Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Tournament Operations » Post: dqs for bribery/wagering when present at the table

dqs for bribery/wagering when present at the table

Nov. 1, 2012 06:01:48 PM

Joel Bouzaglou
Judge (Uncertified)

USA - Southwest

So this is related to the question posted recently on judge list about bribery and wagering but since judge list is a dying form of communication and this is only loosely related I decided to post it here. Anyways, my question is this: when called over to a table for an ID or to discuss a split, little innocent df'wan (but mister we always armwrestle for the win at my house…) Or sleazy idiot mcscumbag (Ill give you a 100 dollars to scoop to me….) Offer a bribe or wager do you step in before the other person accepts and dq the briber or do you wait till the other person accepts or refuses then dq one or both if them, or do you simply give them a slap on the wrist since you're already at the table or do you step in before any bribery is even being offered and say you can't do that.

(Sorry if my punctuation or spelling is not the best as I am doing this through a smart phone)

Thanks!
Joel

Nov. 1, 2012 06:10:28 PM

Scott Marshall
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 4 (Judge Foundry)), Hall of Fame

USA - Northwest

Originally posted by Joel Bouzaglou:

I decided to post it here
Great idea, thanks!!!
Originally posted by Joel Bouzaglou:

do you step in before the other person accepts and dq the briber or do you wait till the other person accepts or refuses then dq one or both if them
I'm not a big fan of entrapment, and we are empowered to step in as soon as we're aware of an infraction; the same is true of rolling dice.
I believe there are many who will wait to see if the opponent will take the bait, but I don't think that gives players a good judge-interaction experience.
Consider, also, that the players who know that the offer is wrong are most likely to notice the judge nearby and not fall for the “trap”; doesn't it seem better to quickly educate those who could innocently step into that trap?
Lastly - I like to tell players “If you want to discuss a prize split, concession, draw, etc., with your opponent, and you're not completely sure about legality - just get a judge, and talk to them before making any offer.” I hope it goes without saying that, if a player approaches you and asks “can I offer my opponent $100 to concede, you educate - not DQ them for asking you”.

Thanks! – Scott Marshall, L5, Denver

Nov. 1, 2012 06:46:42 PM

Adam Zakreski
Judge (Uncertified)

Canada

I have on occasion at FNM walked past a table when time runs out and gone through a:

P1: “I guess we draw?”
P2: “That's not good for either of us. We could just roll a-”
Me: “STOOOOOPPPPPP! Don't finish that sentence.”

I'll go to any length to try to stop an unintentional infraction like this before it happens. A DQ at Regular is almost always bad for everyone involved.

At competitive level the stakes are higher as are the expectations we have of the players. I'd be more inclined to let it play out and intervene after the infraction has occurred.