Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Regular REL » Post: Would you add these triggers to the stack or not?

Would you add these triggers to the stack or not?

May 8, 2016 12:14:43 PM

Dustin De Leeuw
Judge (Level 3 (Judge Academy)), L3 Panel Lead, Tournament Organizer

BeNeLux

Hey all!

I would like to hear your opinions on a situation that happened during the Standard Game Day last weekend. Anton controls Catacomb Sifter and 2 Eldrazi Scion tokens. In Nolan's turn, Nolan casts a board wipe, destroying all Anton's creatures. Nolan is now tapped out and passes the turn.
Anton untaps, draws a card, casts and resolves Transgress the Mind, then realizes that he forgot his triggers from the Sifter. Anton calls the judge and asks if he can still add those triggers to the stack now. Would you allow that or not, and most importantly, why (not)?

Relevant section from the JAR:
A player forgets a triggered ability (one that uses the words “when,” “whenever,” or “at the beginning”, usually at the start of the ability's text)
These abilities are considered missed if the player did not acknowledge the ability in any way at the point that it required choices or had a visible in-game effect. If the ability includes the word “may,” assume the player chose not to perform it. Otherwise, use your judgement to decide if putting the trigger on the stack now would be too disruptive - don’t add it to the stack if significant decisions have been made based on the effect not happening! Unlike other illegal actions (which must be pointed out), players may choose whether or not to point out their opponent's missed triggers, though we should encourage them to do so.

May 8, 2016 12:24:30 PM

Matt Marheine
Judge (Level 3 (Judge Foundry))

USA - Northwest

I wouldn't, for 2 reasons.

1) There's a tournament shortcut about forgetting to scry.
2) More importantly, Anton has access to more information than he would have at the correct time, namely the contents of Nolan's hand. Resolving Transgress sounds pretty “significant” to me in this context.

May 9, 2016 01:51:36 AM

Edward Bell
Judge (Uncertified)

United Kingdom, Ireland, and South Africa

Otherwise, use your judgement to decide if putting the trigger on the stack now would be too disruptive - don’t add it to the stack if significant decisions have been made based on the effect not happening!

I think drawing a card puts us into the realm where we shouldn't add to the stack.

An out the box option would be to allow only one Scry (i.e. they can now decide if the now top/then second card should have been scried to the bottom as this would be a legal outcome of the correct resolution of the triggers).

May 9, 2016 03:23:10 AM

Dustin De Leeuw

BeNeLux

Thanks for the replies! I'll have to admit that I forgot that we have this brand new shortcut in the MTR… which makes this whole scenario kind of moot. Thanks for reminding me!

May 9, 2016 10:45:42 AM

Scott Marshall
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 4 (Judge Foundry)), Hall of Fame

USA - Northwest

I have to point out, it's up to Nolan, not Anton, as to whether or not those triggers would get added to the stack…
If the triggered ability isn’t covered by the previous two paragraphs, the opponent chooses whether the triggered ability is added to the stack.

That's an aside - I agree with Matt, just default to he Scry'd and left the card on top both times.

d:^D

May 9, 2016 10:48:59 AM

Dustin De Leeuw

BeNeLux

Please note that this question was posted in the Regular REL forum, so we use the JAR and not the IPG ;)

May 9, 2016 10:50:52 AM

Scott Marshall
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 4 (Judge Foundry)), Hall of Fame

USA - Northwest

Oh, silly me - I'll admit, I don't often consider things in the Regular REL context! :D

May 26, 2016 02:38:10 AM

Gilles Demarle
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Academy))

France

I stronlgy agree with Matt here.
Without the information gained with the Transgress the mind, i would have think a bit and probably allow AP to scry 1 (and tell him that the card he drew for the turn was “scryed to the top”)

But with transgress the mind it's way too late for letting him scry and it would be very very unfair for Nolan : Anton forgot his triggers and get a huge benefit from that miss as he can now scry depending of what he saw in Nolan's hand.

May 26, 2016 05:24:28 PM

Dustin De Leeuw

BeNeLux

This confuses me. First you state that you strongly agree with Matt (who correctly references the MTR that nowadays states that “A player who does not Scry when instructed to is assumed to have chosen to leave the cards in the same order.”) and then you say that you would let the player scry 1, which is a very creative fix :s

No matter if there is a Transgress the Mind or any advantage or any other irrelevant circumstances, the MTR covers what to do when a scry is forgotten, even at Regular, and even if I did not think of that before posting the original question in this topic ;)