Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Regular REL » Post: Picking up land

Picking up land

May 18, 2015 09:52:59 AM

Mark Young
Judge (Uncertified)

United Kingdom, Ireland, and South Africa

Picking up land

I am not sure if this is a big issue really but could maybe turn into one.

There are a few players (about 2 or 3) at my LGS that, when playing, have a tendency to pick up their lands when untapping or sorting them and adding them back to their hand before placing them on the table again.

So far, there have been no issues and I gently remind them when I see it happen that they should not be doing that, but what more can I do as it still happens?
The players who do it are not likely to cheat in an extra land but one never knows when anyone might try “risk it”.
Personally, I see room for abuse of such a tactic but I want to nip it in the bud before someone does try something. I can see the argument now “It as not a problem before…why did youy not stop me previously…”
I also dont want any new players picking up the habit or other players to start doing the same.

Any help or suggestions please?

May 18, 2015 10:07:19 AM

Toby Hazes
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Academy)), TLC

BeNeLux

Picking up land

So far, there have been no issues and I gently remind them when I see it happen that they should not be doing that, but what more can I do as it still happens?

From the JAR:
“If a player continues to repeat a mistake despite multiple reminders, you may warn them that the next occurrence will result in a Game Loss. Hopefully this final step will not be required, but knowing it is possible should get the player to correct their behavior.”

I guess you should keep track of this for each player individually, so that each player could get the same amount of warning before getting a game loss.
Regular is generally very forgiving but there is room to be more strict if a problem persists.

Edited Toby Hazes (May 18, 2015 10:09:07 AM)

May 18, 2015 04:49:52 PM

Charles Featherer
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Foundry))

USA - Northeast

Picking up land

If it does repeat, try talking to them about it. Ask why they do this? Is it an action they are allowed to do in another card game? See if you can work out with them why they do it.

GL is an issue. But I would hate for it to get to that point. Watch them play. Try to find a small change you can suggest to help them. If they're left handed and pick up the lands with their left, have them move the lands to the far right of their body position. Have them play lands in front. Even the smallest change can make a big difference.

And I do agree - you have to get them to stop this practice. You may feel they are harmless mistakes, but their opponents may not.

May 18, 2015 05:41:53 PM

Bartłomiej Wieszok
Judge (Level 2 (International Judge Program)), TLC, Tournament Organizer

Europe - Central

Picking up land

Well… if they add them to the hand (like, they have other cards in their hand and those lands connect with them) its drawing extra cards. We should remind not to do that, since it would end badly at competitive events. Do it few times and if they don't change their behaviours, give them GL and inform them, that it's unwanted habit. However, if they put their hand (cards) on table and then take lands to rearrange them while untapping - I see no problem with that.