Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Knowledge Pool Scenarios » Post: Schrödinger's Markings - GOLD

Schrödinger's Markings - GOLD

Jan. 29, 2015 03:42:20 PM

Martha Lufkin
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Foundry))

USA - Midatlantic

Originally posted by Jesse Meiring:

So if the player wanted to replace the cards in their main deck with
unwarped cards, how much time would you give them? And what action do you
take if they don't finish sleeving it up before the allotted time?

This was worrying me too. There's already a time extension for the deck check. If I were allowing time to acquire and sleeve 60 cards, I would probably allow 10 minutes. It might be better customer service to the tournament as a whole to present the options as:
1. player may continue the event without a sideboard
2. player may warp the sideboard cards to match the deck.
3. player may finish this round without sideboarding and replace the main deck between rounds (and I could possibly issuing a 5 minute time extension to the next round if needed).

Or does 5 minutes seem reasonable to acquire and sleeve a new deck? I could allow that on top of the deck check time extension. Then if the player chose that option AND I had an available judge I might offer judge assistance with sleeving (but probably after the fact because it's faster for the tournament if the player chooses option 1 or 2).

Jan. 29, 2015 08:16:50 PM

Jack Hesse
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Academy))

USA - North

I would probably also caution Andy about his shuffling. This is probably not the first he has significantly warped the cards in his deck in this manner, and this probably won't be the last. He should either learn to shuffle less violently, or use other methods (maybe pile + mash + a gentle riffle or two instead of 10-20 harsh riffles), or this is going to keep happening.