Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Competitive REL » Post: Adding extra time after an investigation

Adding extra time after an investigation

Aug. 28, 2013 04:04:55 PM

Fredrik Herlitz
Judge (Uncertified)

Europe - North

After reading through the forums here on Judge APPS i found something that got my attention. In another thread Scott Marshall, L5, said “ There's really no reliable, consistent guide we can give judges that would correlate Slow Play to an actual amount of time lost. Adding an extra turn is an elegant and consistent solution” and my quesiton is;

There is five minutes remaining before its TIME, you get a judge call and it ends up in an investigation. after the investigation nothing more relevant happens and the players can continue to play. They sure want extra time since the investigation took about 30 minutes. so my question is, do we/I give them extra TIME or extra TURNS? ot should ju just treat situations like this as we do normaly? And how does this effect slow play/stalling?

(I was abit unsure on where to put this topic but i figure it fits here)

Fredrik Herlitz
Sweden
L1

Edited Fredrik Herlitz (Aug. 28, 2013 04:07:20 PM)

Aug. 28, 2013 08:01:27 PM

Scott Marshall
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 4 (Judge Foundry)), Hall of Fame

USA - Northwest

Extra time, equal to (at least) the amount of time they lost off the round clock. Then, when that time expires, they still get the five extra turns.

Whenever a judge stops play, we replace the time to give them the same 50 minutes as everyone else. (That would include when a judge allows a bathroom break.)

So, in your example, you give them 5 extra minutes, then they get 5 turns.

Aug. 28, 2013 08:56:41 PM

Joshua Feingold
Judge (Uncertified)

USA - Midatlantic

Frederick, here's a concrete example that I think addresses the corner case you may be worrying about:

I was watching a match at the end of round at a recent GP. With about 30 seconds left, I made a ruling, which was appealed. It took about 4 minutes to conclude the appeal, at which time I gave the players a 4 minutes extension. Since we were already 3:30 past the end of the round, I called time for the match 30 seconds later. Then the players got their 5 turns.

It's relatively uncommon to give an extension that substantially exceeds the time remaining in the match, but it works just like any other extension.

Aug. 28, 2013 10:09:50 PM

Stefano Ferrari
Italy and Malta

Fredrik, since Slow Play was involved, it is useful to note that the Additional Remedy in the IPG recommends this:

An extra turn is awarded for each player, to be applied if the match exceeds the time limit. If multiple players on each side are playing the same game (such as in Two-Headed Giant) only one extra turn is awarded per team. This turn extension occurs before any end-of-match procedure can begin and after any time extensions that may have been issued.

No extra turns are awarded if the match is already in extra turns, though the Warning still applies.

I believe this is an exception to the normal extension that a Judge will give, meant to give TURNS instead of TIME because the Judge isn't really stopping the game to “do things” but is rather giving a Warning without stopping the game. That was the sense of my original question, where Scott Marshall answered with the words you have quoted, and this is the philosophy that I understood from that thread.

Edited Stefano Ferrari (Aug. 28, 2013 10:23:16 PM)

Aug. 28, 2013 10:19:42 PM

Alexis Hunt
Judge (Uncertified)

Canada

The extra turns are to compensate for the actual infraction (Slow Play) that has occurred, because we have a difficult time quantifying exactly how much time was lost to slow play. Rather than have a judge estimate “Well, you've been playing slowly for about 5 minutes, and I think you could have saved 2 minutes, so I'll give 2 extra minutes.”, you simply add two additional turns to the game, which is much easier to implement. If we gave extra time as a direct consequence of Slow Play, you can bet there would be a lot of bad moments “I would have won the match except that the judge added two extra minutes for my Slow Play instead of only one.” or “Why don't you add three minutes? He's been Slow Playing all match!”.

The time we take when giving a ruling, however, is very easy to quantify. If we take note of the round clock when we take a judge call, we can easily figure out how long the judge call took when it was resolved and award extra time accordingly, so that the players can play their full 50 minutes. This principle continues to apply when giving Slow Play. Normally, Slow Play does not require time, and you simply inform the players that one of them will be given a Slow Play Warning, and ask them to continue their match while you record the penalty. This may not always be the case; there may be an investigation for Stalling, or there may be an appeal that takes a while (although you should always instruct players to continue playing while fetching the Head Judge for a Slow Play appeal). In such cases, it is correct to give both extra turns for the Slow Play and extra time for the time taken to deliver the ruling.

Aug. 28, 2013 11:56:00 PM

Fredrik Herlitz
Judge (Uncertified)

Europe - North

Originally posted by Scott Marshall:

Extra time, equal to (at least) the amount of time they lost off the round clock. Then, when that time expires, they still get the five extra turns.

Whenever a judge stops play, we replace the time to give them the same 50 minutes as everyone else. (That would include when a judge allows a bathroom break.)

So, in your example, you give them 5 extra minutes, then they get 5 turns.

Okey thanks! then i have been treating situations like this correctly!

Aug. 28, 2013 11:56:52 PM

Fredrik Herlitz
Judge (Uncertified)

Europe - North

@Joshua Feingold, thanks for the scenario! =)