Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Knowledge Pool Scenarios » Post: Should I stay or should I go? - SILVER

Should I stay or should I go? - SILVER

July 13, 2015 03:52:10 PM

Olivier Jansen
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Academy))

USA - Northeast

GPE - GRV - CAUTION for Andy. Why a caution?

Due to “If a player commits an offense, realizes it, and calls a judge over immediately and before he or she could potentially benefit from the offense, the Head Judge has the option to downgrade the penalty without it being considered a deviation, though he or she should still follow any procedures recommended to fix the error”

I believe he's caught the error before any potential benefit could be reaped. As such, since it follows the downgrade path, I'd like to downgrade it. I know some judges believe in “Well, are you going to get any more penalties this event? No? Good, you're getting a warning still”, but I believe that demonstrating that there is no real penalty for immediately catching and calling a judge on yourself encourages players to call judges on their own mistakes. I don't believe in FTMGS for the opponent, but I would tell him “hey, be careful”. The reason for no FTMGS is that it was immediately caught - just not by him.

For the fix: I believe this is simple enough for a rewind, and that leaving things the way they are is more harmful than rewinding. I'd go back to the resolution of CoCo, take the 4 bottom cards + finks + cap, and let A choose new cards.

Edited Olivier Jansen (July 13, 2015 03:55:45 PM)

July 15, 2015 08:05:34 AM

Niels Viaene
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 3 (Judge Academy)), Tournament Organizer

BeNeLux

Hi everyone,

First and foremost, thank you very much for participating in the discussion. Now for the conclusion.

Nathen Millbank nails it square on the head with his analysis. This is indeed a Game Rule Violation for Andy, he resolved a spell wrong, and a Failure to Maintain Game State for Nolan, he had plenty of time to catch the mistake, after all, he let the spell resolve and acknowledged the trigger that resulted from the creature entering the battlefield.

Quite a few people suggested downgrading the penalty here since Andy called the judge on himself before benefiting from it, but there is an additional condition for a downgrade to be possible: “…calls a judge over immediately (as the infraction happens)…” which is not the case here. Even the fact he did not benefit from it is only half true as he now knows his opponent has no response to two damage from a Redcap entering the battlefield.

Now for the fix: There are no partial fixes that apply in this case, so all we are left with is to leave the situation as is or rewind. The latter is pretty easy here, rewinding to the resolution of the Collected Company means taking the Redcap and Finks, the bottom 4 cards of the library and putting them back on top of the library. Collected company is resolving.

We look forward to seeing what you think of our next scenario.

July 15, 2015 12:05:53 PM

Jean-François DURMONT
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Academy))

France

Niels, why a partial roll back of a spell here ? Put six known cards on top is really worse of course but I always thought that we should roll back a spell entirely.

Edited Jean-François DURMONT (July 15, 2015 12:06:12 PM)

July 15, 2015 12:19:49 PM

Scott Marshall
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 4 (Judge Foundry)), Hall of Fame

USA - Northwest

The spell was cast correctly; the error - and the point to which we rewind - is the resolution of that spell.

d:^D