Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Tournament Operations » Post: Pairing in top 8 limited vs constructed

Pairing in top 8 limited vs constructed

Aug. 5, 2013 05:13:14 AM

Niki Lin
Judge (Uncertified)

BeNeLux

For constructed events we have the following bracket at a top8, based on places in the swiss:

1v8 (A)
4v5 (B)
3v6 (C)
2v7 (D)

with the winner of A playing the winner of B and player C playing the winner of match D, with the final following.

While for a limited event the MTR says: Use a random method to seat players around the draft table and conduct the draft.

Why is this random, why can't we put players around the table like this:

1 - 2 - 3 - 4
5 - 6 - 7 - 8

So that we have similar pairings like constructed? (With player 1 playing 8 and so on)

Or is it done this “random” way because we want to prevent player 1 feeding the better players (which according to some drafters is more difficult)?

Aug. 5, 2013 11:34:23 AM

Scott Marshall
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 4 (Judge Foundry)), Hall of Fame

USA - Northwest

Randomization of Limited Top 8s was introduced long ago - ten years? more? - and, as I recall, addresses two primary concerns. First, to avoid manipulation of final round results (I know, I know - Collusion!) to ensure a match vs. a “weaker” drafter. And, what you mention is also a concern.

Also, before the randomization, the seating was ordered - but not as you listed. Instead - and this is from memory and may not be completely correct (I can't recall if I have 2 & 3 in the right order):
1 - 6 - 5 - 3
7 - 4 - 2 - 8

Aug. 5, 2013 11:42:12 AM

Jordan Baker
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Foundry)), Scorekeeper

USA - North

I don't have an official answer, but one nitpick: your table should be listed as some variant of:

1 - 2 - 4 - 3
6 - 5 - 7 - 8

Your setup works fine for quarterfinals, but the semis has 1/8 vs 3/6 and 2/7 vs 4/5, when it should be 1/8 vs 4/5 and 2/7 vs 3/6.

Aug. 5, 2013 11:48:34 AM

Johanna Virtanen
Judge (Level 3 (Magic Judges Finland)), L3 Panel Lead

Europe - North

As I recall, it was also to prevent players from making deals or agreements with the players sitting next to them - “I'll draft red, you should draft blue”. Since there's usually a short break between announcing the top 8 and starting the draft, it was very hard to stop players from doing something like that.

Aug. 5, 2013 03:08:41 PM

Toby Elliott
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 3 (Judge Academy)), L3 Panel Lead

USA - Northeast

Originally posted by Johanna Virtanen:

As I recall, it was also to prevent players from making deals or agreements with the players sitting next to them - “I'll draft red, you should draft blue”. Since there's usually a short break between announcing the top 8 and starting the draft, it was very hard to stop players from doing something like that.

This. If you know where everyone is sitting before they get to the table, you can engineer things we'd rather not have happen.

Aug. 9, 2013 06:09:44 PM

John Carter
Judge (Level 3 (Judge Academy)), Tournament Organizer

USA - Northwest

As I recall, the seating order prior to the change was:

1 - 6 - 4 - 2 -
- 7 - 5 - 3 - 8

The way I retained that data is understanding that the table was set up to reward #1.
First, they play the weakest player (8).
Then they're fed by the next weakest player (7) two packs–this sets #2 seat.
They're fed by the next weakest player (6) one pack–this sets #3's seat. Note that 2 and 3 are thus maximally away from 1.
To figure out the 4 - 5 seating, again have the weaker player (5) feed.

The checksum, if you will, is that the table winds up with an “odd” half (1 - 7 - 5 - 3) and an “even” one (6 - 4 - 2 - 8).

Sept. 10, 2013 04:14:17 PM

Jonas Eriksson
Judge (Uncertified)

Europe - North

Technically the seating comes from that 1st plays against 8th in the quarter, 2nd against 7th etc. While you also won't be able to be paired against the player sitting in the next seat until the eventual final, this is true for every seat.

Sept. 10, 2013 05:44:33 PM

Matthew Johnson
Judge (Level 3 (UK Magic Officials))

United Kingdom, Ireland, and South Africa

On Tue Sep 10 19:16, Jonas Eriksson wrote:
> Technically the seating comes from that 1st plays against 8th in the quarter, 2nd against 7th etc. While you also won't be able to be paired against the player sitting in the next seat until the eventual final, this is true for every seat.

Actually, for limited events you randomize seatings and then cross pair, so you're not playing 1/8 etc. If you did pair like this then people could pre-calculate who they were drafting next to and engage in collusion more easily, which we'd like to avoid.

For constructed events we do pair like that.