Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Competitive REL » Post: Modifying a real card to be a token

Modifying a real card to be a token

June 17, 2019 01:12:35 PM [Original Post]

Jeff Kruchkow
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Academy))

USA - Great Lakes

Did a search for a few things and didn't quite find as clear of an answer as I'd like so asking for clarity.

A player is playing Llanowar Mentor and wants to use several real Llanowar Elf as the tokens. What is the minimum they need to do to those cards for that to not count against them in a deck check presuming they want to keep all the cards in the same box. Does simply making it not meet the criteria in the authorized cards section of the MTR count (ie. Sharpie-ing out the mana cost) or does it take more?

June 17, 2019 01:50:39 PM [Marked as Accepted Answer]

Scott Marshall
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 4 (Judge Foundry)), Hall of Fame

USA - Northwest

Llanowar Elves are a legal card for the format, so my short answer is “just don’t do that.”

If the Ll-elves are in significantly different sleeves, and are CLEARLY presented to each opponent before the deck is presented, then it’s legal.

Look at MTR 2.3, #3 - decks and sideboards are presented before each game; if it’s clearly communicated that the elves are neither deck nor sideboard cards, that rule is satisfied.

However, also consider:
Originally posted by MTR 3.8, Game Markers:

Players using markers to represent in-game components (e.g. permanents) must have a way of clearly representing any in-game status, such as whether a permanent is tapped. Sleeves or card backs that appear similar to any player’s sleeves or card backs may not be used as markers. A tournament official may disallow the use of game markers that can cause confusion or that are deemed inappropriate or offensive.
Judges may still decide to disallow the elf tokens; I don’t think I would, but I am just one of thousands…

d:^D

Edited Scott Marshall (June 17, 2019 01:51:37 PM)

June 17, 2019 02:08:10 PM

Jeff Kruchkow
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Academy))

USA - Great Lakes

Originally posted by Scott Marshall:

Llanowar Elves are a legal card for the format, so my short answer is “just don’t do that.”

If the Ll-elves are in significantly different sleeves, and are CLEARLY presented to each opponent before the deck is presented, then it’s legal.

Look at MTR 2.3, #3 - decks and sideboards are presented before each game; if it’s clearly communicated that the elves are neither deck nor sideboard cards, that rule is satisfied.

However, also consider:
Originally posted by MTR 3.8, Game Markers:

Players using markers to represent in-game components (e.g. permanents) must have a way of clearly representing any in-game status, such as whether a permanent is tapped. Sleeves or card backs that appear similar to any player’s sleeves or card backs may not be used as markers. A tournament official may disallow the use of game markers that can cause confusion or that are deemed inappropriate or offensive.
Judges may still decide to disallow the elf tokens; I don’t think I would, but I am just one of thousands…

At what point does a card stop being a card is I guess what I'm asking? Presenting tokens gives away real info in some cases, and it would seem like something like cutting the corners off or acetone-ing off the Magic back would take it past the line of reasonable consideration.

June 17, 2019 02:30:37 PM

Scott Marshall
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 4 (Judge Foundry)), Hall of Fame

USA - Northwest

I know what you asked; I stand by my answer. (Especially the “just don’t” part.)

Note that saying “here’s some tokens in case we need them”, without showing what they are, reveals NOTHING about your deck.

June 18, 2019 04:05:14 AM

Jasper Overman
Judge (Level 2 (International Judge Program)), Scorekeeper

BeNeLux

To be sure the tokens stand out: cut the edges off, and use card sleeves ment for smaller card types to keep the tokens in. That way, they are much more easy to differentiate from the cards on the decklist.