Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Competitive REL » Post: Legal Tournament Shortcut?

Legal Tournament Shortcut?

June 23, 2019 09:58:02 AM

Bino Nolting
Judge (Level 1 (Judge Academy))

German-speaking countries

Hello all,

I know that putting multiple objects on the stack is a shortcut for putting them one after another on the stack and always wait for the resolving of one abillity, before putting the next one. On my last tournament I did some sloppy play, and I wonder, if this is a legal tournament shortcut:

Let's say, my opponent controls stitcher's supplier and a gravecrawler. I play a Walking ballista with 3 Counters. Is removing 2 counters from my Ballista and announce to ping the supplier and then the crawler a legal shortcut for pinging the supplier and after it dies and in response to its die trigger ping the otger creature? My reasoning for it is that this is the first opportunity after resolving the first announced action to put the second one on the stack.

I dont want to argue about, if one should use this shortcut, because after my opponent told me that this is maybe a little sloppy, we resolved the stack more carefully. And I think in such a situation, this is what we should (!) do, but I wonder, if my first intend would have worked in terms of tournament shortcuts.

June 23, 2019 11:02:08 AM

Johannes Wagner
Judge (Level 2 (International Judge Program))

116.3b The active player receives priority after a spell or ability (other than a mana ability) resolves.

Only possible as long as its your turn and your opponent passes so that the first ping resolves.

But to be honest, I can't really see a problem with that one.

Edited Johannes Wagner (June 23, 2019 11:07:21 AM)

June 23, 2019 11:13:00 AM

Bino Nolting
Judge (Level 1 (Judge Academy))

Yes, I assume that it is my turn.

To be more explicite: I just remove 2 Counters and say “ping supplier, then gravecrawler”

Does that mean, I ping the crawler, while the supplier's die trigger is on the stack? Or do I have to announce that explicitly?

June 23, 2019 11:16:51 AM

Johannes Wagner
Judge (Level 2 (International Judge Program))

You should announce this.

Basically everything can be a tournament shortcut if your opponent agrees ;-)
And better communicate more than less so the board state/stack is clearly represented.

Edited Johannes Wagner (June 23, 2019 11:17:37 AM)

June 23, 2019 03:42:59 PM

Isaac King
Judge (Uncertified)

Barriere, Canada

The short answer- if what you did is clear to both you and your opponent, it's fine. If it somehow ends up being relevant exactly when these abilities were activated, you can simply clarify at that point. This seems fine.