Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Knowledge Pool Scenarios » Post: Stolen Breath - GOLD

Stolen Breath - GOLD

July 17, 2019 03:10:34 PM [Original Post]

Joe Klopchic
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 5 (Judge Foundry))

Seattle, Washington, United States of America

Stolen Breath - GOLD

Welcome back to the Knowledge Pool! This week we have a GOLD scenario, so everyone is welcome to jump in right away. Enjoy!

Agustin is playing against Neal at a Legacy Grand Prix. Agustin controls Breathstealer's Crypt, and each player has three cards in hand. Neal untaps and draws for his turn, and immediately passes. Agustin untaps and draws, then Neal notices that they each forgot to reveal the last card they drew for Breathstealer's Crypt, and calls for a judge. What do you do?

July 23, 2019 01:24:14 PM [Marked as Accepted Answer]

Joe Klopchic
Forum Moderator

Stolen Breath - GOLD

Thanks everyone for the discussion this week. This scenario was widely discussed at MF Denver, and in this thread.

I want to talk about a few of our options, then the reason we chose the answer.

I think we all agree that this is Hidden Card Error for Agustin. Augustin has failed to apply the effect of his card to this draw, and it can't be corrected with publically available information. Its HCE. At the very least, our fix is going to involve revealing Agustin's hand to Neal and having Neal choose one of the cards to return to the top of the library, then correctly resolving the draw.

Game Rules Violation vs Hidden Card Error for Neal's incorrect draw is more contentious. The inspiration for this scenario was to make sure everyone had read the most recent IPG update, which includes this line in Hidden Card Error:

Originally posted by IPG 2.3 Hidden Card Error:

It is not a Hidden Card Error if the opponent acknowledges the action or controls
the continuous effect modifying the game rule that was violated.

As pointed out in this thread, and many other places, we now have to decide whether Breathstealer's Crypt's replacement effect that applies to the incorrect draw counts as a continuous effect modifying the rules of the game. Using the strictest possible interpretation, it does not. However, if we read Toby's article talking about the changes, he mentions his motivation:

Originally posted by Toby Elliott:

… This isn’t to say that a player casting Divination with a Narset out should be able to take it back, but we’d prefer the opponent to be preemptive about reminding the player of what the result was going to be before things became harder to fix. With a potential reveal of the opponent’s hand and removing their best card available, staying silent was too good, to the point where the IPG was making Narset a stronger card. …

Its fairly clear that this policy should apply to this situation, and choosing to not apply it was being overly pedantic. This was discussed in depth with the GP Head Judges at Denver and elsewhere, and the consensus was to apply the exception and treat this situation as a Game Rule Violation.

Next, we have to talk about how to fix this situation.

If we choose not to back up to the point of Neal's error, we simply apply the HCE fix described above and continue the game.

If we want to back up, I came up with 4 options that are even remotely possibilities.

1) Do a full GRV rewind, including putting cards back on top at random for both players. This doesn't apply the HCE fix to Agustin.
2) Apply the HCE fix to Agustin's hand, then rewind to Neal's draw step.
3) Rewind to Neal's draw step, then have Neal his Breathstealer's Crypt effect, then apply the HCE Fix to Agustin.
4) Apply the HCE fix to both players.

3 and 4 are clearly deviations, and I don't believe any benefit that they provide is significant enough to rationalize the deviation.

1 applies the same fix to both players, but it doesn't match the philosophy of HCE.

2 is the most rational. It applies the HCE fix and GRV fix appropriately to each player.

So we need to decide whether to rewind or not. The upside to the rewind is that the game happens naturally, but the downside is that Neal now gets the opportunity to have a turn where he knows Agustin's hand that he shouldn't have. In a format like Legacy, this can have drastic impacts on the game. The downside to not rewinding is Neal gets to keep the card he should have revealed hidden, or at least a random card hidden, and doesn't have to apply the Breathstealer's Crypt effect at all. This seems not the worst, and is a reasonable punishment for Agustin for not reminding Neal to apply the effect. We conclude that not rewinding is the best choice. Please note that the exact situation in the game can make rewinding more reasonable, and that not backing up here is at the discretion of the judge/head judge.

Finally, what infractions/penalties do we issue? Clearly HCE for Agustin, GRV for Neal. There is an argument for an additional GRV for Agustin for missing Neal's draw. Failure to Maintain Game State for Neal isn't an option since Neal pointed out Agustin's error right after it happened.

We don't issue multiple penalties for the same cause, and in this case the reason is that both players have forgotten to apply this effect. Awarding a second penalty to Agustin isn't necessary.

Agustin receives a Warning for Hidden Card Error. Neal receives a Warning for Game Rule Violation. Don't back up the game to Neal's turn, but do apply the Hidden Card Error fix to Agustin's hand by revealing it, having Neal choose a card that should have been revealed for Breathstealer's Crypt. Then if the chosen card is a creature, Agustin chooses to pay 3 life or discard that card.

Edited Joe Klopchic (July 23, 2019 01:28:08 PM)

July 17, 2019 08:02:00 PM

Marwin de Souza Bravin
Judge (Level 1 (Judge Academy))

Brazil

Stolen Breath - GOLD

Agustin controls the permanent that created the mandatory trigger so he is responsible for it. The trigger on Neal's turn is too far and is missed. Augustin's turn trigger is considered detrimental, so he receives a warning and Neal decides if the trigger will go to the stack.

July 17, 2019 09:27:16 PM

Isaac King
Judge (Uncertified)

Barriere, Canada

Stolen Breath - GOLD

Originally posted by Marwin de Souza Bravin:

Agustin controls the permanent that created the mandatory trigger so he is responsible for it. The trigger on Neal's turn is too far and is missed. Augustin's turn trigger is considered detrimental, so he receives a warning and Neal decides if the trigger will go to the stack.

Marwin, how can you tell if an ability is a triggered ability?

July 18, 2019 04:39:09 AM

Mael BRIAND

Europe - North

Stolen Breath - GOLD

After looking at the Oracle I see that the card's text has been updated, while originally templated as a trigger it is now worded as a replacement effect:
If a player would draw a card, instead they draw a card and reveal it. If it's a creature card, that player discards it unless they pay 3 life.
Additionally, according to the MTR, section 4.1:
Cards are considered to have their Oracle text printed on them.
So there we have each player failing to draw their card correctly due to an effect controlled by Agustin.
For me it's a warning for HCE for Neal for his draw and one for FtMGS for Agustin. Regarding Agustin's draw, Neal is the one to acknowledge their mistakes immediately after it so he should not receive another penalty, on Agustin's side I don't know what is the better fit between a warning for HCE or one for GRV as they are the player controlling the effect.
As for remedies, and as we can consider to still be in Agustin's draw step I would apply the same to both players, starting by Neal. They reveal their hand and the opponent chooses a previously unknown card to be the revealed card, if it's a creature they then choose to pay 3 life or discard it.

July 18, 2019 05:54:16 PM

Oren Firestein
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Academy))

USA - Northwest

Stolen Breath - GOLD

Originally posted by Mael BRIAND:

For me it's a warning for HCE for Neal for his draw and one for FtMGS for Agustin.

From the new IPG, section 2.3:
It is not a Hidden Card Error if the opponent acknowledges the action or controls the continuous effect modifying the game rule that was violated.
This means that it is not HCE for Neal.

One important question is whether there are any unknown cards in either player's hand, since Breathstealer's Crypt may have been in play for some time. I will proceed with the rest of this answer as though each player has at least one unknown card in hand other than the one most recently drawn.

It is certainly HCE for Agustin, since this can't be corrected by only publicly known information. We can apply the standard fix, by letting Neal look at Agustin's hand and choose the card that should be “revealed” for Breathstealer's Crypt's ability.

Since Agustin controlled the continuous effect that made Neal's action illegal, we should give a warning for the GRV to both players. However, since we are already giving a warning for the HCE to Agustin, and since we don't give out multiple penalties for related infractions discovered at the same time, I would skip this warning for Agustin.

We can consider a backup to Neal's draw step as part of the fix for the GRV. This depends on the rest of the board state. Since we are showing Agustin's hand to Neal anyway as part of the HCE fix, I feel that we can consider the contents of Agustin's hand in determining whether to back up (which we usually wouldn't). If Agustin does not have any way to modify the top card of his library, then I would probably perform the backup. Put the card that Neal selected on top of Agustin's library, tap permanents as appropriate, and rewind to Neal's draw step. Put a random card from Neal's hand on top of his library (excluding any cards which both players know were previously in Neal's hand), and then perform the Breathstealer's Crypt replacement.

July 19, 2019 02:18:12 AM

Mael BRIAND

Europe - North

Stolen Breath - GOLD

Your backup looks really dangerous to me. By letting Neal look at Agustin's hand and putting one of their card on top of their library and then go back to the beginning of his draw step he's gained a lot of information and if he has a way to interact with his opponent's library you offered him a way to remove the card of his choice from his opponent's hand.
As soon as we reveal Agustin's hand to Neal I feel like too much hidden information has been revealed to perform a backup. And so if the backup is the way to go I would also choose Agustin's card randomly among the cards previously unknown to both players.

July 19, 2019 04:24:49 AM

Arman Gabbasov

Russia and Russian-speaking countries

Stolen Breath - GOLD

I don't think the ability of Breathstealer's Crypt modifies the rules of the game. It rather creates a replacement effect. I would rule that they both have committed a HCE. Since it is the kind of error that cannot be remedied through only publicly available information.
Remedy:
Each player should reveal their hand and their opponent shall choose the card ‘drawn’. If the card is a creature card it should be discarded now or its owner should pay 3 life.

FtMGs specifically states that it is only applied when a player lets their opponent commit a GRV, hence not applicable here. HCE fix seems clean enough to me so I would not even consider a backup in this scenario.

July 19, 2019 06:31:21 AM

Christian Gienger
Judge (Level 3 (International Judge Program)), Scorekeeper

German-speaking countries

Stolen Breath - GOLD

FTMGS is not only for GRVs, but for the category of GPEs, which includes HCE. But as both players commited the HCE infraction which I consider related, I wouldn't give FTMGS to the players.

July 19, 2019 12:34:07 PM

Elaine Cao
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Foundry)), Scorekeeper

Canada

Stolen Breath - GOLD

This is that weird double GRV situation with the new rules that were changed for Narset, isn't it?

So NAP's missed reveal is a double HCE/GRV. Not only is it too late in the turn cycle, its also both player's responsibility to remember it so we will leave it as is. AP's missed reveal is a HCE and we can apply the “thoughtseize fix” for that.

July 19, 2019 08:38:25 PM

Milan Majerčík
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Academy)), Scorekeeper

Europe - Central

Stolen Breath - GOLD

You can also inspire yourselves from a recent Uncle Scott's deviation and actually perform no remedy action.

https://apps.magicjudges.org/forum/topic/50794/?page=1#post-285445

July 21, 2019 08:55:02 PM

Isaac King
Judge (Uncertified)

Barriere, Canada

Stolen Breath - GOLD

Originally posted by Arman Gabbasov:

I don't think the ability of Breathstealer's Crypt modifies the rules of the game. It rather creates a replacement effect.

Arman, what is it that you think the replacement effect is doing, if not modifying the rule for how to draw cards?

July 22, 2019 10:07:21 AM

Arman Gabbasov

Russia and Russian-speaking countries

Stolen Breath - GOLD

Originally posted by Isaac King:

Arman, what is it that you think the replacement effect is doing, if not modifying the rule for how to draw cards?

I believe that only effects that prohibit something from happening are actually rules changing effects. But I am not sure to be honest. I just wonder if by the logic I think you imply all the replacement effects change the rules of the game.

Originally posted by Christian Gienger:

FTMGS is not only for GRVs, but for the category of GPEs, which includes HCE.

Oops, looked at an obsolete edition of IPG. It used to be for GRVs only.

July 23, 2019 01:24:14 PM [Marked as Accepted Answer]

Joe Klopchic
Forum Moderator

Stolen Breath - GOLD

Thanks everyone for the discussion this week. This scenario was widely discussed at MF Denver, and in this thread.

I want to talk about a few of our options, then the reason we chose the answer.

I think we all agree that this is Hidden Card Error for Agustin. Augustin has failed to apply the effect of his card to this draw, and it can't be corrected with publically available information. Its HCE. At the very least, our fix is going to involve revealing Agustin's hand to Neal and having Neal choose one of the cards to return to the top of the library, then correctly resolving the draw.

Game Rules Violation vs Hidden Card Error for Neal's incorrect draw is more contentious. The inspiration for this scenario was to make sure everyone had read the most recent IPG update, which includes this line in Hidden Card Error:

Originally posted by IPG 2.3 Hidden Card Error:

It is not a Hidden Card Error if the opponent acknowledges the action or controls
the continuous effect modifying the game rule that was violated.

As pointed out in this thread, and many other places, we now have to decide whether Breathstealer's Crypt's replacement effect that applies to the incorrect draw counts as a continuous effect modifying the rules of the game. Using the strictest possible interpretation, it does not. However, if we read Toby's article talking about the changes, he mentions his motivation:

Originally posted by Toby Elliott:

… This isn’t to say that a player casting Divination with a Narset out should be able to take it back, but we’d prefer the opponent to be preemptive about reminding the player of what the result was going to be before things became harder to fix. With a potential reveal of the opponent’s hand and removing their best card available, staying silent was too good, to the point where the IPG was making Narset a stronger card. …

Its fairly clear that this policy should apply to this situation, and choosing to not apply it was being overly pedantic. This was discussed in depth with the GP Head Judges at Denver and elsewhere, and the consensus was to apply the exception and treat this situation as a Game Rule Violation.

Next, we have to talk about how to fix this situation.

If we choose not to back up to the point of Neal's error, we simply apply the HCE fix described above and continue the game.

If we want to back up, I came up with 4 options that are even remotely possibilities.

1) Do a full GRV rewind, including putting cards back on top at random for both players. This doesn't apply the HCE fix to Agustin.
2) Apply the HCE fix to Agustin's hand, then rewind to Neal's draw step.
3) Rewind to Neal's draw step, then have Neal his Breathstealer's Crypt effect, then apply the HCE Fix to Agustin.
4) Apply the HCE fix to both players.

3 and 4 are clearly deviations, and I don't believe any benefit that they provide is significant enough to rationalize the deviation.

1 applies the same fix to both players, but it doesn't match the philosophy of HCE.

2 is the most rational. It applies the HCE fix and GRV fix appropriately to each player.

So we need to decide whether to rewind or not. The upside to the rewind is that the game happens naturally, but the downside is that Neal now gets the opportunity to have a turn where he knows Agustin's hand that he shouldn't have. In a format like Legacy, this can have drastic impacts on the game. The downside to not rewinding is Neal gets to keep the card he should have revealed hidden, or at least a random card hidden, and doesn't have to apply the Breathstealer's Crypt effect at all. This seems not the worst, and is a reasonable punishment for Agustin for not reminding Neal to apply the effect. We conclude that not rewinding is the best choice. Please note that the exact situation in the game can make rewinding more reasonable, and that not backing up here is at the discretion of the judge/head judge.

Finally, what infractions/penalties do we issue? Clearly HCE for Agustin, GRV for Neal. There is an argument for an additional GRV for Agustin for missing Neal's draw. Failure to Maintain Game State for Neal isn't an option since Neal pointed out Agustin's error right after it happened.

We don't issue multiple penalties for the same cause, and in this case the reason is that both players have forgotten to apply this effect. Awarding a second penalty to Agustin isn't necessary.

Agustin receives a Warning for Hidden Card Error. Neal receives a Warning for Game Rule Violation. Don't back up the game to Neal's turn, but do apply the Hidden Card Error fix to Agustin's hand by revealing it, having Neal choose a card that should have been revealed for Breathstealer's Crypt. Then if the chosen card is a creature, Agustin chooses to pay 3 life or discard that card.

Edited Joe Klopchic (July 23, 2019 01:28:08 PM)

July 23, 2019 01:25:22 PM

Joe Klopchic
Forum Moderator

Stolen Breath - GOLD

Previously, our policy at KP was to lock completed threads so that the correct answer was at the end. With the creation of the Accepted Answer feature, I'm going to leave this open for discussion for now.

July 25, 2019 12:39:51 AM

Isaac King
Judge (Uncertified)

Barriere, Canada

Stolen Breath - GOLD

Originally posted by Joe Klopchic:

As pointed out in this thread, and many other places, we now have to decide whether Breathstealer's Crypt's replacement effect that applies to the incorrect draw counts as a continuous effect modifying the rules of the game. Using the strictest possible interpretation, it does not.

That is incorrect, if you read the rules completely technically all replacement effects fall into that category. That said,
policy tends to be written in natural language, and trying to interpret it very technically in the context of the CR can lead to unintended consequences.