Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Tournament Operations » Post: Prerelease prize payout looks fishy

Prerelease prize payout looks fishy

July 1, 2016 05:20:30 PM

Justin Miyashiro
Judge (Uncertified)

USA - Northwest

Is “2 packs per player” intended to be what is received or what is in the prize pool? That is, if you have ten players, they each get 2 packs of the new set, or there are 20 packs of the new set in the pool for them?

Also, I suspect the “at least 2 packs per player” may be “recommended” in the sense that if you do less than that, your players may stop coming to your prereleases:)

Sent from my iPad

July 1, 2016 05:57:09 PM

Dominik Chłobowski
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Academy))

Canada

If all players each got 2 packs each of the new set, then why would those
be offered as “prize packs” instead of coming with entry?

2016-07-01 18:21 GMT-04:00 Justin Miyashiro <

July 1, 2016 09:09:46 PM

Daniel Ruffolo
Judge (Level 1 (Judge Academy)), Scorekeeper, Tournament Organizer

Canada

The prize pool contains 2 packs per player, you can distribute them however you like.

Sadly I see a lot of stores making really top heavy prize distributions, where for 20 players (40packs) they may only give out packs to the top 3 or 4 players. I prefer, given the more casual nature of a pre-release and the excitement of new sets, to push prizes down to at least the top 50%.

But as Wizards -gives you- 2 packs for every 1 pre-release kit they allocate you, putting fewer than 2 packs into the prize pool for every 1 person in your event is pretty blatantly misusing their prize support.

Edited Daniel Ruffolo (July 1, 2016 09:11:00 PM)

July 2, 2016 12:09:54 PM

Philip Ockelmann
Judge (Level 2 (International Judge Program)), Scorekeeper, Tournament Organizer

German-speaking countries

Semantics-note:
'Recommended' often means ‘required’ in Wizards-language, at least in german.
E.g. Wizards also ‘recommends’ to not sell any product before the release on the flyer that came with the prerelease pack of EMN.

Also, in the german flyer, it specifically states that you should have two packs of EMN per player in the prizepool, and then ‘encourages to distribute other prizes, but they may not be other EMN-product’.

I can provide pictures of that flyer if wanted, but this sounds like we really cannot give out more than 2 EMN-boosters per person. That was the same at prior pre-releases.

July 2, 2016 12:15:17 PM

Scott Marshall
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 4 (Judge Foundry)), Hall of Fame

USA - Northwest

I think we're kind of “piling on”, to use some US-centric slang; there's a lot of the same things being said, and there's a lot of information being shared that really isn't in our domain.

It's not a judge issue; this is a WPN and TO topic. The reality, however, is that store owners (the TO) often expect their judge(s) to be the experts, and won't bother to learn anything they need to know. Since I can't pretend to know how you and your store owner work together, I can't simply say “tell them to ask their WPN rep” and be done with this.

However, I must caution anyone & everyone reading this thread: what you see here may not be accurate; for certainty, you must work with the TO's WPN rep.

d:^D