Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Tournament Operations » Post: Players with special needs

Players with special needs

Sept. 28, 2012 08:12:48 PM

David Manasco
Judge (Uncertified)

USA - North

Evening all. I am helping with a local prerelease tomorrow night at 6. We have a player who will be there who has to have his father playing with him and isnt able to move around the shop easily. I was wondering what other judges are doing with this issue as WER is currently missing this feature. Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated.

Sept. 28, 2012 08:55:03 PM

James Do Hung Lee
Judge (Level 3 (Judge Foundry)), Hall of Fame, Scorekeeper, Tournament Organizer

USA - Northwest

Since losing this feature in WER, we have been making these accommodations manually. We simply assign those players needing a fixed location to a particular table number and write in the changes on the printed seating. Sometimes we can make an announcement to have players at table XX trade with those at table YY. And in some cases, we've created a Table A where the fixed seating individual and his or her opponent will always go.

Sept. 28, 2012 09:09:06 PM

Scott Marshall
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 4 (Judge Foundry)), Hall of Fame

USA - Northwest

I have had as many as three fixed seatings at once, using WER; it's not automatic like DCIR … but it's not bad, and it's never crashed my pairings (as DCIR had been known to do).

First, find a table number that will give this player the space they need - table 1 often works.

Next, do your pairings, like always.  Note which two players are at table 1, and who is paired against your fixed seating player.

Change the pairings - Unmatch the table where the fixed seating should go; Unmatch the table where the fixed seating player is.  Repair the match for the lower-numbered table (usually the fixed seating, going at table 1); then repair the other match, which will automatically end up at the open table.

Finally, print pairings and result slips, as usual.

Hope this helps! – Scott Marshall, L5, Denver