Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Judging Technology » Post: Single day events that run past Midnight

Single day events that run past Midnight

July 28, 2015 04:27:24 AM

Mark Young
Judge (Uncertified)

United Kingdom, Ireland, and South Africa

Hi.

This past Friday, my LGS had their first 6 round FNM.
Also, due to a power outage, we were only able to start play at about 20:30
When it came time to pair round 5, it was after midnight, and WER would not allow me to continue the event without invalidating it.
I turned back my PC system clock so that we could continue but I have a few questions.

1. Was it okay for me to turn back the PC clock to allow the event to continue?
2. If not, should all FNM's finish prior to midnight and if not, then what do we do with the event?
3. Is this a common occurrence for WER? (I have never had an event that ran that late so was my first time encountering the issue)
4. Any other thoughts, comments or ideas, please?

July 28, 2015 05:40:25 AM

Philip Ockelmann
Judge (Level 2 (International Judge Program)), Scorekeeper, Tournament Organizer

German-speaking countries

Concerning 3.: Yes, it is. WER will complain if any event runs past midnight (at least in my experience).
I cannot answer any of the other official questions, but considering that not continuing the event is not really an option either, messing with the PC clock seems like the only reasonable thing to do.

July 28, 2015 08:12:40 AM

Ryan Stapleton
Judge (Level 3 (Judge Academy))

USA - Midatlantic

> On Jul 28, 2015, at 4:28 AM, Mark Young <forum-20065-5e1c@apps.magicjudges.org> wrote:
>
> Hi.
>
> This past Friday, my LGS had their first 6 round FNM.
> Also, due to a power outage, we were only able to start play at about 20:30
> When it came time to pair round 5, it was after midnight, and WER would not allow me to continue the event without invalidating it.
> I turned back my PC system clock so that we could continue but I have a few questions.
>
> 1. Was it okay for me to turn back the PC clock to allow the event to continue?
> 2. If not, should all FNM's finish prior to midnight and if not, then what do we do with the event?
> 3. Is this a common occurrence for WER? (I have never had an event that ran that late so was my first time encountering the issue)
> 4. Any other thoughts, comments or ideas, please?
>
When this happened to us we exported the WER file and then sent it to wizards via the wizards.custhelp.com <http://wizards.custhelp.com/> and they imported it for us. The TO for the store/event will have to be the one to send it as they are authorized for that store.

Thanks
-Ryan