Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Tournament Operations » Post: Are byes legal at non-GP tournaments? Are invitationals legal?

Are byes legal at non-GP tournaments? Are invitationals legal?

Feb. 4, 2013 08:25:46 AM

Petr Hudeček
Judge (Uncertified)

Europe - Central

I'd like to follow up on David's question from November:

1. Is it legal for the organizer to award byes for sanctioned tournaments (either Regular or Competitive)? I assume the answer is no, but still I'd like to check. If the answer is yes, can the criteria be arbitrary? Does it matter whether the tournament is Premier?

2. Is it legal for the organizer to run invitation-only tournaments? i.e. having “qualification tournaments” for some kind of main event, where only the best players from the qualifications would be able to play and all others would be barred from participation? I assume that's a yes, because StarCityGames seems to be doing it but why would this be allowed and not byes?

Feb. 4, 2013 10:50:58 AM

Scott Marshall
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 4 (Judge Foundry)), Hall of Fame

USA - Northwest

1. No, not for sanctioned events. For unsanctioned events, you can do things like that.

2. Again, only for unsanctioned events; the qualifiers you refer to could probably be sanctioned, but the invites or byes or other play advantages awarded would have to be used in a non-sanctioned event.

Note that it is conceivable that someone could get permission from Organized Play for an exception - but I don't anticipate that happening for most local events.

d:^D

Feb. 4, 2013 11:07:26 AM

Scott Marshall
Forum Moderator

USA - Northwest

Whoops - I mean “Wizards Play Network”, not Organized Play. If a store/TO wants to run something unusual, it's always a good idea to start with your WPN rep.

d:^D

Feb. 4, 2013 11:17:17 AM

Jurgen Baert
Judge (Level 3 (International Judge Program)), Grand Prix Head Judge, L3 Panel Lead, Scorekeeper, Tournament Organizer

BeNeLux

If you have an advanced store, you have access to WPN Premium
Tournaments. These events offer a higher PWP multiplier and can,
indeed, offer byes or work on an invite-only basis. There are a few
restrictions that apply.

However, you need to talk to your WPN representative about organizing
these kinds of events. They'll be happy to discuss details with you
and help you set things up!

Some more information at:
http://www.wizards.com/magic/tcg/Events.aspx?x=mtg/tcg/events/wpn/premium

Jurgen

On Mon, Feb 4, 2013 at 5:07 PM, Scott Marshall
<forum-2774@apps.magicjudges.org> wrote:

Feb. 13, 2013 05:41:30 PM

Darcy Alemany
Judge (Uncertified), Scorekeeper

Canada

Originally posted by Scott Marshall:

2. Again, only for unsanctioned events; the qualifiers you refer to could probably be sanctioned, but the invites or byes or other play advantages awarded would have to be used in a non-sanctioned event.
But what about MTR Section 10.3?

Magic Tournament Rules 10.3
Tournament Organizers may hold and sanction invitation-only non-Premier tournaments normally, as long as they offer a sufficient number of qualifying tournaments in advance to ensure that all players have a chance to qualify.

As for why it's allowed, but not byes… I couldn't tell you. But I know that there is no mention of byes being permissible anywhere in the MTR, as least to the best of my knowledge.

Feb. 13, 2013 07:06:07 PM

Gareth Pye
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Academy))

Ringwood, Australia

Byes only make sense for sufficiently large events. Any store that is likely to run such and event has access to running them via their WPN Advanced status so they can talk to the WPN rep about running them.

Feb. 13, 2013 07:31:06 PM

Scott Marshall
Forum Moderator

USA - Northwest

Darcy, I'd forgotten about that 10.3 - thanks for posting that! And, yes, that was added - and we've all seen it in action, with Star City, TCG, and other qualifying series events.

But, like I said before - check with your WPN rep, who can (probably) help you clearly define “a sufficient number of qualifying tournaments”. (I have no idea what that requires…)

Feb. 20, 2013 09:54:54 PM

Emmanuel Leal

USA - Southwest

So its possible to get byes for a PTQ?

Feb. 20, 2013 10:42:20 PM

Gareth Pye

Ringwood, Australia

No. Your WPN rep will not let you run a PTQ with byes. All PTQ are run the same.