, 2019 06:04:06 AM

Mark Mc Govern

Agree with Dustin - In Magic, “Play Advice” is generally understood to mean “giving tactical/strategic advice, or helping with a decision point”. Here, the spectator just point out an error - they didn't say “you should tap those lands instead”.

May 20, 2019 06:10:28 AM

Martin Cuchet
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Academy)), Tournament Organizer

France

I clearly disagree here. What if having one more untapped land during opp
turn is beneficial to AP ? What if this tapped land is the one missing to
play spells during main 2 ?

I think it should be ruled as OA unconditionally because spending manas is
a play advice.

May 20, 2019 06:16:09 AM

Paul Heidenreich

German-speaking countries

Would you intervene, if a player overpays one of his spells and handout a GRV?
To me this does not feel like an infraction, because the result is legal and players usually do not announce floating mana, if it is irrelevant. (Which is fine be my, only if it is irrelevant for the gamestate)

May 20, 2019 06:34:53 AM

Àre Maturana
Judge (Level 5 (International Judge Program)), Scorekeeper

France

@Martin : Something's wrong with the game state. Either AP has 1 mana in their pool which should be announced (MTR 4.1) or the player actually payed 6 for their Teferi which is straight up incorrect.

The spectator didn't give strategic advice (ie. “Don't play Teferi, another play is better”, “Use X ability of Tefeiri”, “Be careful about their (card)”…), they pointed out something incorrect in the game (albeit with an incorrect method), which does not fall under OA.

On another note, this could also be cheating, for example if NAP had a Thalia, Guardian of Thraben on the board a few turns ago and AP forgot it was gone and cast Teferi for 6 on purpose. NAP realized it and decided to not point the error because they thought it would benefit them. I'm unconfortable on giving an OA because a player pointed out something they (rightfully) think is unfair happened during a game.

Edited Àre Maturana (May 20, 2019 06:37:11 AM)

May 20, 2019 07:52:49 AM

Andrew Keeler
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Academy))

USA - Southeast

Originally posted by Paul Heidenreich:

Would you intervene, if a player overpays one of his spells and handout a GRV?
To me this does not feel like an infraction, because the result is legal and players usually do not announce floating mana, if it is irrelevant. (Which is fine be my, only if it is irrelevant for the gamestate)

How often do players actually have floating mana that's “irrelevant?” I can only think of a few specific instances, but most of them involve no way to exactly pay for a spell (only bounce lands in play, for example). And if this is a case of a player not announcing mana they intended to float and it actually being irrelevant, I'd still want to intervene to give AP the correct process even if I didn't end up issuing a GRV for the “victimless crime” of not announcing the floating mana.

Originally posted by Martin Cuchet:

What if having one more untapped land during opp
turn is beneficial to AP ? What if this tapped land is the one missing to
play spells during main 2 ?

I think it should be ruled as OA unconditionally because spending manas is
a play advice.

The decision of which lands to tap for Teferi may be a strategic consideration, but the decision of whether to pay five or six mana for him isn't. Which play is “better” shouldn't really enter into the discussion at this point because only one of the plays is legal.

May 20, 2019 10:37:21 AM

Eli Meyer

USA - Northeast

Originally posted by Dustin De Leeuw:

Is floating mana or overtapping mana “private information”?
Comp rules 106.4a: “If any mana remains in a player's mana pool after mana is spent to pay a cost, that player announces what mana is still there.”

Philosophically I think this error should be treated as failing to announce Status Information, with a CPV issued if and when the miscommunication causes and error, but a strict technical reading of rules and documents seems to point to overtapping being a GRV unless the mana is announced.

Edit: oddly, the MTR lists mana pools as free, not status, information. I’m not sure whether that overrides the comp rules requirement to announce, though.

Edited Eli Meyer (May 20, 2019 10:41:01 AM)

May 20, 2019 11:36:12 AM

Dustin De Leeuw
Judge (Level 3 (Judge Academy)), L3 Panel Lead, Tournament Organizer

BeNeLux

Originally posted by Eli Meyer:

Is floating mana or overtapping mana “private information”?
Comp rules 106.4a: “If any mana remains in a player's mana pool after mana is spent to pay a cost, that player announces what mana is still there.”

Philosophically I think this error should be treated as failing to announce Status Information, with a CPV issued if and when the miscommunication causes and error, but a strict technical reading of rules and documents seems to point to overtapping being a GRV unless the mana is announced.

Edit: oddly, the MTR lists mana pools as free, not status, information. I’m not sure whether that overrides the comp rules requirement to announce, though.
Edited Eli Meyer (Today 05:41:01 PM)

There is a requirement to announce for sure, but that still doesn't make any of this scenario private information. Issuing a penalty for Outside Assistance to Spectator Sam doesn't only feel wrong, it is wrong ^^ My comment wasn't supposed to answer what the player did wrong, it was geared towards Alex and Martin to assure them this is not and should not be Outside Assistance at all.

I'll gladly follow the debate about what to do to the players and their game, as I find this discussion interesting. let's just not get carried away by Sam, because that part fo the discussion is not very interesting at all: thank him for his vigilance and kindly ask him that next time he sees an error being committed, he pauses the game and calls a judge instead of directly informing the players of their mistake.

May 20, 2019 11:52:00 AM

Eli Meyer

USA - Northeast

There is a requirement to announce for sure, but that still doesn't make any of this scenario private information. Issuing a penalty for Outside Assistance to Spectator Sam doesn't only feel wrong, it is wrong ^^ My comment wasn't supposed to answer what the player did wrong, it was geared towards Alex and Martin to assure them this is not and should not be Outside Assistance at all.

I'll gladly follow the debate about what to do to the players and their game, as I find this discussion interesting. let's just not get carried away by Sam, because that part fo the discussion is not very interesting at all: thank him for his vigilance and kindly ask him that next time he sees an error being committed, he pauses the game and calls a judge instead of directly informing the players of their mistake.
I think there was some confusion, because I’m not arguing with you :-) I also agree the information is not private!

However, what is allowed in the game plays a very important role in how we treat Sam. I know that years ago, over tapping for spells was a “gotcha” strategy to play around Mana Leak. You’d tap three mana to play a Grizzly Bear and show two lands untapped, then use the secretly floating mana to pay the Mana Leak tax. Syncopate is standard-playable right now, so undeclared mana, accidental or otherwise, is IMHO a relevant topic.

May 20, 2019 12:11:04 PM

Mark Mc Govern

The vast majority of cases like these (99.9% I imagine) are players simply paying 6 for a 5 mana spell. It’s a simple error of either dexterity or attention to detail. If you suspect that it was an attempt to deliberately hide floating mana to bait a Syncopate, then treat it as such (penalty for failing to announce floating mana, and a word about how breaking rules to gain an advantage could be seen as cheating). I feel we might be overthinking things otherwise

May 20, 2019 01:00:15 PM

Eli Meyer

USA - Northeast

The point I’m trying to make, albeit ineffectively, is that 99% of the time it’s bookkeeping and 1% of the time it’s a violation, therefore 0% of the time is it a valid strategic play that a spectator gave away. Sorry if it felt like I was getting too in-the-weeds!