Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Regular REL » Post: New missed trigger policy.

New missed trigger policy.

Feb. 4, 2013 09:34:08 AM

Cris Plyler
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Academy))

USA - Central

I saw that players no longer have to remind their opponents about missed trigger at reg REL too. However what about judges? If we are judging at an FNM and notice a player who missed a trigger should we mention it or simply let it go? Would the answer change if it's a detrimental trigger?

Feb. 4, 2013 10:41:52 AM

Bret Siakel
Judge (Level 1 (Judge Academy))

USA - Northwest

Judges should not intervene in a missed trigger situation unless they intend to issue a Warning or have reason to suspect that the controller is intentionally missing his or her triggered abilities.

Quoted from Toby's blog on the new trigger policies.

LINK

Edited Bret Siakel (Feb. 4, 2013 10:42:54 AM)

Feb. 4, 2013 11:34:27 AM

Cris Plyler

USA - Central

Originally posted by Bret Siakel:

Judges should not intervene in a missed trigger situation unless they intend to issue a Warning or have reason to suspect that the controller is intentionally missing his or her triggered abilities.

Quoted from Toby's blog on the new trigger policies.

LINK

That is for competitive REL (and professional) tournaments. It even states at the end:

From Toby Elliott's blog:
In general, each revision of the policy has gotten us closer to something that makes Competitive REL players and judges happy and I’m hopeful that this version continues the streak.

Edited Cris Plyler (Feb. 4, 2013 11:35:51 AM)

Feb. 4, 2013 01:12:34 PM

Bret Siakel
Judge (Level 1 (Judge Academy))

USA - Northwest

I see your point. It wasn't explicitly stated anywhere.

With the change to triggers at regular REL to align with Competitive and Pro, I interpreted it as we treat it similarly to how it is done at competitive, instead of issuing penalties we’d do a bit of coaching.

Edited Bret Siakel (Feb. 4, 2013 01:21:41 PM)

Feb. 5, 2013 02:15:17 AM

Andrea Mondani
Judge (Level 2 (International Judge Program)), Scorekeeper

Italy and Malta

Interesting point, I've been judging a draft last weekend and I pointed at a missed trigger, and I'd also like to know how to behave from next friday on (until a new change come :lol: )

Feb. 7, 2013 03:20:45 PM

James Bennett
Judge (Uncertified)

USA - Southwest

At Regular, apply the JAR's remedies. Not the IPG's remedies. Section 4.4 of the Tournament Rules tells you, for all RELs, how to determine when a trigger is missed.

Feb. 7, 2013 07:36:55 PM

Cris Plyler

USA - Central

Originally posted by James Bennett:

At Regular, apply the JAR's remedies. Not the IPG's remedies. Section 4.4 of the Tournament Rules tells you, for all RELs, how to determine when a trigger is missed.

I'm not arguing about the remedy, what I'm wondering is if a judge should intervene if they see a player has missed a non-optional trigger? In fact I was actually going to ask for an official answer to this since another judge and I got into an arguement about whether the judge should speak up or ignore the missed trigger. I know that for competitive and profesional REL's the judge ignores missed triggers for non-detrimental triggers, but the IPG doesn't apply to regular REL. Thanks….
Cris Plyler

Feb. 8, 2013 12:09:21 PM

Craig Reeder
Judge (Uncertified)

USA - Great Lakes

I understand the confusion on intervention and would like an official answer on this too.

Feb. 8, 2013 12:26:17 PM

Scott Marshall
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 4 (Judge Foundry)), Hall of Fame

USA - Northwest

While we wait for the Official answer, I'll pause this topic…