Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Regular REL » Post: Judging in different ways

Judging in different ways

April 13, 2016 02:32:23 AM

Antonio Alcañiz
Judge (Uncertified)

Iberia

I have some players that i´m trying to educate in competitive play. When they play each other in Reg events, i don´t know if it´s legal, even convenient to fix their game errors as they were playing competitive (with no penalty, obiously)
In IPG enforce us to judging the same ignoring age, experience or desire to educate. But i didn,t found anything about it in JAR.

April 13, 2016 02:44:11 AM

Alex de Bruijne
Judge (Level 2 (International Judge Program))

BeNeLux

I have a similiar situation.
But instead of fixing their error in a IPG way, I fix the error according to the JAR and just tell them how it would be fixed at competetive.
At the third GRV I tell them they would've gotten a gameloss at competetive ;-)

I think it's important to treat all players in an event the same. So if most players get their penalty fixed in accordance with the JAR, all players must get their penalties fixed in accordance with the JAR.

April 13, 2016 02:49:02 AM

Erik-Sander Kwebeman
Judge (Uncertified)

BeNeLux

I do almost the exact same thing as Alex.
I give my rulings based on the JAR, the difference is that I will educate my players on IPG rulings/fixes when they aren't playing anymore (During the event if I have the time OR after the event if I don't have time during the event).

This to keep the game and event flowing.

April 13, 2016 04:24:20 AM

Flu Tschi
Judge (Uncertified), Scorekeeper, Tournament Organizer

German-speaking countries

Where is the Problem?

If the player wanted to prepare for bigger events (GP's, Pro Tour..) and simular and they ask you to educate them on a competitive level just do it.

In the end, its all about the happyness of the overall tournament / playerbase / community.

April 13, 2016 04:49:41 AM

Mark Mc Govern
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Academy)), TLC

United Kingdom, Ireland, and South Africa

The JAR is quite flexible when it comes to events. The primary goal is fun and education, with consistency in rulings a close second. At Competitive, consistency is first which is why we must follow the IPG.

So in my opinion there is nothing particularly wrong with applying IPG fixes at your Regular events with two important caveats. (1) let the players know at the start of your event, and see if they're OK with that. (2) if you know your players, you'll probably know the ones who are newer and who probably wouldn't be ok with Comp REL fixes. They may not speak up for themselves and say that they don't want it, so use your judgment in a match between a “newer” and a “competitive” player. Maybe fix it at regular and describe the fix at competitive as has been suggested by others.

Oh, one more thing. Don't game loss anyone - just “warning” them repeatedly :)

April 13, 2016 04:57:50 AM

Brandon Salaz
Judge (Uncertified)

USA - Southwest

I believe that even though the player might want to practice for a Comp REL event, it is important to be consistent in applying the penalties based upon the set guidelines. For example, a newer player could observe the Competitive REL fix, and believe that it is appropriate and what is to be expected at Regular.

The main driver for my philosophy is found in the Introduction of the MTR:

All players are treated equally and share responsibilities according to the Rules Enforcement Level (REL) of the
tournament. Both players and officials should cooperate to achieve their common goal of running a proper DCI sanctioned tournament.

If we apply different penalties / fixes based upon the player or intent to educate, I believe we start to stray from the philosophy of the Magic Tournament Rules in general.

April 14, 2016 08:04:52 AM

Antonio Alcañiz
Judge (Uncertified)

Iberia

Thanks to all. Now it´s clearly for me:
Is important to educate, but more important to treat in the same way all players in the same event, so if i want to fix (not sanction) like competitive in my Reg events, i will make it with all players and with his agree.