Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Competitive REL » Post: Scorekeeping your first PTQ

Scorekeeping your first PTQ

Jan. 30, 2013 02:25:36 PM

Devin Smith
Judge (Uncertified), Scorekeeper

United Kingdom, Ireland, and South Africa

Four comments:
1. Setting up multi-print to print everything you need at once is super helpful. You can set it up to print the right number of pairings/standings/result slips ahead of time, then two clicks and everything will be printed.

2. Using the keyboard to enter results instead of mousing around WER is much, much faster. Type the table number into the box, hit the right keys for any drops, then the result on the slip, and you're back to the table number field. A surprising number of people don't know about this.

3. The tip about result slips-cutting machine assumes A4 paper and margins in mm, I think: you should mention this. For people on Letter paper (i.e. North Americans) it should Just Work.

4. Even better than a random seating for round one of a draft is an entire draft tree. This works for cross pairings or random pairings. Just have a sheet with spaces for the winners (and losers, if it's not single elim) showing who they'll play in the next round. Then the judge running the 8-mans doesn't have to interact with the computer at all after he gets his eight names–the results can be input at any time.

Jan. 30, 2013 05:21:17 PM

Emilien Wild
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 3 (International Judge Program)), Grand Prix Head Judge

BeNeLux

Using keyboard to enter results doesn't work with every keyboards. If you use a Belgian setting, for example, it doesn't.

Jan. 30, 2013 05:54:32 PM

Jordan Baker
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Foundry)), Scorekeeper

USA - North

2 additions I think would be pertinent:

- When you mention wrapping slips and storing them, I would add that they should ideally be sorted by table number. The benefits it provides towards a rebuild make that extra step worth it.

- A note somewhere in the article (I'm not sure where on a quick glance) that any change that affects the tournament must be brought to the HJ's attention first. This would be to cover for situations like slip/entry discrepancies, or situations where a re-pair may be in order. In practice, this is something that is different at every event, (and experience benefits these situations in more ways than one) but it's something that I feel would be very important to state clearly and definitively in the case of a new SK.

Jan. 31, 2013 04:45:01 AM

James Do Hung Lee
Judge (Level 3 (Judge Foundry)), Hall of Fame, Scorekeeper, Tournament Organizer

USA - Northwest

I have had issues with seating in pods and then wanting WER to pair between pods. Has this issue come up with others or is the use of pod seating only going to work at events where I would want to pair within pods for the rest of my event?

Jan. 31, 2013 04:47:25 AM

Callum Milne
Forum Moderator
Judge (Uncertified)

Canada

WER should have an option to allow or disallow cross-pod pairings; I don't have it open right now to check, but IIRC there's a checkbox when you're setting up the pods.

Feb. 6, 2013 07:40:38 PM

Dustin De Leeuw
Judge (Level 3 (Judge Academy)), L3 Panel Lead, Tournament Organizer

BeNeLux

Thanks Devin and Jordan, I included your comments as well!

There is so much stuff I didn't think of myself, I really appreciate all your help and feedback to make this article as comprehensive as possible. I think it should be ready for posting by now ^^

I did not include anything about Competitive drafts with pods, as they never happen at PTQ's.