Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Knowledge Pool Scenarios » Post: The Fateseal Reveal... BRONZE

The Fateseal Reveal... BRONZE

Aug. 21, 2013 08:26:27 PM

Jason Wong
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 3 (Judge Academy)), L3 Panel Lead

Canada

Hello all! I'm posting today on behalf of Mike White, L2 from Niagara Falls, Ontario. He's one of the Knowledge Pool's newest members, and doesn't have posting privileges yet. Here we go:

This scenario is rated BRONZE, which means it's directed toward L1s and L1 candidates. If you don't fit in those categories, please give others some time to post their thoughts before adding yours.

Aaron and Nadine are playing each other in the third round of a Legacy GPT.

Aaron has a Jace, the Mind Sculptor in play. He activates Jace’s +2 ability, and looks at the top card of Nadine’s library. He thinks for a moment, then shows it to Nadine and asks, “Is this the card you’re looking for?” while trying to read a reaction.

Nadine’s reaction is to put her hand up in the air and yell, “JUDGE!”

How do you rule?

Aug. 21, 2013 09:23:18 PM

Sam Sherman
Judge (Uncertified)

USA - Southwest

no infraction, no penalty. aaron has access to a piece of hidden
information, and it's his right to reveal that hidden information if he
wants to.

Aug. 22, 2013 01:22:33 AM

Chris Nowak
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Academy))

USA - Midatlantic

I can't find any Comp or Tournament rule that says you must keep your own private information private.

No infraction, therefore no penalty. (I'm assuming it wasn't done in a disruptive or antagonistic fashion, or it would be part of the scenario)

Aug. 22, 2013 06:00:51 AM

Stefano Ferrari
Italy and Malta

I agree with everyone here in saying that there's no GPEs or TEs in this scenario. Aaron is allowed to reveal any hidden information he can see and there's no penalty for showing that card.

However, I would raise some suspicions towards USC - Minor if my investigation proves that Aaron is intending to set his opponent somewhat unconfortable beyond the gameplay situation.

4.1. Unsporting Conduct —Minor
Definition
A player takes action that is disruptive to the tournament or its participants. It may affect the comfort level of those around the individual, but determining whether this is the case is not required.

Philosophy
All participants should expect a safe and enjoyable environment at a tournament, and a participant needs to be made aware if his or her behavior is unacceptable so that this environment may be maintained

Edited Stefano Ferrari (Aug. 22, 2013 06:01:07 AM)

Aug. 22, 2013 07:32:32 PM

Justin Rix
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Foundry))

USA - Southeast

While he has not broken any rules thus far, he is pressing very close to unsporting conduct. If his behavior is taunting the opponent, a caution might be warranted. Thus any further actions of this type, would fall under failure to follow a direct instruction.
This kind of behavior can be all fun and games around the kitchen table, but in a tournament setting, it could cross into unwanted behavior.

Aug. 22, 2013 09:06:20 PM

Daniel Pareja
Judge (Uncertified)

Canada

Note that the MTR says this about hidden information: “However, players may choose to reveal their hands or any other hidden information available only to them, unless specifically prohibited by the rules.”

And I don't think this falls under Unsporting Conduct, either. “Unsporting behavior is not the same as a lack of sporting behavior. There is a wide middle ground of ‘competitive’ behavior that is certainly neither ‘nice’ nor ‘sporting’ but still doesn’t qualify as ‘unsporting.’ The Head Judge is the final arbiter on what constitutes unsporting conduct.” This is competitive behaviour, with Aaron trying to read Nadine for some sort of reaction to seeing the card. I don't see it as any different from not looking at your opening hand (if you're on the draw) until your opponent has decided whether to mulligan or not, or from trying to read your opponent (if you're on the play) to see whether his or her opening hand is good.

Whether it's taunting would, to me, depend on his tone of voice when he said it, and as I wasn't there when he said it, I can't judge that.

Aug. 26, 2013 04:51:24 AM

Juan Gonzalez
Judge (Uncertified)

BeNeLux

Originally posted by Daniel Pareja:

Whether it's taunting would, to me, depend on his tone of voice when he said it, and as I wasn't there when he said it, I can't judge that.

+1

Edited Juan Gonzalez (Aug. 26, 2013 04:52:06 AM)

Aug. 27, 2013 11:16:03 AM

Michael White
Judge (Uncertified)

Canada

Congratulations to all the judges who correctly realized that no infraction had been committed!

Referring to the MTR (3.12), this behaviour is specifically allowed, “… players may choose to reveal their hands or any other hidden information available only to them, unless specifically prohibited by the rules.”

And while some judges questioned whether this was USC-Minor, attempting to gain additional information by trying to read your opponents behaviour is not Unsporting Conduct.

Thanks everyone, and be sure to tune in tomorrow for another Knowledge Pool Scenario!